1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap shooting book

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bob radasch, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

any recommendations on a good book explaining the stratigies of trap shooting??

Bob

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

My strategy is to win by breaking more targets than everyone else. It's the tactics to achieve this strategy that I need help with.

Pat Ireland

3. starship

starship TS Member

Trap Shooting is a Game of Opposite by Dick Bennett is great for practicle
    how-to advice and The Little Trapshooting Book by Frank Little is great for advice and theory.

It seems like I find something new or something I've forgotten each time I look through either one of them.

4. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Pat, you and I have never meet. I enjoy reading your input on this site. Your comment here to Bob seems right to the point, but I dont think it is just what he's looking for???
    I enjoy your sense of humor, you know, I never looked at shooting like that before I read those words of wisdom,,,, Thanks.

Have a great Sunday evening,

Matt

5. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

Hi Pat
    after reading your post and thinking about it- your right- what Im looking for is a book recommendation on trap shooting tactics

Bob

6. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

IMHO stay away from Russels Trapshooting Secrets & Precision Shooting. IMHO the biggest POS trap shooting books ever written. Unfortunately I bought both of them after reading his website and falling for his sales pitch. The books are so bad I couldn't give them away, I had to toss in a case of beer just so the garbage men would take them away! O.K. that last one was not exactly true, I gave them away and the person I gave them to tossed them into the burn pile at his house.

There are not all that many books available anymore. More and more of the top shooters are going the DVD route. Mr. Benetts and Mr. Little's books are definitely two very good ones.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The James Russel books provide a lot of valuable information. The chapter on x-ray vision can make a big improvement in your shooting skills. HMB

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Bob,

I have just a little over two full years under my belt on the ATA circuit. When I started I read every book out there, every magazine article too. I bought and borrowed videos and DVDs.

I was also influenced, both voluntarily and involuntarily, by fellow trap shooters; most of which had good intentions. Spurred on by much of what I read, I purchased the time of a couple of coaches--all this in the thirsty quest for knowledge and success.

Throughout this whole phase I learned much. The most important of which was that there is no secret nugget or two that is the all encompassing answer to pristine scores.

One day at Elysburg during my first full season I shot a 97 in the morning's 16s event (great for me) followed by a 68 in the afternoon's Hcp. I was really bummed. The emotional swing of the day was demoralizing.

That evening over dinner I asked my friend Martin Wilbur to watch me the next morning with the hope his extensive experience would reveal my fatal flaws. I will never forget what he told me after the round and I'm forever thankful for his sage advice.

In his famous Kansas drawl he said, "Guy, you look good out there my friend. Your basics are sound, good swing and all the rest." He continued, "All you need now is to get some targets under your belt."

At first I was a bit let down by his advice, but the more I contemplated it, the more I saw the simple wisdom within. Of course when the Pheasant Master says get some targets under your belt, he means a butt-ton!

I've taken his advice. I continue to focus on the basics, which are virtually universal no matter whose book or tape you consume. Now, I'm doing my time on the trap field collecting targets, getting steadily better while having a blast in the meantime.

My advice to you Bob is to read ALL of the books. Watch ALL the tapes, get ALL of the magazines, and also consult those who know. This will give you the basics. Keep them always in the forefront--then get some targets under your belt and enjoy the ride.

Guy Babin

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- You have inspired me and I think I will write a book on how to shoot trap.

Chapter 1- Get a gun that fits you.

Chapter 2 - Keep your head on the comb

Chapter 3 - Learn how to see the target with your head on the comb.

Chapter 4 - Listen to advice but remember what works for others may not work for you.

Chapter 5- Shoot a lot and have fun.

Pat Ireland

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go to the Remington website and read/download "Fundamentals of Trap".

HM

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pat's book has to be the shortest on any subject I've ever seen. No need to publish now, eh Pat?.....Bob Dodd

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I've heard great things about the new Phil Ross book...I believe it's advetised at this site.

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Starship and gdbabin got it right. Go for it...

14. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

Hi pat- good advice

When you publish your book - do I get any of the royalties???
    Bob

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- The book is now available through "Copy and Paste Publishers". The advertised cost is two cents but discounts are available without asking. If fact, if anyone sends me a stamped, self addressed envelope, I will pay them two cents for reading the book.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
all about trap shooting books
remington how to shoot book trap
trap shooting book

trap shooting books

trap shooting books and videos