1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap or Skeet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Which is considered easier to shoot, trap or skeet?

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Traditionally, it's said skeet is harder to learn but easier to master.

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Friend of mine told me once, trap is easier to learn, skeet is easier to master. I think a beginner would generally run his first 25 in trap singles before he would in skeet- but you will run your first 100 in skeet before you will in trap.

I think thats basically true - not for everyone as people have their own abilities, but by and large,I think thats correct.

John

4. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I just started shooting clays in August. Not knowing what I liked better I started shooting both trap and skeet equally (please don't ban me from this site). I'm currently shooting 22-24 in skeet, but only managing 20 in trap. In skeet when I miss, I'm rarely surprised that I missed (I know right away why I missed). In trap, misses are often followed by wondering why I missed. I would have to say that for me, trap is going to be the more difficult to master, but I'm by no means anywhere near that level for either yet.

5. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I concur. Trap is a bit easier to get the hang of and break a 1st 25. Skeet is tougher since the leads from the 3-6 houses are a bit unnatural for the beginning shooter...they were for me. I got my 1st 25 in trap well before my 1st 25 in skeet. However, as I go along, I find trap to be more challenging as I move back from the 16 yard line. I like them both a lot, though. They are different..the relaxing social aspect of shooting with the skeet squad is more enjoyable than the business-like, no-nonsense of a trap squad. I have really enjoyed shooting the low gun, wobble skeet (International? Continental?). That is a really fun outing and the guys that shoot it are usually doing it with SxS 28's. A 25 is not expected so misses don't ruin your day. All the games are good..never tried bunker or FITASC, though. Have fun!

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Skeet is earier. The targets are in a set path a path that you know. Trap is not. The hard part about skeet is getting in those girly cloths and getting the make up right.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I can't tell you whick one is easier, but Skeet is truly a sub-guage sport. Anything more than 7/8 oz is overkill.

A 28ga is perfect for skeet.

ss

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I haven't shot much skeet but I didn't find it very easy when I did.....by the way Auctioneer would you mind sharing your skeet scores with us so we can know that you know what you are talking about? How do you do with the 410? I find the little gauge really challenging.

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I'm not a Skeet shooter... at least I've never shot registered targets, but I've broken 100 straight in all five gauges (16 too) and I don't consider myself a good shooter. Once you learn it, it's pretty easy (well, the 410 wasn't that easy). Doubles and International is a different story. I don't know that it's harder to learn than Trap, it's just different.

10. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

I am an A class skeet shooter and certified as the world's worst trap shooter. It would be interesting to see what percentage of shooters have run 100 straight in either sport. I shoot regularly with guys that have never run 25 straight much less 100. I have friends that are excellent trap shooters and couldn't hit a trash can lid on the skeet range. If I ever figure all of this out I'll let you know.

BTW I'm an excellent pistol shot and can't hit a barn with a rifle........

Shoot safe, John

11. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Not bragging but I used to shoot 100's regularly in skeet when I shot for Navy although a 100 in .410 still eludes me. I used 20 gage in the 12. Now I shoot 28 gage in all three except .410. To me a 100 in Trap singles seems further away right now. Skeet is a little 'easier' since the birds are a million miles closer. But really they are both 'hard' now because I don;t really train or practice for skeet any more. I used to shoot once or twice during the week - about 4 or 5 flats - and then on both weekends when not competing - about 3 or 4 flats. Of course Navy was providing the ammo back then. In competitive skeet you end up training primarily for the 100th bird. In trap I gotta' practice for each bird right now.

mar

12. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

My first 100 straight was a Handi-cap event, MSP Gun Club (Flinched the whole time). My second was 16 yard event at the MN state shoot (Flinched all day).

Just before that, I shot 1000 plus targets at a Marathon, MSP Gun club

Got a Double Release

The next were 2 Skeet 12 and 20 gauge Albany, MN.

Than it all went to hell. You expect because you got there once you can stay there, but OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek:).

First 100 in Skeet doubles, Cow Town Open, Ft. Worth. A great shooter from KS missed one to let me in the back door. Thanks again.

I prefer Skeet and find it takes way to long.

I like Trap but find it takes even longer than Skeet, and you never know what time you are going to shoot.

Now I am a self admitted failure at Sporting but like the idea. Shoot all day never have to stand around waiting for an event. If a station is busy just go to another one.

Have not shot for a year now. The cost of gas, hotels, guns, reloads etc. Maybe I will shot some this year. I signed up for the Cross Fire Program. Have not shot Trap for a year.

Maybe just burned out. Still hunt and play Golf(kind of a laugh).

Take care,

Jim

13. k3uro

k3uro Member

Oh,

By the way for me Trap came easier, but none of it is easy.

If it was we would be shooting 100s, ah?

Take care,

Jim

14. The Stive

The Stive Member

I shoot more trap, but I enjoy skeet as well. Both are good games. John

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Hunter44, The last time I shot skeet was when the skeeters open their mouths one time to meany. I shot a score of 23 with a 12 ga. Oh by the way that was a fixed choke on a 32 inch barrel trap gun. They shut upped and didn't say anything else.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Auct. maybe he was saying to zip your lip until you have something meaningful to say about the subject. Your shooting prowness just amazes me, by the way I shoot skeet all the time with my trap gun.

Don

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

When you think you are a good shot at trap or skeet try a sporting clays tournament to bring you back down to earth. And if you get a good score go to another one and it will bring you back down. Skeet and trap can drain you because you are trying to get a perfect 100. Sporting clays is up and down depending on the course and which type targets you shoot best.

18. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

And now my real love is shown. I have shot skeet and enjoyed it, haven't been on the trap range (yet...), but I do love to shoot sporting. I enjoy the walk through the woods, the sound of my mossy when I blast away a clay.

Damn winter has got to go, I'm ready to shoot.....

John Peterman

19. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

The guy shooting Skeet with the Trap gun is not unusual. Of course it is tough with a single barrel :eek:)

My Skeet gun is a 32" Special Trap with sub gauge tubes. I seldom shoot Trap with it.

I shoot a BT 99, and a 32" 3200.

Take care,

Jim

20. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

I agree with the above posters who say Skeet is easier. Skeet shooters own their home grounds and know where to go every year for their championships. It's easy. Trap shooters don't own anything but some traps, so it's hard from year to year traveling around like homeless Gypsies at the whim of various groups hoping they don't get kicked out of the location they are renting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

23 a beginner score in international skeet

how to shoot skeet with single bt 99 skeet
should you learn trap before skeet
trap course is 16 or 27 harder
trap or skeet
what is harder skeet or trap
whats easier trap or skeet