1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap pump value ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fathawk, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fathawk

Fathawk TS Member

Why do the Mdel 12's command such a higher asking price than the 870TB and TC?

I have shot the 870's and even from the wall they are smoke poles. So I often wonder why the 12's go for so much more. Is it collector value? Because they are pre-64 guns?

Honestly asking becasue I would like to find a TC for a good price locally, but I see way more M12's.

Thanks

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

One reason could be they don't make the model 12 anymore. I don't know but just a guess.

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Because they were made before the liberal commies took over the country.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When you close a Mod12....it feels like closing a bank vault...when you close an 870...it fells like you closed the screen door!

Both will crush birds from back in the parking lot and are very reliable!

BUT..........it is percieved value....like comparing a Ford to a Lexus!

5. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've had both for years. In my opinion the model 12 has a kind of mystic movement, seeming to always be on target. The trigger can be as crisp as breaking an icicle. The 870 will shoot forever without problems and smash birds but, to me, it's just not quite as comfortable nor is the trigger as good as the model 12. Others will disagree.

BB

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

The factory stocks are more comfortable to shoot on a M12, the top of the comb is wider. TC's, TB's..etc have a sharper comb top, you're face gets slapped.

Wayne

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Provenance and perception. I think the Remington 31TC is the most durable and best pointing of the pumps. There is little difference in the quality and durability between the M31 and the M12. One is not necessarily better than the other.

The 870 is a very good pumpgun but not in the same class as either of the others. You can't argue with the success of the 870, especially the old sixties version of the TC. Much better barrels on the old TC's than the old TB's.

In my opinion, if you want to stay with a Remington, I'd look for a 31tc or the older 870tc.

When/if you find an older 870tc pay careful attention to the barrel. If the barrel is the original TC it will have no "production stamps, outside near the breach. Sneaky people used to buy a new TB and a new TC and exchange the barrels. They kept the TB with the good barrel and sold the TC with the TB barrel for "new in the box." Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.