1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap only 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BadKarma62, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Okay, I got the 870. Here's the questions:

Stock: I want to custom paint the stock and forearm. But I need some advice. Do you need an adjustable comb along with a high rib or can I start with a trap stock and adjust the rib?

I like to keep things simple so keeping the variables to a minimum is a big plus.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

If you add to the rib or replace the existing one with a higher one, you will also need the raise the comb proportionately. If you want to keep it simple, shoot it as is.

As to the paint, that goes on cars and houses.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I second the paint comments.

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

BadKarma62

To keep it simple if you have any shooting ability at all then you will adjust ok I went from a field grade Itacha model 37 pump gun to a full blown Bereta 680 Combo with more Barrel's than is offered.

I have won in the past guns worth a lot more than what I still shoot but them fancy guns can't shoot any better than the one that I was shooting at the time.
    Ok now days my high end trap guns is Bereta then goes down to a Model 12 or 2 winchester then down to a few Remington 870 guns.

Anyway it is not the Fancy gun that makes you a good shooter it is the person and if the person is a natural then stand back maybe they will compete in the near future.

5. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Thanks y'all.

I'm not to worried about adapting. I've been a rifle/handgun shooter for almost 40 years, even a lot of "long" range in the military. It's just recent I caught the shotgun bug. My 2nd day I shot 41/50 on the wobble trap. I watched some high school kids shooting trap is what got me hooked.

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of a beautiful slab of walnut, but my personality insists on a splash of color sometimes. I found a Monte Carlo stock for a nice price, but it's laminated and not that attractive to me, hence the paint idea.

Now the barrel work is in the works.

I'll post pics when it's time.

thanks

6. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

I caution you, too much change can effect your game for the good or bad. However, with that said, whatever changes you make stay true with it and don't run from one gun to another during the learning phase. IMO

The painting of the stock, it's your gun. If you wish to personalize it go for it. Nothing wrong with painting a gun. Now painting a high grade wood on a highend gun would be as close to a sin as one could get, but whatever floats your boat.

Good luck and enjoy.

7. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

I caution you, too much change can effect your game for the good or bad. However, with that said, whatever changes you make stay true with it and don't run from one gun to another during the learning phase. IMO

The painting of the stock, it's your gun. If you wish to personalize it go for it. Nothing wrong with painting a gun. Now painting a high grade wood on a highend gun would be as close to a sin as one could get, but whatever floats your boat.

Good luck and enjoy.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BEFORE you start messing around with the gun ... shoot it a few times!

THEN see if the stock needs adjustment.

Once it shoots where you are looking ... then decorate it up.

9. BadKarma62

BadKarma62 TS Member

Thanks Ahab.

Funny thing is, I'm having big time dental work done on Thursday, so I took the 870 out for a quick round of Trap. Yes, the stock is WAY to short, length and height. I'm a pretty good sized guy anyway with gorilla arms!!!!!

The barrel needs the work and the stock HAS to go.

My game won't be effected at all, because I haven't got a game yet! But I do appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

For the record: The maiden voyage of this shotgun and myself, resulted in 12/50 from the 16 yard stations. That's a full fixed choke on a shotgun I had never fired before. I'll keep the updates coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.