1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap - Remchoke ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 6goldeneye, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6goldeneye

6goldeneye TS Member

Anyone know offhand if any of the aftermarket choke tubes are compatable with the trap-specific (overbored) Rem choked barrels, such as in the 11-87 Premier Trap and the choke tubed late model 870 TC`s? Thanks, Jerry

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Most choke vendors can match their tubes to your barrel IF you provide the bore diameter. Those barrels varied from .730" to .745" - I have two 870TCs with that barrel; one measures .733" and the other .745". Using a tube for a .730" barrel in a .745" barrel would not be safe while using a tube for a .745" barrel in a .730" barrel would not give you the amount of constriction you were trying to obtain. Measuring the bore diameter with a bore gauge is the only way to find that number.

Ed

3. archangel

archangel Member

this may help http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=229483

4. 6goldeneye

6goldeneye TS Member

Thanks Ed, I do understand that relationship between bore and choke diameter, etc. was wondering more about the actual physical characteristics of those trap special rem-chokes (ie; major diameter, threads, OAL, etc.) as far as availability of an aftermarket CT in the same physical configuration...

archangel, thanks to you as well...BTW sent you a PM, couldn`t figure out how to work that link. Thanks again, Jerry

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The "trap" chokes for Remington's overbored "Target" barrels are the same dimensions as other 12-gauge RemChokes. Remington didn't want to have barrels out there with their name on them that could inadvertently have Remington choke tubes screwed into them that would have smaller inlet diameters than the barrel's bore diameter, so they made those barrels with some taper right before the choke tube threads. Their bore diameter from the forcing cone to that taper was between .745" (the oldest "Target" barrels) and .730" (the newest "Target" barrels) but at the threads, it was Remington's standard of .727". Accordingly, all 12-gauge RemChokes can safely be used in a "Target" barrel.

Here again, knowing your individual barrel's bore diameter is critical because some of your choke constriction is "built in." A .745" barrel has .018" of "built-in" choke, so if you want, say, .033" of choke constriction, you'll want a tube that yields .015" of constriction over the nominal .727" bore diameter. It's weird, confusing and, in my opinion, doesn't work real well. I have numerous RemChoke and aftermarket choke tubes for my 870TCs and none of those chokes print patterns I would be particularly proud of.

But I do think those barrels shoot soft. I have a couple of friends who own older 870 trap guns and they both declare that their guns kick very hard - one of them has a bloody cheek after 100 targets with his yet he broke a 200-straight with it at the Grand back when he shot it regularly, so the stock has to fit him somewhat well. I had him shoot 50 targets with his gun with my barrel on it and he couldn't believe he was shooting his gun! The other guy had the same reaction. But remember, that was with a .745" bore barrel. The newer ones are tighter and may not shoot as soft.

I spoke with Remington about purchasing a .745" barrel several years ago, as I bought an unfired 1994-vintage TC for my son that had a .733" bore. They sent me another barrel but it had a .730" bore. When I called back, the person I spoke with checked all the barrels they had and none had a larger bore, so there are no more new .745" barrels to be had.

Ed

6. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

6goldeneye,

I have a couple gold titanium finish Comp-N-Choke's for sale.

Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.