1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Alright guys. I was wondering what you all think. What do you handloaders out there shoot for 1 0z loads. I am currently using a mec single stage. I am using a 31 bushing and clays powder with a sts powder piston wads and winchester primers.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Hull? I been loading STS hull 17grains clays TGT12 Wad CCI primer runs about 1180/1200 fps. I tried finding load info for the power piston wads. Did not find any. Maybe in some older manuals. I recently been loading 7/8oz in the tgt 12. I ordered some downrange wads from birchrichs(sp) out of new your. Did not come in with the order. How many grains is the 31 bushing throwing?

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

99- The MEC single stage will do the trick; but as you know it is a very slow process to complete loading a box of shells. If you enjoy making your own shells and being able to produce the load that suits you; then you might want to keep an eye out for a progressive type loader. There are a lot of MEC Grabbers out there at a decent price; that would fit your needs. (If budget is of a concern). That being said you need to have a powder scale. Just using a certain bushing is not the way to go. You need to weigh those powder charges; especially when changing powders. My "pet" load is an STS or Gun Club hull, a Fiocchi primer, 17.2 grains of Promo or Red Dot powder, (Promo is much cheaper and I can't tell the difference), a DownRange DRRT12 wad, (much cheaper than Remington and work just as good) and 1 oz. of Lawrence Magnum #8 shot. However, as stated; get a powder scale. You can find them on ebay. A used RCBS can be had for maybe $25 or so. You can get powder information off the internet by accessing the powder manufacturers website. Hope this helps. Ed

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Ed i was wondering how you liked promo powder? Does it shoot clean? And how many fps are you pushing?

5. dzneff

dzneff Member

I have been using 17.0 gr. Clays, Winchester 12SL (pink) wads for several years. This load has light recoil and crushes targets to and including the 27 yd. line. Dennis

6. esoxhunter

99- I cannot tell you how many fps this load produces. Don't really have access to a chronograph. Actually, unless I am a long yardage shooter, (I'm at the 25); fps really doesn't bother me. (Probably wouldn't anyway). Just another thing to worry about. Although when I load my handicap loads I increase the powder drop to 18 grains, (Red Dot) and change wads to the Remington Figure 8. I increase my shot drop to 1- 1/16 oz, (465 grains). (All the more reason one needs a scale). Experiment on your own and shoot the load that you are comfortable with. I do not like to switch powders as it only causes 2nd guessing and confusion. Many years ago I shot Red Dot and then switched to 700X. At that time Red Dot was too dirty for me. (They have really cleaned this powder up though). I then went to Clays, (Don't ask me why, I just wanted to experiment). I now went back to Red Dot and Promo exclusively. It's just personal preference. I have settled on these 2 loads and this is all I reload. Ed

7. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I am shooting clays right now. I love the powder, but i am thinking of going to red dot or promo also because of the price. It is much cheaper than clays, and i am really limited to a certain budget. Ed, i was wondering if you possibly know how to get a sponsor. I am 16 so i need help with the money part of it, but id love to shoot.. well for the rest of my life.

8. esoxhunter

99: To be sponsored in the clay target sports, you really need to show and prove "exceptional" abilities. There are many, many very good shooters out there. But to compete with the likes of Leo Harrison, Kay Ohye, Ray Stafford, etc, etc; it is extremely difficult. (And there are a ton of shooters out there thinking of the same thing you are). You are young and my advice is to try and get a part time job at a retail shooting supply business. This will allow you to earn some extra $$ and quite possibly enable you to purchase supplies at wholesale cost. Good luck and see if you can get a few local shooters, (that have known ability); i.e. AA in 16 yard and doubles and who are on the 27 in handicap. They can assist you in your quest to improve. Just don't be discouraged and allow that discouragement to affect your desire to shoot. Just set "realistic" goals and strive to improve on them. Good Luck. Ed

9. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I am using 17.2g of Titewad, Windjammer WJII wad, 1 oz #8 shot, Winchester AA HS hulls, Fiocchi primer and getting 1225 FPS over my Pact chronograph. This load crushes targets back to the 27 when I do my part. When it gets cold I switch to 7.5's with the same load.

I like Titewad because it is the lowest cost powder, except Promo, very consistant lot to lot and clean burning. I reload to save money and shoot more.

....Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.