1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap shooting clinics for women

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by j9, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j9

j9 TS Member

I am very interested in taking a trapshooting clinic this Fall. I have not found anything online for clinics given in Oklahoma or nearby states. Does anyone have a suggestion.

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Actually, Oklahoma is pretty close to north Texas. Call Britt Robinson and arrange to meet him in Post, TX at the Palmer Gun Club. Or, if you some of your friends to join you, he'll come to you. If you want his contact information, give me a shout.

3. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

He has a unique way to teach doubles doesn't he Jeri.
    Allen

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo has been know to teach the ladies a thing or two....we will be in Texas in mid-November to watch our daughter's basketball tournament. Maybe we can work out some time either coming or going, if interested call our home 573-985-8237.

5. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Another you might consider is Richard Marshall Jr in nearby Nebraska. He helped first year shooter Janessa Beaman reach the 27 yard line, run 200 straight at the Texas State shoot, and she has an outside chance of making the All-American team, not to mention Rookie of the Year. I can't guarantee you would get the same results, but you may get better? I would think you could learn from any of the great teachers out there, which includes Leo, Harlan, Kay, Nora, Phil, or others. I would suggest to contact them and see which fits your personality and style best, which you are most comfortable with. Any one of them will be worth the money and investment, not to mention the frustration trying to learn on your own. Also, there is Brett Erickson from Olympic fame right there in Oklahoma, who is now teaching.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Colo...how long has Janessa been shooting trap? Just wondering if she shot practice or leagues beforehand, and for how long.

I always try to follow all of the shooters who do really well, to see what I can learn from their past and current habits.

7. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Allen, I'll be working with him on Thursday when I arrive in Post for the East vs. West shoot. I'm going to ask him about that method and if it will work for gals.

8. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Recurvy,

Janessa shot a shotgun for the first time around Sept. 2004 at the age of 13. She was shooting doves and I thought she was doing really well, so I told her she should try trap. She hit 19/25 the first time she ever tried, which I thought was amazing, since she was crying the whole time about how much it hurt. I don't know how she could see through such blurry eyes, let alone hit anything!

She shot in her first league that winter, where she was one of the older team members at the age of 14, where her team won the D Class trophy. She practiced some, but sort of lost interest(the mall and her girlfriends were more fun I guess). She continued to shoot in the leagues, forming an all kids team that went on to win C Class, then lost in B Class, crushed all the teams in A Class, then were robbed of their trophy in AA Class (that's a whole nother story!!)

What really got her interested was the summer of 2006, where she traveled with a kid I coached and his family to many registered shoots. He went on to lead the nation in handicap for sub-juniors that year (Jake Warner). She liked the traveling and meeting the other kids, but hated when they all had to leave to go shoot, and she didn't shoot. They all asked her why she didn't shoot, and she didn't really have an answer (or even a trap gun). This changed when Jake wanted a precision fit stock, and they didn't make one for the K-80 RT. So he "inherited" his Dad's gun, and the RT was retired. His family offered it to Janessa to use until Jake's little brother grew into it. I didn't like the idea of borrowing a gun that we couldn't afford, but liked how excited she was over shooting, so gave in.

At that point, her highest score in her life was a 94 from the 16. We went to Delta for their Labor Day shoot, where she shot handicap for her first registered targets. She broke a 95, then a 96, then a 99, then a 92. I still don't know where they came from, but she is the rare individual that seems to shine brighter on a bigger stage than in practice. She gained 5 yards at her first 5 shoots, winning the Remington Nitro Handicap at the Kansas Fall handicap with another 99, and then winning the Remington Nitro Handicap at the Autumn Grand with yet another 99. At the Autumn Grand she also ran her first 100 in singles, and shot registered doubles for the first time, where she went from 86, to 95, to 99!! It was unbelievable!! She practiced doubles a couple times before the Autumn Grand, where she consistently shot 92's. I told her if I knew she could shoot doubles like that, I would have let her shoot them the whole time.

She very rarely shoots practice. Her mental game is very strong, and she doesn't seem interested in shooting practices, so we just don't. Most people don't believe us when we tell them that, but it is the truth. Her weakest point can be her attitude, where she can get mad and give targets away. This will hopefully change with maturity. It is the same passion that drives her to be good that can also drive her to be too hard on herself and others. She strives for perfection, and isn't happy when she doesn't achieve it. She is so much fun to watch when she does it right, but it can be painful to watch her implode when she doesn't. It has been a roller coaster of a year, with some really high highs, and some pretty low lows. She far exceeded any thoughts of what I would have guessed before the year started, but I guess it only shows that as long as you dream big, anything is possible (even if nobody has ever done it before you).

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Maybe some day Janessa can meet and talk with my daughter. Sara is little..,.4'11" and 15 years old. She did start to shoot when I did (summer of '06), but she was even smaller then, and got "beat up" even with the youth guns. I was new, so I really didn't know what to do for her.

She recently expressed an interest in shooting again, but I won't have her back until summer (she's away in a private school), aside from short breaks. Maybe she will want to travel with me to some shoots and we will run across each other. Good for her to have role models that is closer to her age...

10. dustquest

dustquest TS Member

I attended a clinic with Harlan Campbell Jr and absolutely loved it. There were ladies, kids, veteran shooters and beginners. Harlan has a great way with people and his teaching style is excellent. He schedules clinics all over the country each year and his training program is almost finished for this year.

Here is his website: http://www.harlancampbelljr.com/

Keep your eye on it and you can see when he publishes his schedule for next year. Harlan is very good at returning email so drop him a line and he may be able to give you a better idea when he may be near you.

He gets an A+ from me and I am a tough grader!!

11. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Recurvy,

I think that would be great. I am sure one day we will actually get to meet. BTW, all my dates were off by one year.First time was 2005, traveled with Jake 2007, etc. I'm getting old and can't seem to keep track of dates any more. Oh well. Congratulations on your fine shooting in Missouri. Talk to you later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.