Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Shooters & Archery Shooters

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  recurvyarcher 
#1 ·
I started bow hunting 4-5 years ago and have noticed many similarities btwn trap shooters and archers. Many archers feel the need to upgrade every year or change bows several times a year akin to many of my trapshoooting brotherhood. Has anyone else noticed this? We all (I'm equally gulity) keep thinking that we will improve our scores with the next bow/shotgun.

#3 ·
I think a lot may result from newer entries into each sport ( although not exclusively ) I use to shoot for an archery shop ( mostly 3-D ) and could/did obtain a new bow every year at dealer cost less 40%.( Mathews or Hoyt ) The bows didn't change all that much and I eventually settled on one bow that I have kept for the last 4 years. Prevented having to learn to adjust to a new bow each year and I think my scores went up as a result. Same, I think, could be said for shotguns !

#8 ·
It's true about bow guys upgrading but there have been many upgrades over the last 20 years.

Just about anybody can shoot these newer bows to a decent range in very little time. That has not always been the case. People who are picking up a modern compound bow for the first timer have no idea how far they have come in 25 years. I shoot an 06 Alligience and I will not upgrade unless I can get more speed, smoother, while being just as forgiving, and quiet . Not likely to happen. Jeff

#9 ·
Bow hunting is a passion of mine among others. I do like the Mathews line of bows. I`ve haven`t shot the Hoyt, but I`m sure they are great also. My kill ratio went way up after going from PSE to Mathews. I don`t think the PSE was set up corectly for me. As with anything, proper fit is critical. I will not shoot any new bows because I know I`ll have to have one. But remember, it`s the Indian, not the arrow that counts the most. This applies to shotguns too. Larry

#10 ·
When I read all the dumb threads about POI, 60% vs. 80%, do you change between 16s and hcp, which way should I move my comb, etc...otherwise intelligent people able to hold down a job, but seemingly so unable to just go out and shoot into a board and LOOK at the result...I wonder if these people were archers and started with a dozen arrows, could they get on paper at 40 yards without losing all their sticks?

#12 ·
I shoot competitive archery on a weekly basis, and travel from PA to CA shooting in competitions. The bows today are truely a pleasure to shoot from years ago. Yes, we upgrade almost every year, and are very picky about our equipment. At one time I've had 5 different Hoyt elite series bows laying around. We mess around with them as much as messing around with different loads for trap, but in the end, it's what you shot best, and what works best for you. The really nice thing about archery are the arrows. My indoor arrows cost $160/dz, and my outdoor shafts run $400/dz, but I can shoot them for 2 years or more. Once you pull the trigger on that shotgun, it's gonna cost ya to relaod or buy new ones. Outdoor shoots are at a minimum 112 shots. I do that every weekend from April-September...add that up for shells!!!! In the long run, we all have fun what we are doing. I love shooting trap as much as archery. I've been shooting trap for about 5 years now, but shooting bow since I was 7(42 now).

#13 ·
I always felt that it was to bad someone didn't start a 3-D orginization set up the same as ATA.Classes based on averages,with money options available.I dont think the IBO does the sport justice.With as many guys that shoot bows these days seems it could be as big or bigger then the ATA.I really enjoyed the sport,but became bored with it as there was no money to be won unless you traveled to the few really big shoots that were around.At least thats the way it was ten years ago or so.

#15 ·
Bazooka,

Did you shoot on any of the PSE leagues and in wich buildings if you did?

I remember one of their women pro's coming back from a very successful circuit, national champion even, hanging an arrow in a rafter when her release failed.

a night a few years later, when my release failed and my best score ever going down in flames, me with a fat lip and that arrow barely in the but, mostly on the steel that held the but together.

Mike, saying Frank stop that frank stop that Frank clank stop that as Frank took Mikes arrow out of the air with his.

many memories of those shooting ranges.

Al

#16 ·
I will add that when I walked away from Archery, it was because, I had reached the point where either I had go anal or get out!

At the time I thought it was just go in over my head to buy the newest and best of everything, and just decided WHY? but I would have gone anal at the point if I had stayed in!
Al

#18 ·
Started with a recurve, went to a bunch of compounds, back to a recurve. Decided I didn't need to spend $100.00 for a release, $150.00 for an arrow rest to shoot a 120 lb deer. And that was on top of a $1100.00 bow. I like to tell guys who buy a new compound bow every year "you just get to miss faster."

#19 ·
Having had my archery release brake a time or two, and being there when a release trigger is acting up,

personal experreince say you might be right

But pattrns on the trap and the devots I have seen made the shotgun release trigger for out runs the archery failure, if only because there are bigger trap shoots the the archery shoots I have been to.

Al

#20 ·
I have an old '60s era recurve, handmade, that shoots consistantly straight every single time. It doesn't have a sight, and I don't use a release. It's the indian, not the bow. I am, however, particular about the arrow. Real feather fletchings and the better composite arrows will get me more consistent results.

Trust me, you don't need all the fancy bows and technical add-ons. Ask Martin, he's seen me with my recurve. I taught him to shoot his bow. He's got an older recurve which he is shooting really well for as little as he has shot to date. No sight, no release, no compound, no clicker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.