1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap scores and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Push, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Push

Push TS Member

How do you feel your scores are affected by high or low Glucose readings?

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

My vision is not as sharp when my blood sugar is off.
    The result is more lost targets as I can't see them clearly.

ed.

3. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Negatively ....

4. Push

Push TS Member

Yoda, are you saying it does not affect your scores or it affects them negatively?

Push

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had diabetes for approx. 20 years and when it is high, between 160 and 275, i do not notice any problems. However, when it goes low, for me, under 100, my knees get weak. I get shaky, I get a head ache and my heart starts to skip beats. I can't do much of anything when it goes low and it usually takes about 4 to 6 hours to get back to normal. Going low on sugar is defineately a worse feeling than having a high sugar level. Bulge.

6. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

They are affected negatively ...

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I can't say as I notice much difference. But I do make sure they are not to low by eating something before I shoot.

Hauxfan!

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Before diabetes in 1990 AA/27/AA. Now, with diabetes...just another "bottom feeder". :(

9. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

What Bulge said is exactly what i try to do, The Key is eating before you shoot, I try to get my sugar to around 180 before the shoot starts. I feel no effects of the sugar around that range, but boy let it get low and i'm a mess. One other thing I do is keep some loose skiddles or jelly beans (pour sugar) in my pocket. If I feel my sugar dropping to low during the shoot, i'll pop a few in my mouth, they will get it back up in a very short time for me. Rick

10. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Anything much below 100, and I feel off. When I am less than 160 I do fine....for a B shooter at the 20 yard line. We all need to monitor our blood sugar levels, and keep a very balanced diet for a healthy LONGER life!!

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

High or low my vision blurs. It is best between 100-160 but it will often vary by more than that diffeential in a 100 target event. I have started events at 120 and finished at 180+ and I have started at 160 and finished below 100. I have not found the secret to maintaining a steady number but it does happen sometimes. Lower than 80 I get the shakes and pins and needles in my calves and feet. I take Glyburide/Metphorman and Januvia. The Januvia has helped level it out some.JRM

12. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If I'm under 180 when I go to the line I'm good but I must be over 70. I don't get shaky till I'm under 40.

Ed Yanchok

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

It doesn't affect me as long as I keep hydrated and proper sugar levels. I take Lipzoid and it drops the sugar very low so you need to monitor it. Thank you Agent Orange!

blade819

14. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

As long as I keep my sugar between 110 and 160 I'm ok. Any higher or lower and my vision blurs or I get weak and get the shakes.

Thad

15. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Undiagnosed for year.scores a mess.460 blood sugar when they took me to hospital getting a handle on it now I hope

16. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

Holy smokes 682LINY I dropped over on the bathroom floor at 3am. Lucky our dog woke my wife up. Over to the eroom I was about 350. That was 9 yrs ago.If I drop down to 80 or lower it really affects my vision and that old computer between my ears. Just cant react as fast or think as clearly. I carry some glucose tablets with me. About 4 of them boosts my blood 15 min. Also I try to eat about 60 grams of carbs 1hr before shooting.

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

My eyes get blurry when my sugar is too high when it gets below 120 I feel weak. I always seem too shoot better when I'm a little bit hungry but with D that's hard to do without being too low. Best thing about D is I can eat a candy bar or piece of cake and get a buzz about like a six pack used to do.

18. Push

Push TS Member

If mine gets bellow 70 I'm in trouble. Seems above 180 I'm just off. Can't concentrate - jump at targets, shoot early, don't see as well things like that.
    I'm sure not the shooter I was since Diabetes. I can say I average 93/94 when feeling good - the average 80 when feeling off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.