1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap machine knowledge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MarkLT, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkLT

MarkLT Member

have been shooting ATA trap for a year or better now and i have heard discussions about target presentations
    Have been interested in understanding whats meant if the machine is a 3 hole vs a 2 hole
    Does the trap machine have a limited number of positions it can stop in ?

Thanks
    Ron

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The hole number controls how wide an angle the machine can throw the target. The 1 hole is the narrow width and as the number increases so does how wide an angle the machine can throw. HMB

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

This came from the old Winchester traps, that actually had holes to choose the width of the target presentation. The PAT traps have magnets that can be adjusted to give the needed width, not holes. Just old terminology that hasn't changed with the technology. Mark

4. traploader

traploader Member

Hi Ron,

Here's a picture of the angle changing disc on a Winchester Western "White Flyer" Trap Machine. The center hole was for doubles or straight-aways if loading single targets for practice. The other holes #1 - #5 were used to oscillate the trap machine. #3 hole was commonly used for 44 degrees of oscillation. #5 would give up to 94 degrees. Depending on whether you had a head or tail wind one could set the machine to maintain ATA specs for target presentation.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products

traploader_2008_030328.jpg

5. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Ron,
    The difference between 2 hole and 3 hole is this on a hard left, 2 hole the hard left will be a straight away between stations 4 & 5, 3 hole a hard left will be a straight away on post 5, see what I am saying? 3 hole is just a few degrees wideer presentation than 2 hole. Scott

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Actually, the straight-a-way is caused by setting the adjusting screw in the center hole, the 0 hole, and the field orientation is adjusted by a spring lever located on the bronze bushing under the nut that screws into any of these 5 holes...

I was the Midwsest Distributor for the W-W Western Trap & skeet machines for many years and spent a great deal of time at H-S Precision, the company whom I orchestrated the Winchester buyout and move to Rapdi City SD.

WW

7. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Sorry, but the #2 hole did not give 44 degrees included angle, the #3 hole gave this amount on a model 1524 Western machine. The #2 hole gives only 34 degrees included angle.

8. trap72

trap72 Member

My trap experience started in 1972 with 3-hole targets at most trap clubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata trap machine what hole for angles