1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap shooting beginer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by black eagle, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black eagle

black eagle TS Member

im just begining to shoot trap,my question is whats the best chock and shot size to use shooting clays when there thrown straight out going away from you most shots are taken at about 30 or 35yds,im shooting a 12g.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Modified to full chokes are the standard for 16 yard targets as you describe (shot at under 35 yards from where you stand) with a leaning to Imp. mod or full. As far as shot size, you'll find folks here shooting everything from 1 1/8 oz of #7.5 to 7/8 oz of #9s and various combinations with those parameters. If I was limited to just one load, it would be 1 oz. of #8s for all shots through an Imp. Mod. choke.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have my best success with 1-1/8 ounces of #8 shot through an Improved Modified choke.

Can't go wrong with that setup. Good luck.

4. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I would tell you to go pattern your gun with 7 1/2's and 8's see which throws the best pattern and start with a modified choke because it gives you a little more margin of error. Then once you get on them for sure at practice shoot a full as it will teach you to shoot more precisely.

My .02 for a new shooter.

Nick

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What type of gun are you going to use? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.