1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap ranges - Lewisville TX (NW of Dallas)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by talbers, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talbers

talbers Active Member

Looks like I am going to be in Lewisville, TX over the Christmas holiday so I am looking for a good place to go shoot some clays, trap, skeet, sporting or 5 stand with the daughter.

Looking for suggestions.
    Right now I planning on going to Elm Fork as it is the closest public range but at $9/round it will be a short day.

Thanks!

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

The Dallas Gun Club is on the south side of Lewisville - it has everything. If you know anybody you could go as a guest.

I'm a member but won't be in town between Christmas and New year

Regards,

Bill Marshall

3. talbers

talbers Active Member

Well bummer. I already tried to convince my Sister-in-law that she needed to join but to no avail.

To bad they don't have a 'day' pass offering or something similar.

If you know of anyone else that wants a shooting partner on the 26th let me know. ;)

Todd Albers

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Denton and Desota have nice clubs. Maybe someone has directions. I have shot at both. Ray

5. Txnrcr

Txnrcr TS Member

For trap, Dallas Gun Club is about the only place right in town, but you would have to be a guest of a member.
    Elm Fork has a trap field, but it is not ATA type targets.

Elm Fork does have two great sporting courses plus two 5-stand courses. If you want to shoot sporting, it is a good place to visit.
    Also have a number of skeet fields.
    I shoot here a few times a month and always enjoy the visit.

Elm Fork does have a break on the fees if you buy something like 10 rounds at a time.

Some other suggestions:

Fossil Pointe Sporting Clays - Not too far north of Lewisville, approx. 1 hour drive. Good courses, nice scenery. Might check to see their holiday hours. fossilpointe.net

Buffalo Creek Trap Club - East of town near Canton. Approx 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive.
    ATA trap fields, throw good targets. No membership required and fair prices for targets. Also have 1 5-stand field. George Hanna owns this range.

I think the Denton and DeSoto gun clubs also require membership.

6. talbers

talbers Active Member

Thanks for the info.
    It looks like we will be going to Elm Fork, Fossil is closed during our time in Texas. On the sporting clays course do they require you to rent a golf cart or is it just a good idea? I could use that $20 to shoot a couple of rounds of trap/skeet.

-Todd

7. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

At Elm Fork you do not have to rent a cart, each course is about a mile long and on flat ground. They also have a 50 target course that's only about 300 yards.

Don't buy your shells there, try the Academy in Lewisville.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

you won't be disappointed with Elm Fork, Run by Scott Robertson, world class shooter.

9. smallgroups

smallgroups Member

Todd,

Drop me a personal message and I will see if I can arrange to meet you at the Dallas Gun Club. I'm not a trapshooter but would be glad to take you out on the SC range if you are interested. Might even be talked into embarrassing myself on the Trap fields.

Club is open Wednesday - Sunday, noon until dark W-F and 9a-6p on weekends. Club will be closed on both Christmas eve and Christmas day.

Price for shooting is considerably less than Elm Fork and SC is charged by the bird rather than per round of 50 or 100 so you can shoot as much or as little as you want.

Charlie D

10. talbers

talbers Active Member

Thanks for the info. I will be bringing my own shells so no worries there.

Now hopefully it will be sunny and about 60 the day after Christmas.

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

Todd - I may or may not be free but between Charlie D and myself we might be able to meet you.

PM me to exchange email/phone number.

Regards,

Bill Marshall

12. talbers

talbers Active Member

PM sent to both.

Thanks,

Todd

13. RickN

RickN Banned User Banned

Regular membership is $7000 and dues are $85 per month? Wow.

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

Shows how out of touch on Membership Fee I am. When we were allowed to sell our membership some 10 years ago it was $3000.

One reason I guess our membership has gone up is the club is in a prime location and the last evaluation for raw land - no improvements was ~ $500Million.

This is one reason I kept our membership current even while we were in OR for 10 years screwing around with a vineyard. Glad to be home.

Regards,

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.