1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap practice in Seattle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mercedesman1981, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I'm close to Kenmore and I'm new to trap shooting. I want to practice at some of the more difficult angles instead of being in a squad, since my son likes the sport too, we can practice together. Since I have trouble with straigtaways and he has trouble with the hard left or right, it would be convenient to lock the trap machine to throw nearly straight targets from station 1 while he is at station 5 and we can alternate shots. At least that is the plan...

We don't need a trapper to keep score, and when I asked about doing this last Sunday at Kenmore as there was a range not being used, I was flatly refused by the range master.

So the question is, where in Seattle can I set up a practice session like this? For that matter, where in Seattle can I set up a patterning board at 40yds to see how my chokes are performing?

Thanks,

Mike

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If you go to Renton Fish and Game, Jay (trap rangmaster) will more than likely let you do that very thing as long as they are not busy. I think there are some really slow times during the week. If you give him a call he can let you know. Their hours are Wednesday thru Sunday 10 am to 6 pm.

http://www.rfgc.org/
    425-226-1563

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

yeah...sadly, if you;re not a member at kenmore you probably wont have much luck in getting to set the trap.

Hell...even as a member we have troubles getting them to open up a trap when it gets crowded.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Its a bit of a drive from Kenmore area but if you throw in a stop at Kesselring's Gun Shop and lunch then the Plantation Range off I-5 exit 246 has a single trap that the rangemaster will set and lock for you Their phone number is 360-676-9770 or try Plantationrange@co.whatcom.wa.us. Great rifle and pistol range also. No pattern board that I am aware of though.

5. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Useful info. Does anyone know if Granite Falls does this? I too would like to practice and play with a pattern board and live North of Seattle.

6. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The people at Granite Falls are extremely helpful and the club does have a patterning board so I would give them a call. Open Friday nights and Saturday 11am til 3pm. Try www.gfsclub.com.

8. mercedesman1981

Thanks for the leads,

As far as being a member at Kenmore, I've signed up and will
    attend the next new-member meeting.

Mike

9. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

MIke...at the meeting, ask Vic Alvarez or Gary Webster about being able to lock the traps to angled targets. Gary, being the Shotgun Committee director, will be able to help you out there. CHances are it was just a lazy Rangemaster.

Welcome to the club!

10. mercedesman1981

Thanks Rev, I'll do that.

I can't complain too much about the range master, he was a substitute for a couple of other folks I have seen there most often and he gave me a discount on the last line we shot (I have to buy at 2X to cover my son), since I had already paid for the membership he gave me the member discount.

Mike

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Sounds like it mighta been Ted. Good guy...but he's more at home on the pistol range. May be why he didnt want to mess with the traps.

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I forgot about the BBQ'r. Good idea Irfner.

13. mercedesman1981

Rev,

I don't think it was Ted and don't want to speculate. I let it go, the day was busy for him and he gave me a nice deal on the second round, and my son and I had a great day together.

Irfner and Hoggy,

I like Renton Fish and Game. My son and I drove out after work but since we live in the north end (Mill Creek), the grounds were closed by the time we got there. I just love the traffic patterns around here and the social engineers trying to get us all to ride busses. Well, that is another topic.

Actually, the gates were open so we drove in and had a look around. Nice well established facility and was surprised there was a skeet range there too. I missed the bbq, but good idea. When we get the new house settled I'll try to talk the wife into going for an afternoon for practice. It would be good to be able to lock a trap to get her started. She likes to shoot pistol (I introduced her to that sport and trained her how to shoot while we were dating) and I think she will like trap too. If she does, I'll have to get a MEC 9000 to keep the family in ammunition. At 100 rounds/hour, the Sizemaster is a little slow.

Thanks for the idea,

Mike

14. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

travelling to renton should be a nightmare now with the lane closures downtown.

Heh...I work in Mill Creek...seattle traffic is bad...but traffic on 164th is a nightmare!

Mike...if ya see a guy with an SKB combo in an Americase and a Poulsbo Marathon hat...say "hey!"

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

You are right. It's not going to be very good driving to Renton from Kenmore for at least the next 19 days or so starting Friday. Of couirse over the years Seastlle has gotten so bad I hardly go any where (except shooting). Monday I have a doctors appointment at the VA hospitol. Going to leave at least a 1 1/2 hours early. Hope I make it in time.

16. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

im lucky..most of my driving is from north seattle to mill creek/kenmore.

17. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Go ahead and try it. Let us know how it works out. ;O)

18. mercedesman1981

I'm dreading Saturday afternoon traffic. I have to take my son to Camp Murray for his CAP encampment Saturday and probably won't finish until 1pm, then its the mad dash north. I thought it would be nice to take my XT and some ammo along, but don't think I'll get far on the base!

Glad they are only closing a couple of lanes on I-5, I'll try 405 on the way home.

Nice commute Rev, against the traffic... I have to go to North Seattle everyday and am fortunate enough to be able to start my workday at 6:30am. You are right about 164th, and it is only getting worse with all of the new housing going in just east of MC. They are just packing them in like sardines.
    If you see a guy with a green Remington hat("R") or a black "Sam's Gunshop" hat, just say Hi. My wife is out with the girls tonight and tomorrow and my son is getting ready for Saturday so I'll try to make Kenmore either tonight and/or Saturday afternoon.

Good luck at the VA irfner, hope you get good news.

Mike

19. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

worst thing about my commute is I work friday-sunday...530pm-630am. heading north on friday and south on monday morning is a bit heavy. but still much better then going the other way. Monday mornings i sneak up thru lake city...saves me at least 30-45 minutes from the freeway.

Might try to hit the range saturday before work...havent been there in over a week(recooperating from the Grand)...im itching to kill some clays. Hope to see ya there Mike.

Brian

20. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

How come you guys aren't shooting PITA @ Black Diamond? Doubles were today. Singles and Caps Sat. and Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.