1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Ranges @ TAMPA , FL ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by undersluice, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undersluice

undersluice Member

I was wondering what public shooting trap ranges are available in the Tampa area ? I am in the area for work this week and brought my gear along !

I am particularily interested in ones that allow evening/night access since I don't get off work till 5-6 pm. I am aware about Silver Dollar, but I looked up their website, they don't seem to have evening access.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Regards,
    JB

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I think that SD is the only game in town. There are others in the area but how far do you want to drive? Try the FTA website at the link above for Florida Trap facilitys and click on the "clubs" tab which will bring up a map and relative locations.

Eric

3. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Realistically, Silver Dollar is the only game in town. They have a long trap line, but but no International. They're very expensive at $6.50 a round, but that's Florida pricing for you.

Skyway Trap is in St. Pete, and while a nice range, it only allows steel shot. While a round price is $5.50, every target is manually pulled. Presumably, Tron-style tips are expected, so there's no advantage to shooting there.

The other two closest ranges are Sarasota and Imperial Polk in Winter Haven. Both are so prohibitively expensive to a vacationer and so distant from Tampa that they're not worth much consideration. Two rounds at Imperial Polk will cost you $10, a round, and Sarasota is $8.00 a round.

Imperial Polk should really be ashamed of itself for charging a $10 access fee to use a public facility.

Shoot once in Tampa on vacation, just to say you did it, but leave the guns at home on subsequent trips.

4. culverken

culverken Member

Skyway is your best bet. Wednesday night from 5 -10 pm. There is an Annie Oakley shoot at 7 and its a lot of fun. Be sure to buy steel shot at walmart before you come or you will have to pay $10 a box at the club.

5. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Culverken, do the pullers at Skyway expect tips?

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Why all the negativity?!

JB is looking for a place to shoot while traveling and maybe price isn't all that important... so what if a few rounds might cost him an extra $10-$20 on business trip?! More importantly the guy wants to shoot and maybe find a place for his next trip if repeat business brings him down that way...

Regarding tipping, our Club used to have trap help (kids) and IF they did a good job, we'd rally a few bucks to make up for the low minimum wage - Tron said nothing wrong... if you don't feel that you got any extra service, don't tip... geez loueez...

Jay

7. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

No, the Dollar doesn't have evening shooting. They tried it last year, but, it seems, fewer and fewer shooters took advantage of it. I'm a morning person myself, so I didn't shoot in the evenings either.

And, for non-members, the price of a round is expensive, $6.50 per round. Members pay $4.50 per round and can buy a card which gets them a free round and a free drink after the card is used up.

But, if you are in Tampa for just the one week, and won't be back from time to time, purchasing a membership, which is fairly inexpensive, would not be economically feasible.

Maybe you could make it up on Saturday or Sunday. They have both practice and registered available. Three events for Sunday, National Trapshooting Day, which will have quite a few squads competing for the trophies. There will be practice, too.

As to the Skyway, it was pretty much the premier club in Florida twenty years ago, but the issues with Swiftmud's lead pollution claims, and the decision resulting from those issues to go to steel, pretty much took the Skyway off most local shooters' shooting venues.

My wife and I keep up our membership, but I almost never shoot there anymore. I don't know if we'll renew the membership next year or not. That has nothing to do with the few shooters that remain, but more to do with the club itself and it's seeming direction. YMMV, but that's how I see it.

If you can get up to the Dollar on Saturday, PM me and you can shoot some practice with us (3 or 4 other folks) or we'll shoot registered with you. We were planning to just shoot practice Saturday since Sunday we'll be shooting the events, but could pretty easily be talked into registered Singles, Caps, Doubles, or all three.

Bob

8. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Jay -- that is just the way IndyShotgun operates. JB asked for public shooting trap ranges, and Indy decided to pontificate on the fact the SD does not have international (closest bunker that I know of is in Gainesville, some 130 miles away) and then chides other clubs that are not even close (Sarasota - 60 miles, Winter Haven - 50 miles) about the prices they charge.

Not having shot Imperial Polk, nosing around their website makes the club come across as a private club that allows guest access. Hey, that's their decision. And if it works for them, then why should they be "ashamed"? BTW, Imperial Polk's price is $5 per round, not $10. Maybe they can keep the price down because of the membership fee?

JB -- if you can, make it out to the Dollar. Great place to shoot. If not, make the trip down to St. Pete -- club has a long history and probably some pretty interesting folks hanging out on a Wednesday night. It is a very interesting place to shoot and I have fond memories of shooting the winter chains down there.

9. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Oliva, as usual, you're wrong, and you're again saying silly things.

Imperial Polk is not privately owned. It sits on public land it leases from Polk County. Given that it leases this land in exchange for providing a service to the public, it should not erect a barrier so high to keep the public out.

And if you knew anything about shooting in Tampa, you would have bumped into shooters who consider all four ranges in the Tampa area.

Given that you're rarely correct about things in Indiana, you might not want to add another state to the list of things you get wrong.

10. culverken

culverken Member

Indy, it's funny you ask about the tips. Several of the pullers will tell people that they are volunteers and just work for tips, but the truth is that they don't have to pay lot rent to live on the grounds in exchange for their work as pullers. Now understand the free lot rent is not a large amount of money, but I feel they are misleading the customers in a way.

11. t-bar

t-bar Member

John, you have a pm.

B

12. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Like the boats out of Clearwater who tell you after a dolphin tour "Folks, we work for tips."

Well, yeah, but you also get a paycheck. You don't ONLY work for tips.

Thanks for the info. The tip brings a round past SD prices, and you can't shoot lead, so SD is the winner.

Under my 209 rule, SD ends up at $5.00 a round for members, while ST is $4.76. Add in $1 a line, and the ST membership rate is pushing $6.00.

13. pweld

pweld TS Member

Indy would you please advise where all the four TRAP ranges are in the Tampa area??? The question was trap ranges.

thanks
    Paul Welden

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I meet a group of shooters from Skyway while I as shooting in the state shoot @ the Silver Dollar a couple of years back. After talking with them for a short while I really wanted to go shoot there. They are some of the nicest shooters you could ever meet. (smaller clubs are like that) If I was up there I would try the Wed. nite shoot once and see what happens!!! I'll bet they would even sell you some wads so you could bring your own steel loads next time your at Tampa once or twice a year on business. I'm the kind of guy who will try every club I can once and see what happens!!! Should be perfect weather as well this time of year. Have fun and break em all. Jeff

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If you guys who complain about $6.50/25 being expensive please don't come and shoot at Markham Park where it's $8.50/25. The shock of paying that price would cause your heart to stop.;-))

Eric

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If any of you pay any attention to Indy the non-shooter and all around site trouble maker you are in deep trouble. He has never said one iota of truth and has avoided numerous questions put to him on his supposed expertise. Just look up his track record on this site.

To: Indy as I know you are lurking on this site. I will be at the Dollar the last half of January and if you are as much of a Florida bullshiter as I think you are why don't you come and talk to me in person?? You could even see the Voliva home but then someone as CS as you would never do that would you. You would just as soon call truthful, honorable people liars.

Don

17. zaob1

zaob1 Member

JB.
    Skyway is a very nice place to shoot. Wed, Thurs, Fri nights from 5 to 9pm. As some have said, they have a great fun night on Wed around 7pm. All guests are welcome and welcomed in a friendly manor. Yes steel shot is a must, but for a few rounds, not that expensive. As Ken said, get to walmart and get a couple of boxes for around $6. Have fun doing what you like to do.

Rick

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

All you yankees do is complain about cost of Targets in Florida. You have to realize that all the targets come from the same factory as they do up north but it costs $$$$ to truck them down here to the Sunshine State. Its about $1-2 a case difference. So either quit complaint and shoot or go back to Yankee land and deal with the SNOW. Remember Florida is the only state when snow does not fall and stick on a regular basis.

Tom

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Tbaber, at +$2.00/case that raises the cost of a round by $.37 per round. The difference is more than transportation. A lot of Northern clubs are member owned and much of the labor is volunteer. Here in Florida most clubs are commercial operations or run by the county and the higher labor costs and profit margin are the real cause of the vast difference in cost. JRM

20. pweld

pweld TS Member

There you go Tom making friends again. What you say is true on the cost of targets but lets remember that each day a Yankee shoots registered targets in this state he puts $2.00 into the State fund. That allows the FTA to hold Spring, Fall and Summer shoots with over $6,000 in payouts each shoot as you should know, Gator just had the Summer champs and has the Spring next May.. I say bring them on and let them shoot and complain all they want. Them that complain should start their own club and see how far they get. Yes Florida is different than up North as I had an awaking when I moved here. It took about a year just to find a trap club and it was Gator. I can remember when Tom classified me as a C shooter as I had an 89 avg. Walked out and shot 100. Man did I get some looks.

How is Col. Bob shooting on the bunker???

By the way folks Gator has the only Bunker in the state of Florida!!!!

Paul Welden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
nosing rifle for sale in tampa fl
shooting ranges in tampa

tampa trap shooting

tampa trapshooting

trap ranges in florida

trap shooting in tampa
trap shooting tampa
where can you shoot trap in tampa