1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting and Beer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I recently visited a friend in a neboring state for a couple of days. He wanted to try trap so I brought couple of trap guns and shells as he lives three blocks from a local club. Prior to going to the range ( about an hour) he offered me a beer I said "no thanks not when I'm going to shoot". Neither of us had one and we talked about trap shooting, safety and what to do and when on the line and off. I tried to stress safe gun handling when shooting and certainly no alchol. Our plan was for him to watch some shooters and see how it was done before trying it. Imagine my amazement when we went to the club and shooters were walking around with a shotgun in one hand and a beer in the other. My club, has a sign that states if you've had any alchol don't even think about shooting here. What do you think about beer and shooting and is it allowed at your club? Oh we left and never fired a shot.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not at any clubs where I shot. Shoot first and drink later.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

you left out a word.....Trap Shooting, THEN Beer.....

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Nice cast, almost had me for a second there. Because in this day and age no club could be run like that and stay open for long. Spit. Break-em all. Jeff

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jeff has it right. Allowing any alcoholic beverage to be served or consumed on the club property could lead to all kinds of legal and finacial problems if someone had one too many and had an accident on club grounds or on the way home from the club. The lawyers would be on the club like white on rice.

Eric

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I recommend 1oz low power loads while drinkin' and shootin'...I always used to spill damn near half a bottle with Silver Bullets

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Don't think it's a problem at registered shoots, but watch out on "league night". Seems like every club/league I've been at has at least one team like that - and you are lucky if there's only one. Someone "walking around with a can of beer and a shotgun" would be wonderful after spending the summer watching the one team we have.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I quit drinking beer when they took the beer holders off the line!!

Curt

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

mixer, where did you get that? Have you been hiding in the closet for the last half century?

Alcohol has been present at gun clubs since the repeal of Prohibition.

A significant portion of our income is beer. This allows us to keep shooting costs at an acceptable level.

The fact that there have been few if any incidents of any sort bespeaks the high level of shooter responsibility in our sport.l

Shoot first, drink later. Good friends and camaraderie are not injured by a couple of beers. We have a mix of teetotalers and consumers at about a 40/60 ratio at our club. (on my squad, even.)

You should do a little research before bloviating.

HM

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

HM,

Where I shoot there is a very strict "NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES" policy that is strictly enforced. Your's seems to be a private club, mine is a county run operation and no one seems to have a problem with the rules. Different strokes......etc.

Eric

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO, around here all the trap clubs are public, member operated, and all serve beer & soda. Wisconsin has a separate license for beer. If you want to serve hard liquor the requirements for a license are stricter, and plus it's a hassle with all the different products.

A couple floor coolers with 7 or 8 types of beer and the same of soda is the deal.

I know of NO clubs not serving alcohol in this area. Waukesha is the only one, 120 miles away, and that was because of Vic, the old curmudgeon.

This was a heated topic last year. Some people are very anti alcohol re shooting, and it is my belief that's caused by the fact that that is the way it is in their area so it's gospel to them.

If you go to the Spring Grand they have a nice little bar in the corner, mixed drinks and all. (good food, too).

HM

12. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Shoot first - drink second - then drive home - good luck:)

FRedmon

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Alcohol has no place at a shooting club IMO

John C. Saubak

14. Kent

Kent TS Member

Never drink and shoot but afterwards whats your problem?

[​IMG]

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Drinking then driving is dangerous, and illegal !! Drinking then shooting should be NO different, except some clubs "tolerate" it. GO FIGURE!!

I agree that a couple of beers AFTER shooting is OK! JM2Cs!

AndyH ;-)

16. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I had a club I use to shoot at regular, and I did that because they had no booze on the premises. Last few times I went I saw a few cans being held, and inquired about it. Was told by the pres of the club it wasn't hurting anybody, don't shoot there much these days.

Deb

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Shooting and alcohol have gone together like bread and butter for more years than any of us can count. I see it from both sides, having drank up my lifetime allowed maximum 18 years ago..... If alcohol is served at a club, the rule is easy: AFTER THE TRAPS ARE LOCKED UP FOR THE DAY, THE BAR OPENS. A few drinks with friends at the club poses no problems when done in moderation. The problem arises when a shooter has had more than enough and decides to drive home. The liability issue becomes looming at this point. Is the gun club liable for supplying the alcohol to the shooter if he gets into an accident and hurts, or kills someone? A good lawyer will go after EVERYBODY that has any part of supplying any alcohol under these circumstances. I know of clubs that only will allow alcohol after shooting if the members bring it themselves so the club cannot be held responsible for selling, or supplying it. I, personally, don't have any problem with a club that decides one way or the other. I do, however, have a problem with a club that allows for alcohol consumption during the day while events are being shot... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. mrpheyed

mrpheyed TS Member

Is there a Beer Tent at Sparta? I fondly remember my time spent at the Beer Tent at Vandalia. Responsible adult social activity and enjoyment. Ok...bring on the P C Police!!! Tim

19. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

What brand is it?

BK

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

This guy thought a couple beers would hurt anything either. We drove past this accident last Monday north of Pigeon Forge.

Randy Zlobec thought he would have a couple beers at the car show last weekend and then drive his pickup and pull a trailer. He parked his pickup on top of a Mazda Protege and caused a 6 vehicle pile-up that injured 18 people. 1 adult and one small child are critical, another small child is serious and 15 more were treated for injuries. The driver fled the scene and they had to chase him down.

These innocent people were just going about their business enjoying a holiday weekend like you and me when this drunk turned their world upside down. What a senseless act of cruelty. Why take the chance?

Yea, I know. It will never happen to us. It always happens to someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.