1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap or sporting clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have recently retired and the wife and I are looking at a move to northern MI. Presently I live in the mid MI area where there are a lot of places to shoot trap, and I take advantage of this. Up where we intend to move there are limited oportunities to shoot trap, but sporting clays are pretty much available. Don't know if I want to make a wholesale switch as I have been pretty successful at trap [95 ata ave.]. I have heard some shooters say that you can't be good at both. Can anyone give me some insight on this? I'm thinking that shooting is shooting and I should do what's available. So far I've just concentrated on trap. thanks Bill in MI

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Double your fun. Do both. JM

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I'm a big fan of SC due to the variety of target presentations. More so than trap. I also don't agree with the argument that you can't be good at both. I think that variety will just make you a better overall shooter and well rounded.

4. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Your right! Shooting is shooting. I shoot sporting clays, trap, bunker, skeet and anything else that allows me to put a gun to my shoulder. I have a good amount of sucess at all of them and I enjoy it which is the most important reason to do anything. I believe anytime that you have the opportunity to shoot at a clay target no matter which way or direction it is flying makes you a better shot.

Have fun! Regards, Joe

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Next question is: Is anyone going to complain about my using my browning gold auto? This is the only 12 gauge repeater that I have [use a bt99 for trap]. Can't use a shell catcher for sp clays. Bill

6. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    Alot depends on what kind of competitor you are. Compete with yourself for personal bests, then shoot both. Compete to beat others? Stay with one or the other. Just have fun. That's what its all about., and the smell of gunpowder in the morning!
    -powderburn

7. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I think you can be good at both. Although I'm a lot better sporting clays (and skeet) shooter than I am a trapshooter, I like them both and each have certain things that I find more appealing than I do about the other. I only wish that I could afford to shoot both as much as I would like.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: browning gold auto

Most sporting clays shooters have never heard of a shell catcher.

Autos all over the place at sporting shoots to include 5-stand and FITASC.

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

slayer, I live near Lansing.

Send me a PM if you'd like to try my local sporting clays course at the Capital Area Sportsmen's League.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Lots of semi-automatics in sporting. You have to shoot report pairs and doubles on some stations, so what good would a shell catcher do?

Many 391's on the courses. Super X-1's too.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

No problem with the Auto since you are the only one at the station at the time.

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If you have limited funds for shooting, I think Trap is less costly than Sporting clays. I have never tried Clays although I do have a large parcel of land that would lend itself to a Sporting Clays course. (for now though, it's one zoning battle at a time). Larry Evans

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If I had a sporting clays course near by that is probably all I would shoot. Sporting Clays is great fun and a bit more representative of what you find in the field. I think a guy could be good at both trap and sc but he would need to have the time and money to dedicate to each game.

14. Slugo

Slugo Member

I like a threesome!!! Trap, skeet and sporting clays... :)

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The Only Advice I can give you is to keep your "Lady Happy". If that means living in a area with little trap shooting so be it. Shoot Sporting Clays as it will make you a more well rounded shooter in the long run. Remember if she's happy the whole house will be happy!!! If she's unhappy well you know. Yes, Sporting is abit more costly, and is also harder!!! Let us know when you reach A Class in Sporting. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sporting is harder? Hahaha.... Sporting clays was designed to replicate actual hunting conditions and at the onset did a fairly decent job of doing so....

However, SC has morphed into something that for the most part does not resemble anything close to what a decent hunter would actually do in the field....

SC is a game for those folks that cannot, could not or ever be a competitive trapshooter whether it be physical and or mental shortcomings.

Curt

17. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

"SC is a game for those folks that cannot, could not or ever be a competitive trapshooter whether it be physical and or mental shortcomings.

Curt "

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Yup! I've seen those "TRAP" shooters! There physical specimens alright!

18. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Hey grnbertcj,

Not to hurt your feelings, but I bet your sporting clays average is AT LEAST 10 BIRDS LOWER than your trap average.....

Trap is a great game for "older" shooters with limited mobility (joints) and OK vision out of one eye....meaning, sporting clays is for younger people who can move/flex, have good binocular vision and can read a variety of target lines....

Nothing wrong with trap....it is a game one can shoot with diminished physical capacity.....

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Banger it to bad that Curt and I don't live closer together and near you because we would let you try to beat a couple of so called "old men" of dimenished ability.

Could we ride in a cart or is that reserved for just the agile "young" shooters.

Don

20. roger8918

roger8918 Member

"SC is a game for those folks that cannot, could not or ever be a competitive trapshooter whether it be physical and or mental shortcomings."

Wow, how does one go about proving a statement like that? What is your definition of a competitive trap shooter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.