1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Patterning - what distance???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Sep 15, 2013.

1. samthompson

samthompson Member

What distance should be used to pattern a trap gun for 16 yard shooting?... and, I assume yardarge (upto 11 is added) for handicap patterning.

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

35 yards

3. tgs1420@gmail.com

tgs1420@gmail.com Member

the best pattern at 35 will still be the best at 46

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I pattern at 30 yards for singles, because all of my targets are taken within that range.

5. samthompson

samthompson Member

tgs1420 -

35 yards for 16 yards, 46 yards for 27 yards, and adjust accordingly in-between... is that what you are suggesting?

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you are just going to take a couple of shots and look at them; I wouldn't bother. Just go shoot. You aren't going to learn anything anyway; save the shells for targets.

If you are going to do it in a way that will tell you anything you can trust, you are in for a big job. It's worth it only if you think there may be a problem and you can at least check for that without all the problems - to say nothing if the work - of real patterning.

Start at the link above.

Neil

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Sam, the best pattern at 35 will still be the best at 46 is simply not true. I'm a fan of results, not choke designations. Your best results are to be obtained with a choke that puts 85% of your pellets inside a 30" circle at average target distance. That could be anywhere between .015' and .025" restrictions for singles.

As for 46 yards, no barrel/choke/ATA legal load combination is gong to give you 85% patterns at that distance. I'll also say that I don't know of any successful 27 yard handicap shooter that shoots that slowly.

Search tags for this page

what distance should pattern a trapgun