1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Scoring opinion - Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Ok, I thought I would run this by the board members here for their thoughs. This past week in our winter league shoot. ( 4 clubs about 150 shooters)my club tied for first with another club ( 7 birds down). Weekly we count the 5 best shooters for each club. During the shooting, one of our shooters broke a bird and the scorer called it lost. the shooter told the scorer that he broke it but the scorer said he didn't. Then one guy standing next the the scorer said it was a broken bird. The scorer said I don't care I didn't see it break. He ended marking it lost and gave my buddy a 47. Well my buddy was pissed but what could he do. Our club ended up in a tie because of that one bird. I understand if no one said it was broken, but if the shooter said it was broken and a whitness isn't that enough to overide the scorer? Even if it wasn't another member on the line? the whitness interjected as soon as the scorer called lost. I realize we are not shooting for millions of dollars but what is the right thing here. Myself as a scorer if I called lost and two people said it was broken I would simply change the score.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The scorer has the final say. Most use common sense, this one did not. HMB

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Most use common sense

Whatever! Have seen shooters try to get targets they don't deserve. Was at a trap shoot last year and the squad leader called dead targets twice for one shooter on the squad. Trust me, not even being close to being dead. I was standing to the right of him, the next shooter.

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I understand both points and I didn't whitness this event. I have seen some people argue over dusting birds before which IMHO is ridiculous. And I have seen scorers call birds dead that were obviously lost too. So it does go both ways.

5. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yeah in this case the whitness was even from a different club and didn't know the shooter..

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The key thing in this case is the other guy that also called the bird "dead" was not even on the squad shooting. As a long time squad leader, I have had numerous calls reversed because TWO members of the shooting squad, other than the shooter in question, called a bird dead that the scorer thought was lost. I would never listen to anyone that was standing behind the line calling targets unless he is the scorer or referee. One of the worst things a shooter can do, in my opinion, is to try to call his own target dead. Shows absolutely no class at all, in my opinion. If the shooter, however, calls his own target "lost" and stands by it, that, in itself, is a very honorable thing to do. There are rules to cover this very thing, and they shoud be adhered to all the time. In this instance, the target was correctly called "lost".... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Really,
    I have called my own target when it was a obvious break and it was called lost. Obvious to me is a large piece easily visible. That doesn't mean i don't have class. Howver the few times it has happened to me others on the line backed me up. I have also called my own lost when it was called broken. Not sure how it is honorable to tell them they made a mistake one way and not the other. I have also called a bird dead once for a scorer who admitted he wasn't looking when it was shot, basically not paying attention. The bottom line is scorers and shooters can both make mistakes IMHO. As for someone without class how about a guy who answers a cell phone on the line while others are shooting.

8. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

I am a scorer for my local club. If I call a "loss" and the shooter says he/she hit it, I ask if anyone on the squad saw at "hit. If someone on the squad other than the shooter saw a hit, then I change the score to a a "dead" bird.

If no one the squad other than the shooter saw a hit, I trust my own judgement and it stays a loss.

I'm not perfect, but I am damn good and fair.

9. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

This was a league shoot??

Was it registered?

Does the league have it's own rules if not registered?

10. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

11. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

This sounds like a club shoot and not ATA..so any rule that those clubs establish would be ok..At our Inter-club shoots..we don't pay any attention to people's comments behind the shooters...

12. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Non ATA, just a local league between 4 clubs.

13. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

When Guys Ink spot Targets over and over again..And Then Beg and or Argue over specks off a Lost target from scorers....Should come to Grips with the Fact They Missed the Target by 3 feet. And Why would any scorer listen to someone Not in the Squad.. Granted..I know we are not Grading them..but Counting them...Whats next...Instant Replay for Trap Targets

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

At my home club, I constantly have a fellow squad mate help me slide the scoring stand up closer to the line. Too many times the scorer is at the 27 when we were at the 16.

Like Dan, I was usually the squad leader. If a lost target was called, and I though I saw a chip or piece, I'd stop the squad (and because we usually had a traveling squad), or another would stop the squad and ask if anyone else saw a chip. We usually wanted more than two to verify it. Normally, a scorer woulacquiescese, but we never, ever attempted tforciblyly over-ride their decision. And, we always required the scorer to shot the sheet before we left our post.

Our squad was tough on each other too. NO ONE would ever attempted to "steal" a target as at least one of the shooters wad a zone director, club office, or state official.

WW

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

It is a fun league .... the weather was overcast with off/on rain - drizzle. Conditions to see "chips" were not the best. I had the opposite .... thinking I missed and the scorer saw a chip. I NEVER argue with the scorer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.