1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap machines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by N. J. BOB, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

What trap machine would you recommend for a very small club with $3000.00 to spend ??

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Do yourself a big favor and buy what you need and not what you cna afford. It is best to buy once then twice.

Pass the hat around or keep saving up your money and buy a Pat-Trap. If you can't buy a new one there are ones out there used that will just as good.

Look here on TS.com and call the factory and ask them if they have anything. If not then ask who is a repair stations or people who might have one to sell.

Buy it right the first time. It will save you money in the long run.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

If you don't want to throw doubles, there are many GP 544's around for sale at 2500 and less. Good electric machine, made in Kansas, with full support from the company.

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Personally I would buy a Pat Trap in a heart beat but they just wont spend the money....Maybe you are right we should just hold off until we have the money...

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Have you called Shyda's to see if they have any used equipment? Good people to deal with. Good luck, Bob

6. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Agreed Roger

7. 320090T

How long is the arm on the "other machines"? Need to know so I can compare to our Pats

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You can get an Atlas trap AT 250 for about $1300, buy two just in case one breaks down they have a 5 yr warranty, and life time on the drive, or an AT 400 for about $2300

I have an AT 50 that has thrown 1000's of targets without a problem

9. 320090T

For 2500 you can buy a good electric GP trap. The Atlas is ok for the back yard but not very sturdy. Local club bought one and is sorry.

10. ljutic 111

ljutic 111 TS Member

Here at Mallard , we are satisfied with our Super Stars . Shyda has very good business relations with his customers .

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Unfortunately, Superstar is out of business!!

12. Bob Hawkes

I don't know where ljutic 111 is located, but here in eastern Mass. we've had great service and help from Shyda's. Good luck, Bob

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Mallard Trap Club is in Monroe Twsp , Central NJ , and about 2 1/2 hr drive from Shyda`s shop and when we needed any assistance Steve would be there within a day or 2 . Rod and Steve have also helped us over the phone when we had a problem . WE have our 2 machines under water from Irene and I may be taking them both up to there shop one at a time for storm maintanence after speaking with Rod of the future damage that can happen if the bearing and motors aren`t removed and cleaned . 5 ft of flood waters did a job at our club . The worse weather in 60+ years that they, the home owners remember . I wish Rod would get more involved with USA ownership which may happen . I`m off now to remove one machine .

14. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Try a Laporte. Used machines go for less than $2000. They throw good targets. Good support from many dealers around the country. We have had 15 Laportes since 1993 and have had very little problems.

15. Bob Hawkes

Sorry to hear that Mallard. The down side of them is water and electronics do not mix well. Hope you make out OK.

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Avoid Laporte like the plague.... They are really called LeCraps. One of the cheapest alternatives is the upgrade of the Winchester hand set. People will almost give you a hand set trap and then you can buy a conversion kit for about $2k and you are in business. Its called Retro Trap http://www.westernretro.net/

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem with LaPortes is the crummy American soft targets.

18. Bob Hawkes

TBaber, I've wondered if the retro-fit could or would be a decent trap for a bunker set-up. Just wondering.

Euro Joe gave me a good laugh.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Retro Traps are oscillating traps and are not suitable for bunker. Retro does make a wobble trap version that should be ok for that sport.

The problem with LeCraps has nothing to do with targets. I have seen them malfunction on hard International targets.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.