1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Load Velocities

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

I've been wanting to check the speed of a few reload recipes a friend and I are using so yesterday we set up the chrono and started shooting 3 shots each of the various loads. Temp was 34* and we were using a 34" barrel on the gun. All loads contained 1-1/8oz shot.

load #1. Rem. STS hull, 19.8grs Green Dot, Versalite wad, Rem 209P primer. The average velocity for this load was 1235fps which was about what we expected.

load #2. Rem. STS hull, 21.9grs IMR PB, Versalite wad, Rem. 209P primer. This one surprised us with an average of 1262fps.

load #3. Fed. GM hull, 20.5grs Green Dot, Fed. 12S3 wad, Fed. 209A primer. This one really got our attention...1278fps.

load #4. old style AA hull, 21.9grs IMR PB, Versalite wad, WW 209 primer. Again, this one was faster than expected... 1264fps.

load #5. Fed. GM hull, 19.5grs Green Dot, 12S3 wad, Fed. 209A primer. Average speed was 1208fps.

load #6. Factory Remington Premier 3dr load bought at the 2010 Grand. 1249fps.

Most all of these seem a bit fast, especially when printed data for some of the loads shows a 1200fps speed. Anyone else see results like these? Oh, that PB is a fantastic powder, just wish it wasn't so expensive!

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Take about 35fps off what you recorded and you're right in the ballpark. The chrono is only reading the first few pellets not the core. The core will be a little slower.

Neil Winston did a good write-up about this a few years back.

ss

3. John55

John55 Active Member

Yes, I remember the thread about that! Thanks for the heads up, now I know our loads are about where we wanted/expected them to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap load velocity