1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap ranges in Phoenix area ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

While visiting the Ben Avery Shooting Complex yesterday...

Was told that it was the only operating trap shooting range in the six-million people greater Phoenix area.

Over time, all the other trap ranges have been closed.

Is that true ?

2. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

YES it is true, UNFORTUNATLY, with the exception of a few Private clubs it is all we have but: Its a great facility although quite a distance from the Greater metropolitan area. There is an ATA registered shoot there this weekend 16th-18th they always put on a Good shoot.

Mark

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That was one of the reasons I left phoenix. At that time Ben Avery sucked and there was nothing else, now I understand Avery is cooking but there is nowhere to shoot games in the area

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

My prior experience with government operated shooting facilities is not good.

They have been like the post office and let you know that you're interrupting their day.

Our local trap range is privately operated and one of the friendliest places anywhere.

How is Ben Avery as far as operation and trap shooter friendly ?

5. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

we shot the fiochi cup sporting clays shoot nov 18th thru 20th they also had a trap shoot at the same time they also have a bunker, 13 trap fields 13 skeet three sporting courses i will go back next year the temp was 75deg. ted

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hammer 1,

You said you were at the Ben Avery facility so you know that its very shooter friendly even though Arizona Game and Fish operate it ... They shoot games at Rio Salado, not sure what night but was told by a few of the shooters that shoot out there that they have a pretty good turn out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Buckeye has a small range setup out off the Hwy 85. I have never shot there but I been told that it is nice. West side of the 85 south of the I-10.

South of the Phoenix Area there is a range at Casa Grande, near the intersection of the I-10 and I-8.

Then Tucson farther south. Great place. Great people. 2 hours south of Phoenix.

North there is a small private club at Wickenberg and there is the Prescott Valley Trap and Skeet club just outside of PV. No ATA at either (to my knowledge).

Ben Avery is very nice. Most of the folks there are good people. It is about 1/2 hour north of downtown Phoenix. And as stated above, they are shooting there this weekend 16-18 Dec. The range is open seven days a week now and they have lots of RV sites. Plus you can shoot rifle, pistol, and bow at the same facility.

Phil

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Was at the Ben Avery range for a couple of hours.

Was wondering about the experience of folks who have more experience there.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hammer 1,

You will be pleasantly surprised, Avery is first class and treat shooters right because a lot of them are shooters also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

Is the state shoot there this year? Where can I get a Program ? Butch H

11. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I shot there unexpectedly last year while on a business trip. I ended up renting a gun and buying their ammo. The staff couldn't have been nicer and everything ran smoothly and considering my circumstances of no preparation to be shooting at all, the price was cheap. I was there on an ATA day and only had time to shoot some practice rounds so things got crazy at the coin machine thingy with everyone trying to get in some practice before their rounds, but in spite of the madness, a very nice time was had. I intend on returning.

Dan

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You can only shoot from the 16 yd. line at Rio Salado. Cool place though.

The staff at Ben Avery are very helpful and since they expanded their hours make it very convenient to shoot there. Since they're open on Mon. and Tues. I'm usually there now.

Too bad the native Americans closed Red Mountain though. It was a good place to shoot, as well and there is certainly enough shooters in the greater Phoenix area to support more than one serious clay target club.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

WPT, Where's Rio Salado?

Surfer

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Barry, You've not been to Rio Salado in a while then. Last winter they added a new PAT for handicap and doubles. The wobble is a separate house now. Rather unique operation, nice people there. The east valley could use some more shot gunning facilities. Perhaps the markets not there, who knows. Ben Avery is worth the trip. Bob (YMC) :)

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Good to know, Bob. Your right, I haven't been there for over a year. Are they planning more trap expansion in the future? Thank you. Joyeux Noel!

16. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I've shot there twice on the bunker. The Senior Open for bunker was in October at Avery and the staff were completely accommodating. Very nice people and I'd definitely go back if the chance came up. Hal Hitchcock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.