1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting after LASIK

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JAC1, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAC1

JAC1 Member

I am considering having LASIK preformed on my eyes. I currently wear contacts and my eye doctor says I would be a perfect candidate. I am interested in hearing other shooters experiences specifically with trap shooting after the surgery. Are you able to see the target any clearer then before the surgery with your corrective lenses? Any thoughts positive or negative would be appreciated.

Jim

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

Well, I can say this, ... My brother was shooting scores of between 67 and 75 in singles 100's with his RX glasses. After he had his done he started shooting 95 +. His current avg is about 96 or so. So yes, It made a HUGE difference for him.

3. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I can't speak to the improvement in shooting scores. I wasn't shooting when I had mine done 10 years ago... but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was eight years without corrective lenses of any kind, and have just recently needed glasses for some reading and close needle & wood work. Just make sure you do your research on your doctor and get a good one.

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I had RK which is close, make sure you let the doctor know that you are a shooter, there is the possibility that you could have a cross eye dominance problem, my doctor did my right eye a little better to correct this.

but by all means go for it....you won't regret it.

tony

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My wife had it done and she loves it, I love her and thats as close as anyone is getting to my eyes with a laser or anything else if I can help it ... The majority of people that I know that had it done are thrilled, but I know a few that are not so elated with the results ... My Cardiologist is one of them that had major problems and was to the point where he might of never been able to correct his vision again ... Money was not a concern but the outcome was and he was just glad to be able to see with corrective lenses after it was all over ... The percentages go with the good results but just my luck being a good candidate wouldn't be good enough ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I have worn glasses since 7th grade, and have consider having it done. Are there any side effects and is there much pain? John E.

7. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I had the surgery about 4 years ago. It was a little un-nerving for a few minutes while on the table. Had some discomfort that day, but drove myself to the doctors the next day for a check-up....without glasses. Experienced dry eyes for a couple of months and it took that long for the eyes to reach the final state - 20/15.

My scores improved a lot that year and have stayed improved.

I would do it again for sure. The only thing that is a pain are the reading glasses that I have to carry and slip on and off.

Chris

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Lets see... and see is the operative word. This is an elective surgery and is not without risk. Some folks lose image sharpness, some get painful dry eye, some lose the ability to drive at night cause of glare. I suspect that trapshooters might really hate the glare / halo problems experienced by some Lasik victims. Percentages of success are supposedly in the 90s but the numbers are in dispute - mostly by those who did not get cured. What is to be gained from this operation? Who will gain from this operation? If the operation is a failure, is there a refund? But those are just my thoughts - whatever you do, I sincerely wish you well.

9. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

I was told the same thing --- "perfect" for Lasik but I asked around and was advised not to take the risk. You can't get it back if you lose it. Also, why would it matter if you get your vision corrected with contacts or with Lasik? Corrected vision should be just that .. corrected vision and I don't see how Lasik would get you better scores compared to Contacts. My opinion, YMMV.

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

I had chronic problems with a contact in my non-domnant eye and had Lasik to get away from the contact. That was ten years ago. I am still glad I did it, but I would not risk my dominant eye to the process.

The amount of correction that the eye required was pretty severe, about 7 diopters. As is the case with all things, there are trade-offs. The more correction that the eye requires, which is to say the harder you push the process, the closer you are to unsatisfactory results. For most people, glare and marginal night vision are chief among them.

Interestingly, when I first inquired about the procedure the doctor asked what I did for a living (geology) and he said, "Oh," in a despondent tone. I asked what was wrong and he said that for the most part the procedure is what it is, and its success is predicated more on the person's perception. Technical/scientific types tend to be detail oriented and critical, and make bad patients. Further, I had studied optics for a year in school and routinely use a microscope in my work, all of which, in the doctor's opinion, made me an even worse candidate. At the time I was pretty hard into competitive smallbore, an extremely eye intensive sport, and the doctor recognized this as another critical point of reference that would work against me. The bottom line was that his preferred patients were ones that required minimal correction and were employed in non-technical areas like sales or some such.

11. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Jim,

Best money I ever spent. Had it 2 years ago come November, am still 20-15 in both eyes. Surgery was no big deal, essentially painless. My sons drove me home, took a sleeping pill, and woke up the next morning seeing clearly for the first time since the 6th grade.

Not sure if it was the lasik or the practice, but my singles avg is up to 96.49 and have punched four yards to the 24 during this ATA year. Definitely didn't hurt my shooting in any case.

Jim

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods did it and now he has an easier time finding his....................................................................................................................................................clubs.

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Tony, KenenT1<br>
    Can you explain what you mean by he did my dominant eye a little better? I currently wear glasses and wear ONE contact in my dominant eye since my left eye tries to take over my barrel when I put in the left contact. It is like a forced mono vision (which I tried and hated) but it only lasts for a few hours which I can tolerate. I have close vision in my non dominant eye which allows me to read the score sheets. The far vision (right eye dominant serves me well when shooting.

We have a shooting Dr. who does laser in Omaha and has testimonials from a number of trap shooters. I don't think he does much trap, but he wins a lot of trophies with .45 caliber. Can you trust those pistol shooters? PM is on if you would rather respond in private. Thanks YMMV. Omaha

14. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Jim,I asked the same question a few months ago and got some great responses,and have since had my non-dominant eye corrected,minor discomfort while they laser cut the flap,after that its o.k. I had to get mine corrected or wear something to keep a heavy vehicle drivers license,after trying contacts for shooting I opted for lasik,3 months down the track,I could not be happier.Just check the credentials of the person performing the procedure,and check that you are a suitable candidate.Regards Ross

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Question_Is this surgery for those of us needing glasses for the first time due to our age? Over 40 years old! Or is this surgery for those who have always needed glasses or needed help from early on. A Dr. once told me that I was not a good candidate because my eyes have slowly deteriorated with my age--58 now--Will this procedure help me? Also what procedure is recommended? CK,Lasik and all the other ones get confusing.Any info/recommendations are appreciated.I am in the Boston,MA. area. Thank-you.

16. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I had the procedure in Jan of this year. Best money I ever spent and would do it again in a heartbeat. I do see the target much more clearly when it leaves the house, much more so than with glasses. My scores have improved somewhat. I am usually in the A/AA 26 A area. If I could get my brain to co-operate, those scores would be better. I wore glasses for over 40 years and I still find myself reaching for them. I did not need reading glasses before and now I sometimes need a 1.0 power cheap set, but not always. I shoot left handed, left eye dominant. Left eye 20/15, right 20/20. Dryness was only in my right eye and lasted about4 months. I had no pain whatsoever either during the procedure or after. I can't advise you either way, your choice. Good luck, Nubs Wagner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lasik trap shooting

shooting after lassie