1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Machine Maintenance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slkslk, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

Just a simple tip I did with my winchester western trap machine. I bought a small rubber plunger for a sink. You know about 3 1/2" diameter and drilled a hole in the center so it would go over the tension bolt. The cup part of the plunger is going over the spring and the base is toward the front nose cone of the trap machine. This way if the spring breaks it might save the nose from being broke by the shock.

Steve

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve... Original Winchester handsets came with a large rubber "donut" washer that fit over the spring tensioning bolt between the spring and the nose of the trap to accomplish the very same thing. Winchester was well aware of the consequences if that donut was not there... Just an FYI... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You can always tell a machine that lost it's donut.

4. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

Never knew that there was supose to be one there. Wonder if there are any pictures of one out there. I have not seen it listed in the parts list, but I could be missing something too. I was reading the info from westernretro and they suggested to use one of the old gromets from the top arm. Those being so small I was out looking for a beefy bushing and spotted the plunger and thought hey this would be great. Has to be better than nothing. I sure don't want to have to start welding the front nose cone because of something that could have been prevented.

Steve

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Seems I was told that car shock washers/rubbers could be used. I think I even installed some. This was 10 plus years ago. Ray

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Those were the same rubbers that we used on the Winchesters before we changed over to the super stars .

7. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

Yes i knew you could use the rubber gromet from the throwing arm. I just thought the plunger might give a little more protection

Steve

8. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

We used old U363 Escapement cushions, (The rubber that held the targets up in the carousal) for this.

9. traploader

traploader Member

I have a bunch of rubber cushions made up for this purpose. They're about 3 x 3 with a hole in the center for the X42 mainspring tension screw.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.