1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap or sporting clays near chicago?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mcbrian, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcbrian

Mcbrian TS Member

I got my brother in law hooked on sporting clays and to some extent trap...he's looking for a club outside of chicago where he can begin practicing, maybe even get lessons? Any recommendations that I can send his way. I am in Cincinnati and would appreciate the guidance from the experienced members of this forum. Brian

2. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Have him check the Clubs and Shoots link on the ATA website.

Also, claytargetsonline.com has additional listings.

3. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Depending on how close to Chicago he lives there are a number of places:

Maywood SC in Elmhurst has great Trap.

St. Charles SC in Elburn (I am a member) has a lot of trap fields, a great SC course and one skeet field.

Downers Grove SC in Morris (shooting member) has lots of trap, great skeet overlay fields and an always changing and very fun SC course.

Of course there is the Northbrook gun club with it's amazing SC course and trap as well.

Dan

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It really depends where he lives. St Charles Sportsmans is great, they offer Trap, Sporting clays and Skeet for full memebers as well as outdoor ranges for pistol rifle and archery. Shooting membership is &0 dollars a year and he can shoot trap and sporting clays on that membership. It's located in Elburn Illinois which is 45 miles west of Chicago. I am a shooting memeber there and its a great place. Naperville is west of Chicago by 30 miles and offers trap shooting, I believe it is steel shot only never been there. I also belong to Maywood Sportsmans club as a shooting member in Elmhurst,Il about 25 miles west of Chicago. Trap and 5 stand they shoot Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings nice club been shooting there for 30 + years.If you'd like more detailed info send me a private message. There are several other clubs in the Chicago area.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If he's looking to just drop in and not commit to membership, his options will be limited to West Chicago or Naperville. He can have limited access to Downers Grove as a guest of a member. St. Charles and Maywood require membership, as well as Palos and/or Aurora (Waterman, IL)

All the facilities have their pros and cons...

As a facility of Naperville's Park District system, it requires the use of steel shot only ($6/box+tax)... however, we throw American Trap like everyone else... if he shoots a modern firearm, he'll be fine... if he has a vintage firearm, it may be questionnable...

If Sporting is what he wants to shoot, Deer Creek in 3 Oaks, MI is a great public facility...

Naperville has an Open House on 9/16, if he'd like to stop in and visit - otherwise we're a Thursday evening/Sunday afternoon operation...

Jay Spitz

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Spitter, you are incorrect. Both Maywood and St Charles offer daily memberships that are basically walk in. I am a member at both. Don't know about Downers, and Northbrook has always been a members only club.

7. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Downers has a guest fee for daily shooting but is limited to a few visits. Shooting Membership is cheap compared to most. Use the Guest fee to try Trap, Skeet & Sporting Clays before you decide to join. Shoot Tue. Thur Mornings 9-1 and Friday nights 6-10 plus weekends Saturday & Sunday. # miles West of Morris on Old Stage Road.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

from the Maywood SC website...

Membership Information -
    A valid F.O.I.D.card and sponsorship by a Full Member are required for a shooting membership. Approval of candidate is also required by the trap committee and the membership committee.
    Shooting Members are limited to trap and sporting clays shooting only and any other use of club facilities may only be as a guest of a Full Member...

On the St. Charles website they discuss Full or Senior Membership, Shooting Membership and/or Trap Membership...

There is no mention of any other forms of membership on either website... so yes, I could be incorrect if both websites are inaccurate...

Jay

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Club websites are not always updated and don't always provide the information you need. Maywood does allow shooters on a daily membership fee of $10. That doesn't mean that anybody can walk off the street and shoot, but if they're comfortable allowing you to shoot, you wear a temporary member badge and pay a little more for the targets.

Northbrook at one time instituted a twice a year daily fee for shooters who
    lived outside a 75 mile (I think) radius. I don't know if that is still in effect, but generally if you appear to be a shooter and possibly interested in joining, someone there will sign for you as a guest. They also have instructors for trap, skeet, and sporting clays. Northbrook's membership is, however, much more expensive than any of the other clubs.

With the current economy, most clubs are looking for new members, and will
    accomodate a visiting shooter.

10. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

You might also check out McHenry sportsman's club. They shoot Wed. afternoons as well as Sat and Sun. Open to the public or as members. Check the website for maps and shooting fees.
    Dave

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

"outside of chicago" is a pretty big area. Can you narrow it down for us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20016 what does maywood sportsman club have
chicago area trap shooting
chicago skeet shooting

skeet and sporting clay clubs chicago illinois

skeet shooting chicago area
skeet shooting lessons chicago area

skeet shooting near chicago

sporting clays near chicago