1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap practice with 20 ga

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was wondering what were the best scores some people had shooting trap with a 20 ga. and what choke and shot size? I'm going to play around with one and wondered what choke and shot size worked best? Thanks

2. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

20 ga shoots one oz loads usually. Shoot an overbored 20ga and I think a full choke will duplicate what a std bore 12 ga would do with one oz and a full choke, shot size matters not, any gauge. A 20ga may be a little lighter for the wee slight folk. A 20ga 1100? Sweet!

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

The other night after practice we were playing games. THere was a kid with a Beretta 20 gauge auto that was busting them from the 43 yard line with 7/8 oz of 8's, IM choke. You just gotta hit the bird and it will break with no problems.

Forrest

4. winselect

winselect TS Member

Pick a gun and load you like and shoot it. To many people have high dollar guns and special loads. I have watched my uncle with an old 20Ga. single shot, with factory #8 smoke everyone ass several times. Lead the bird Pull the trigger and break it. All loads are traveling 1100 to 1400 fps. they are going to reach out there and get them.
    Kevin

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I shoot a 20 ga 101 O/U in the fall for upcoming hunting purposes. Its all in practice rounds but I have ran 75 straight using 1oz. loads through .028 choke.

Brad Dysinger I believe has two registered 200's using a 20 ga.

If the gun is setup properly it will break many clays for you...

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My scores with my 12ga 1187 trap guun and my 20ga 1187 trap gun are the same. And I'm using 7/8 oz 2-1/2 dram loads in the 20ga (very little recoil). Both guns are set to the same POI. I installed a 12ga monte carlo stock on the 20ga by reducing the size of the tenon that fits in the back of the stock. It's a 7/8ths scale trap gun. I started shooting the 20ga almost exclusively because of pinched nerve problems that weakened my left arm. The 12ga was too heavy at the time.

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I did not read but the opening post. Pratice with the 20 is like practicing with a VW on the track and then racing with a Corvet. Two diff guns will give you two diff results.

8. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

When my partner first got her Belgian Browning 20 ga., she let me try it on the trap range. I missed the first one, ran the next 23 and then she took it back (and missed the last one). I would not feel at all disadvantaged using it for singles.

Tony

9. Loyac

Loyac Member

I recently purchased a 20ga 391 Gold Field... First time I tried it out at our trap range, I ran a 50 from the 21 yard line with 1200 fps 7/8 oz #8s. Light, no felt recoil and FUN TO SHOOT. John

10. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I had an 870 field grade 20 gage once. I took it trap shooting with me one time. After shooting th 12 gage 870 and smokin em I tried the 20 gage. Smoked em with it to. Both were 25 out of 25. The recoil from the 20 gage was no different than the 12. The 20 was on a 12 gage frame so weight didn't have an effect. After words I shot my friends 20 gage 1100. Yes, a sweet shootin gun. Only got 22 out of 25. Had not shot a semi Auto for sometime and the report kind of pulled me off until the end when I ran 17 straight. It is a sweet shootin piece. Rich.(inPeoria, Az.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.