1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Range Light Recomendations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Titan Trap Team, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

We are adding 3 new fields and need some recommendations on lighting. Thanks Mark R.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

About the best there is. It's one stop shopping at it's best.

Eric

3. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello,
    I've just completed two fields at my club im Massachusetts, if you are located within driving distance you can see the results. In a nut shell, one pole set behind position three approx 10 feet behind the 27 yard line. Use (2) 2 light brackets (2 on the top bar and 2 on the bottom bar). Mounting height would be 25' to center of top bracket and 22' center of bottom bracket (3' spacing vertically). Use (4) 1500 Watt Metal halides fixtures. I used Hubbell SLS (Sports Lighting Solution) at the distance I stated 10 feet behind the 27 yd line at position 3. It's very important to order the reflector (NEMA 3) there are 7 NEMA numbers and #3 is a perfect beam spread at that distance. Each fixture will draw 7 amps at 240 volts, run (2-#8, and 1-#10 ground wire all copper) using a 2 pole 40amp circuit breaker. The fixtures have factory connections for 14/3 rubber cord, ( I think it's SJO cord, double check so it's sunlight resistant). I ran conduit up the back of the pole to a galvanized weather proof box and attached all 4 cords with weather tite oord connectors.

Hope this helps,
    Pat

4. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Ctreay,

How do you get enough light with just two lamps? We have 10 lamps on three poles in a 3-4-3 setup on each of 6 fields. We use the new Musco lighting system. Granted you spent less than we did but is 2 lamps really adequate?

Eric

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Pat, I saw you snapping pics at the club tonight, you gonna post em??

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have a question for the guru's here. We also have just two lamps per field. The poles are located between the the 1/2 post and the 4/5 post and cross the field. Now we also have one field with 1500 each and the other fields are 1000 watt each. You can definitely tell the difference in the wattage. I would rather shoot off of the 1500 and keep in mind it's only two per field.

Now for that question. You guys with more than two lights per field, are you throwing orange dome or all orange or what? We are throwing the orange dome and of course the black rim is all but gone. Makes the target quite abit smaller. Does more lamps make it show up?

thanks

Rickyd

8. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Bump to the top.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Ric3677,

At Markham Park in S. Florida that I was talking about with the 10 fixtures per field, only all orange are thrown.

Eric

10. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello Gentlemen,
    Just a little more info. NEMA 3 relectors (Hubbell product) have a 29 to 45 degree beam spread at 175 to 200 feet. So when you lay out your fixture put into concideration the overlap so in order not to have any shadows.
    Another point, 1500 watt lamps have a life of 3000 hrs and 1000 watt lamps are 15000 hrs. After these hrs the lumens start to fade. This is a large difference in life span of the lamp, but the results are also large, and the shooters like it. If relamping costs are a issue then the 1000 watt lamps go a long way but with the sacrifice of light.

Pat

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Eric,

I bet it's like shooting in daylight.

Rickyd

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

When I layed out the lighting for our trap fields I went with the recommendations of the IES (Illuminating Engineering Society). They recommended 2 poles per field set between posts 1-2 and 3-4. They had two recommendations and both were for Metal Halide lamps. The first recommendation was 3-1,000 watt fixtures per pole using a NEMA type II distribution. The second recommendation was to use 2-1,500 watt fixtures with NEMA type III. I went with the 6 1,000 watt Metal Halide fixtures for two reasons, 1.) when a lamp fails there are still 5 fixtures (5Kww)lighting the field instead of 3,(4.5Kw) 2.) lamp life. Because our club was a voluntary labor facility burned out lamps don't always get replaced in a timely fashion and 5 1,000 Watt fixtures still did a great job and require re-lamping on average, 5 times less frequently. BTW, the recommended IES mounting height is/was 20' to the lamp. JRM

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Ric3677,

Actually better than daylight as there are no changes in lighting due to clouds or other daylight problems. Our lights are set to light from about the 40 yard line to about 100 yards from the house. 5 of the 6 fields are combo trap/skeet and 1 is a 5 stand field.

The upside is that where I shoot (Markham Park)is a county run facility and the county pays for all costs. The downside is that practice rounds are $7.25/25.

Eric

14. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

either 7/8s or one ounce loads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beam spread for trap house

recommended beam spread for trap shoot lighting

trap field lighting nema beam