1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Rules

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ctully, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctully

ctully TS Member

Hi Trapshooters
    I have a question about a competition.
    If there is a match with two rounds of 25, and one of the competitors shoots the first 25, and in the second round, he shoots 2 stations and then decides to quit for personal reasons, what do we do with that score?

I mean he is in the A class so he is a good shooter. So, if he decides, for personal reasons, that in the second round of a match that he is not going to finish, what do we do, as score keepers with his numbers and averages?

Do we forfeit that match altogether? Do we use those numbers and he eats it?
    What is the protocol, can anyone tell me, so that I can put this forth to the group. I really appreciate it.
    This is a small club with a monthly club shoot, not PITA or ATA or anything like that.

Thank you for your consideration.

c

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

His second round score is added to the first round score for his total score. Same as if he shot 10x25. There are many reasons why a shooter will drop out in the middle of a round, calling him names is childish.

Eric

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

c, since this is not ATA (whose position is accurately cited by Eric and Bryan) the club can do anything it wants. As far as I'm concerned, it makes a difference why the shooter quit.

If a gun broke, I'd just use the first 25. If "personal reasons" are no more than "I quit" then I'd count the second too.

Neil

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Neil's got it and faster than me - not registered? Do whatever spins your wheels. Registered? The score counts as descirbed....Bob Dodd

5. ctully

ctully TS Member

Thank you.

We did not call this shooter any names.

Actually, the president of the club shoots was trying to be fair to the shooter as he is in the "A" class. He shot the first 25 (hit 19), then during the final 25, he finished the second post he said that was it (hit 5). No technical issues, he was just having a bad day and quit.

The concerns we have are that if we put his score in there (24 out of 50), this being the first match in the 6 month tournament, then his averages will be reflected by this score. These averages are not really the way he normally shoots. That would possibly (probably) put him into a different class, making that class competition a bit tougher for those shooters (B). (classification is done after completion of 2 matches (100 targets) the shooter stays in the class for the remainder of the 6 month tournament.

On the other hand, we could just forfeit that match for this shooter, so that his scores are not reflected in the classification at all. As if he decided not to shoot the trap part of the tournament that day.

Hope this is not too confusing. I believe the club wants to encourage shooters to compete and have fun shooting. Fair and equitable to all shooters in the tournament.

When asked why he was quitting, he said he had a bad night the night before. Then he said "well, it was bad, than again it was good". He did finish his competition of skeet this same morning and he did ok with those.

So there is the reason for the question.
    I thank you all kindly for your information as I am relatively new to this and wanted to present all the information I could to the other members. I looked through the PITA rule book and could not find anything referencing this sort of situation.

Again, I thank you all.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd give him an option to consider under those circumstances. The club knows his abilities. Record his score and maintain his class A status. He shouldn't be rewarded for being "lucky" the night before and "quits" himself to a lower class. As you said, not fair to the true class B shooters in the league for a six month period. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.