1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooters, Numbers increasing or decreasing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murphy, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I was wondering if trap shooting was on the increase or decrease, I think I had read that trap shooting was increasing and skeet and sporting clays were both decreasing. I know this site "might" not be the place to ask the question but wonder if it is true and what is the reason, I enjoy all 3.

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Decreasing....and has been for many years. Shoot while you can.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have not seen any official numbers for last year. A trend over the past 10 years is more total trap targets shot but by fewer shooters. There is another trend that could forecast a decrease in active trap shooters. The number of hunters, based on hunting licenses sold, has been declining for several years. I contend that hunting is the first introduction to shooting sports for most people.

Pat Ireland

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Just looking around at the local clubs it is declining, rapidly!!

To add to Pat Ireland’s theory - look at the number of hunting license sold and it will continue to decline. I say look at how many kids you see walking around with BB guns. None now, as to opposed to when I was a kid, back then everybody had one.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

As some have posted that Sporting Clays have declined. Not too sure of that. The economy is knocking the $h!t out of everything. This type of shooting is what has taken the numbers away from general trap numbers. Shooter in general have more choices. And don't forget that numbers at some clubs could be that guys are going to a different club. If a club has issues the guys will pack up and support another club. Or split their time among others. I'm not a census taker but have seen shear numbers drop off at one and pick up at others. Some clubs have to fix their internal affairs if they want to stay alive.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

There may be a decline in registered trap shooting but there seems to me to be plenty of turkey (games) shoots around Kentucky. You have a much better chance of making a few bucks at a turkey shoot than at a registered shoot.

That said, my personal level of registered shooting is up over the past few years to about 3500 - 4000 registered targets per year. Also, I shoot more practice than registered.

I like the simple joy of shooting targets.

I think that sporting clays is growing and, from the looks of their vehicles, guns and ATV's that they ride around a course, they have fairly deep pockets.

Ed Ward

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The hey-day of trap shooting has long since passed. Sporting clays is peaking, and skeet is almost in the grave. Why, mostly cost, and as someone said "no boys with BB gun's." Single Soccer Mom's don't like BB gun's.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is the time factor. Trap and skeet you have to kill the whole day for a registered shoot. Sporting clays is usually only 100 targets, much more user friendly for people who have limited time. HMB

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The only real way to determine this would be to crunch the numbers on registered shoots, based on that the numbers are way down and dropping ... The amount of recreational shooters (hunters) at the clubs are not consistant for the most part and they are very hit and miss (no pun intended) at best ... The economy dictates many factors in shooting but the time factors also become detrimental to the sport when you have to sit there all day to get in 100 targets, combine that and cost for that 100 targets and you got a loser ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I don`t know how the whole country is doing but in the last 20 years that I have followed our income and targets thrown per year , the last 3-4 years have had double the number of shooters and that means income to our 2 trap club . WE seem to be doing 20-30% more every year. Most aren`t ATA shooters , just people who want to spend an afternoon out shooting 2-4 boxes of shells for their enjoyment and come back again another week to do the same . WE cater to new shooters , exposing them to the sport where other clubs want veteran trap shooters .

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pat and shot410 have it about right, I think.

My sister in-law had an acute moral crisis when her 13 year-old son wanted an AirSoft gun. She came to me for advice. "I have a problem with this, because, you know, I'm normally, you know, not so crazy about guns." (She would have been less uncomfortable, I think, if she found out he was gay).

I told her, he's a young boy in America, of COURSE he wants something that shoots projectiles. She's like, "I know, but I mean...how old were YOU when you started shooting? Is this normal?" (She's afraid he's "not okay" or something).

And the statistics about hunting licenses sold? That's the death-spiral, right there.

We're raising a generation of kids who have never killed anything bigger than a spider...and that's gonna lead to a nation of wimps, trapshooting or no trapshooting.

12. maka

maka Member

I agree trap shooting is down. Shot a 4 different clubs this year. Only 1 of 4 shoots registered targets. All 4 clubs numbers were down. On average clubs with 15 to 18 teams down to 10 or less. Some say its the economy. Others say they have lost interest because clubs partonize reg. shooters over non reg. shooters. Non reg. shooters sit and wait because reg. shooters need to get number of targets in. Non reg. shooters tired of waiting. So they no longer patronize the club or loose interest. Clubs need all the shooters they can. In addition not enough emphisis on training young shooters. Just my observations, might be totally different elsewhere.

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

For a new guy to go out and shoot 100 rds. (4) boxes once or twice a week is a pretty good cost. $20.00 targets + $20.00 for shells, $40.00-$80.00 a week or weekend. Not a cheap activity to get into. I'm trying to figure on average but I bet my numbers are not off by much. I've been shooting a long while now and I can't say that I've ever seen pre-teen and teenagers shooting in any big numbers or many regulars. Yes there are a few. Hunter practice or youth field days are where I can say I've seen them in numbers outside of a state shoot competition.

When I grew up as a young kid we had BB and Pellet guns. Shot .22 pretty regularly. Had a blast. Different time in a rural place. The idea of not seeing kids with them as often or almot never is not to hard for me to comprehend. Seeing kids in a housing development walking around with bb guns would seem a bit out of place today. I don't live in a housing development but in the burbs, my grandkids won't have a problem with that in my backyard. Looking forward to that day.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

....and today's kids can sit in the comfort of home and play video games shooting dragons, ducks, enemy troops, and so forth and never have to experience rain, heat, cold, or early mornings. Cost of ammo is not an issue...why go out to some gun club with a bunch of grey beards and struggle with the expense and hassle to shoot at clay targets? Regards, Ed

15. sdhunter

sdhunter TS Member

OK my turn to ramble, We have become a society were we no longer know no how to parent, we turn the tv on or the games. We no longer take our kids fishing or hunting or shooting. We have let the electrical devices become the baby sitters. Such a joy to see my 12 year old get his first deer this year. Time to get rid of the extras and teach kids to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors, and evrything it entails. If we dont then we have generations of children that think the world revolves around electronics. JNHO

Steve

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

We need to get some solid numbers showing if trap shooting is declining or increasing. If it is declining, I will personally take on the job of seeking a stimulus for our sport from President Obama.

Pat Ireland

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Depends where you are. I am about to leave to have a day of fun at a small club in NW Ohio. They will have a crowd probably 80+ shooters, shoot all 3 100 bird events and be home by 4:00. There will be all ages from the 8 yr olds to the 80 yr olds. A couple of All Americans and new shooters side by side.

So sit on your butts and analyze and whine about the time it takes. You may be part of the reason for any decline along with all the economic factors.

The bottom line is nobody knows the answer to the question.

Don

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Getting more youngsters involved in the shooting sports has always been a problem because of finances and who foots the bill. It was the same way when I began shooting ATA trap in 1970 and it was a problem even prior to that date. Attracting the 30 to 50 year old group with discretionary income is where we've failed in my opinion. We attract less of that group today than yesteryear for the reasons outlined above. Some of todays 30 year olds have never hunted a day in their life knowing nothing about any shooting sports! Don't get me wrong, kids are great to have involved but we also need to find ways of attracting older shooters also with the necessary income to participate in the shooting sports! We don't have the hunters to attract we once did so our leadership needs some longer range plans in play to attract and keep them hooked! At least long enough they hook themselves. Our change to one of perceived perfection certainly didn't help grow our sport either! More targets shot by less shooters isn't the answer we needed then or now! Do any of you guys ask the people you've introduced to our sport why they no longer participate? I certainly have and the answers I got didn't jive with all of ATA's survey on that question!

Gene Hapney

19. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

SDhunter,

The problem is not always that parents don't take their kids outside. I have a case where the kids 15 & 17 don't want ot go outside.

I took (dragged) the 17 year old to shoot trap for his first time. He shot a 18 & a 15. wanted to be done, went home and played video games.

At 12 he had a giant fish on the line, but lost interest after fighting it for 10 minutes and pulled out a pocket video game. Camping has too many bugs and poor cell service for non stop texting.

Hunting, camping, fishing, you name it, kids don't want to do anymore since they have all gotten too lazy to "actually" do anything. Forcing them to do it does not make matters better. Kids want to do what their frinds do, sitting on their butt and twiddling their thumbs watching a screen seems to be the cool thing to do much to Best Buy's glee.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Sporting Clays shooters have been increasing in Southern Ohio

Buddy Shoots are increasing in number of shooters in southern Ohio.

We shoot a lot of 3 man protectors because of the large number of shooters showing up.

Also an increase of Lady Buddy shooters in southern Ohio

More shooters coming across the Ohio River from West Virginia and Kentucky to shoot.

Registered shooting is very much down everywhere.

I was told Black Wing in Delaware Ohio quit shooting Registered Shoots and the owner does not want registered shoots. He charges high bucks and rents shotguns and pistols for shooters. I forsee this Million Dollar Facility to close up soon.. my personal projection.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.