1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooters vs. Skeet Shooters (History Chan)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ronbo142, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

<Center><h1>Press Release!</h1></center>

***** New TV Show Idea *****

New reality based TV show from the History Channel!

This new show will be a head to head competition between Ron “Marine” Ausman and any Trap Shooter that wants to take me on. I will of course wear a “Pink Shirt” just to make things even. Here are the rules:

1. 400 Trap Targets<br>
    a. 200 Singles<br>
    b. 100 Doubles<br>
    c. 100 Handicap Targets (Current yardage applies)<br>
    2. 400 Skeet Targets<br>
    a. 12 GA – 20 GA – 28 GA & .410 Bore<br>
    3. Location<br>
    a. Trap Shot during the Grand American Sparta IL Aug 2010<br>
    b. Skeet Shot during the Mini-World San Antonio TX Oct 2010<br>
    4. Prize<br>
    a. Braggin rights! Winner gets to talk about how he whooped the other

So if you want to take me on I have to make arrangements to shoot the events and keep track of the scores. I will be shooting the Mini and the Main during the World Skeet Championships.
    This is a head to head score mind you and you obviously need to pay our own way.

Just need to get the History Channel on-board that might take a little doing!

2. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

u better be pretty damn good with those skeet guns, no doubt trap is a harder game, especially hdcp, at 27 yds., if some of the top ata shooters,did take your challenge, crow good go very well with your pink skeet shooting shirt...

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Birdie boy, I would be careful how you bark here.

The top shooters in both disciplines can easily handle the other venues. Wayne Maes for example. I heard a Junior Skeet shooter won a handicap event at the Wisconsin State shoot some years ago, and It doesn't surprise me.

Check out the Ohio Iron Man event. I don't know if it's still on. They had all the above events plus a pile of Sporting clay targets.

This whole pissing contest will go down to the individual ability of the winner, and I wouldn't care to bet on the outcome.

Try 410 skeet and compare to your handicap scores.

HM

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Trap lover here but I put my money on the skeet guy.

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...my money's on Ron - we shot together on the the Navy Skeet Team a few years back;^)

Go get'em Ron - !!!

Ron - BTW - Barb is jumping her quarter horse now on a hybrid Aussie saddle - look us up when you get into town.

MK Tribbie

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Quote birddogs46:
    "u better be pretty damn good with those skeet guns, no doubt trap is a harder game, especially hdcp, at 27 yds"

Oh good grief, I shoot all the games and ata trap is by FAR the easiest game of them all. It's still my favorite though.

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I am just tired of all of these so called clay target shooters who talk the talk and talk down about skeet shooters. I am not talking about taking on Wayne'O oh yeah by the way he is a friend of mine. I am talking about those trap shooters out there who consider skeet shooters a little girly sport. Well let me tell you I think I can hang with most trap shooters. I might be the only guy on this site who goes to both the Grand American and the World Skeet Championships and shoots both.

MK Thanks for the hello.

I am really busy with my MBA that I have not had enough time to ride my horse. The wife and I switched horses she is riding the Draft Cross and I ride the TB/Quarter Horse. I have a really nice TB in the yard that would make a excellent ladys jumper if I only had time to work him.

See you and SA this year? I am shooting Col Clyde Simmons as always. You can find me with him or in the White Flyer office with Phil.

Semper Fi

Ronbo

8. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

ronbo it is just friendly ribbing, nothing personal at all, i respect all shooting games, and yes i have shot skeet with a 410, if my hdcap scores were as bad as my 410 skeet scores i would quit and take up golf so maybe i could shoot a high score

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

As long as it doesn't involve a pie eating contest, the Skeeter will likely win.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Shawn Dulohery was at KCTA shooting an ATA trap event with his dad a few weeks ago. Shawn said he doesn't shoot trap much any more. He only shot a 99 in the singles.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

So you're saying it would be easier to run 100 at the 27, than a 100 at .410 skeet? I don't think so.

Does anyone have the numbers? How many shooters have run 100 in trap from the 27, vs Skeet .410?

12. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

i don't think to many shooters have ran a 100 straight from the 16 yd line with a 410, if at the grand this year in the 28ga. 16 yard event if they go ahead and have it, will be interesting to see the scores

13. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

the problem with the 410 in trap would be setting it up. I am pretty confident that singles with a 410 in a gun that is weighted properly and and is fitted would be more difficult but not hard. However handicap from the 27 even with the same gun would be impossibly hard.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What's so hard about .410 skeet? I tried it a few times and once ran 74/75. My 27yd. line handicap shooting never came close. Don't the skeet "big dogs" nearly always run close to a 100. Nothing to it!!

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

He didn't say "27yd" ... what Ronbo set up was a sucker bet.

A skeet shooter of abt any class above pure potlicker is not going to drop 4-5 birds in 400, even in the wind.

A HAA of 395 in Trap is eye-catching, even in perfect weather.

Both 'benchrest' Trap and 'benchrest' Skeet are games of perfection, but Skeet is FAR moreso.' In Trap, a 98 or 99 will win some big handicaps. In Skeet, a 99 in your 12ga means you're shooting squadded practice the rest of the day and the rest of the gauges.

Bob

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Mark 425,if trap is easier,why do skeet averages run higher by the top shooters? Setterman, this would not be a fair comparison. There are many more shooters shooting trap than skeet,at least 10 to 1 or more. Skeet is easier because you know where your target is going to be everytime. Top skeet shooter's averages have always been higher than top trap shooters due to this fact. I personally know a good skeeter who breaks 100 in all guages but can't break 100 in 16 yd. trap. I have never seen any trapshooters shooting 410 or 28 guage. I have never heard of Ausman. He must be great to challenge the World's top shooters! To make it really tough, throw in Olympic trap,5 stand, sporting clays,now you really got a Shooting Champion! 1oldtimer

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I was going to post my accomplishments but what is the point?

All I am trying to do is make an example that we all need to support each game and be a combined voice. Because if we do not show that we are serious about our shooting sports then someone is going to take them away.

Trust me freedom is not free.

Shoot early and shoot often (Sort of like Chicago politics)

Ronbo

18. fly

fly Active Member

what about skeet doubles, that is part of the game.

19. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Ronbo,

I have been shooting registered skeet for over 40 years, and have also seen and shot with Little Leo @ West Quincy Gun Club,you know Leo Harrison. Little Leo would my choise for your challenge.

David McMillen

20. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Took a lesson from Leo 2 years ago at Downers Grove.

He is one of the best shotgun pointers ever!

Heck a f gentleman and a true student of the clay target sports.

Was the best day of instruction I ever had.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.