1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Practice @ Home

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Jun 7, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Hello, to start off I'm a new shooter (2nd year in SCTP), and was wondering of some way to improve mounting @ home with no one else around. Granted, I do have people watch me from every couple hours but I'd like to do more and they can't always watch. Anyways, what I'd like to achieve in mounting at home is - Canter in the gun, height of gun relative to my shoulder, and timing. What I mean by timing is the time between when my barrel stops and the time I say 'pull'. Can ya'll think of a way that provides physical evidence that I'm doing it right? For the mounting height relative to the shoulder part, I think I can use a bore sight w/ a laser and a chart to tell if I mounted it low or high. I can't think of anything for the other two ways. Any suggestions for any of those three things are appreciated.

Ron H.

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Do your gun mounting looking into a mirror.

3. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

@687..I have tried a mirror. Don't work to tell for me.
    @mich, what exactly is a Jordan poster?

4. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Sorry to ask stupid questions, but what exactly would this help with? Because to me, the only time I miss a target is when my head is in lala land and/or my mount is wrong.

5. Avatar

If you do a search for "jordan" or "wall chart" in the past several days' postings you should find a thread discussing Jordan's wall charts. They come in several sizes--I have the 8' version, I believe. He also has pretty good instructions you should read (even if you don't buy the chart).

6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

First, another vote for Terry Jordan's wall chart AND the directions he sends with it. Without following his directions it's just a big picture on the wall; nice as it is, not very helpful.

Next, don't get too lost in those two words, "gun mount". What you're looking for is a CONSISTENT gun mount. Let CONSISTENCY be the word you think about, not the mount part. You want to see the same thing each time you call for a bird.

What has helped me to get a consistent mount is to make sure, even exaggerate getting my left elbow (I'm left handed) parallel to the ground as I'm bringing the gun up. This forms a "pocket" between my collar bone and shoulder joint. There is only one place for the pad to sit in. The only thing I have to concentrate on at that point is, is the gun vertically in the same position. This is something you can do at home, with or without a mirror.

Hope that helps,

Greg

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Cant and height are function first of gun fit - if there is a problem spend the time and $$ to have the gun fitted to you (or at least checked by a stock builder - that knows what they are doing).

Your comment that 'the mirror doesn't work' is telling. If the gun fits you correctly standing in front of the mirror - with eyes closed - mounting the gun should provide perfect alignment when the eyes are opened - if not your gun does not fit you as well as it might.

8. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

HSLDS, by alignment you mean beads are in the center of the eye, correct?
    Also, I think I'll try the poser and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation!

9. Avatar

If the gun fits properly, you should be able to get a pretty good mount with your eyes closed. However, at the range, when mounting the gun before calling "pull," you can use the beads to check alighnment. It's the side to side alignment that is the most important. Usually proper alignment also has the beads in a "figure 8" with the front bead on top, but all that really matters is that the up-down alignment is consistent and that when the front bead is on the target the gun shoots somewhat high--i.e., 70/30 or so. That gives you a built-in lead when shooting at the usually rising target. Continuing to swing the gun while you pull the trigger also gives you a bit of lead in the proper direction. In using a wall chart, the rising lead is generally assumed to be the built in lead, while you add any needed side to side lead. It's important to pattern test any new gun/barrel/stock/sight arrangement so that you know the gun really is shooting where it's supposed to when that front bead is on the target.

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Please do yourself a favor and call and talk to Terry Jordan !!!

The very best thing you can do is start out talking to someone like Terry for good advice.

He is great talking to, so don't be bashfull !!!

Dave

11. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Thanks for all the info! I do plan on getting Terry's chart, but I don't know when I'll get aroudn to buying it. Hopefully it'll be sometime this week, but ya nver know.

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I will be at the Ohio State shoot.

Thanks for the comments.

Terry.

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Look at the Dry Fire System. A very accurate simulator. It can be used in different configurations. Jake

14. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

IDK about the Dry Fire System. And to Terry, I won't be at the Ohio State Shoot. I'm not anywhere near that good to be traveling to other state shoots!

15. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

When I am out of practice I will place a homemade weight in my barrel and do gun mounts alternating right and left, and aiming at a door hinges across the room or other high objects. I will work this up to reps of 25 mounts per shoulder and a set total of 300. I'll try to do this every day. I do this mainly for endurance, but I try to mount consistantly. I also curl shot bags and use a squeeze ball at a shoot.

16. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Another question for ya'll... If I'm using a Perazzi mx14 un-single and I have canter in the gun that has a length of .001500 or less. Think it'll cause a missed target?

Search tags for this page
at home trap practice
home practice trap shooting

how to practice trap at home

practice trap shooting indoors
trap practice
trap shooting poster practice

trap shooting practice at home

trap shooting practice games