1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Lights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Billydog, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billydog

Billydog TS Member

Can anyone find a drawing of the legal lighting parameters for a trapshoot. Thanks..Tom.....Thanks to everyone

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, I do remember pics of 47 fords lined up....

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have seen lighting anywhere from barely being able to see the target to near daylight brightness....always lit from behind. It may depend how much the club can afford, but don't really know.

Jim C

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are what you need.

Initially my club put two on a pole, located to the elft and righ rear of the 27 yard line. We now have 4 per pole, and believe me it IS daylight at night now.

If/when you order these lights, be sure to order them with bulbs and not order the bulbs later. Much cheaper when ordered all together.

WW

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

The MAN has spoken! These are the best you can get. We have two fields with these lights and they are great.

ctreay

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Comment: Be sure to install the lights high enough and far enough back from the shooters so that in the summer the shooters will not be bothered by the bugs that would be attracted to the lights.

Allen

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

These are Musco Sports lighting. 3 poles per field in a 3-4-3 fixture set up. This is Markham Park in S. Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

I notice that the MUSCO setup requires 10 lamps to a field (3-4-3) where we have 2 of the 1500w MH lamps.

ctreay

9. Garry

Garry Active Member

What is the recommended height above ground and the distance behind the 27 yard line.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Good question: Height?

I guess I don't know. We installed them on new standard telephone poles and the work was done by a high-line, high-power lightning company (they shoot at our club). It appears that they are about as high as the standard telephone pole, and we angled the lights down NO MORE than 10ยบ.

These are kinda pricey so see if one of your members can buy them wholesale.

I gave some old 1000W lights just like these 1500W to the Sidney NE trap club run by Cabela's. Never heard how they worked out, however.

Whiz

11. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Up here in Alaska we do shoot a lot in the dark for fall and spring leagues,the range is going to try LED lights.It will save about 150 dollars a month per range and about 5000 a month overall,the LED lights are not cheap either about a 1/3 more expensive.The nice thing is instance light,not the 3 to 4 minutes to start with the old ones.

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have been out of the business for years now but the standard used to be:
    2 poles per field,
    2 1500 watt Metal Halide fixtures with a Type III distribution or, 3 1000watt Metal Halide fixtures with a Type II distribution,
    Mounting height above ground was recommended at 20 feet the deal here is you do not want the firing line too bright (either of these arrays will provide approximately 30 footcandles on the target @ 30 yards and 5 footcandles on the firing line) and you don't want too much down angle for the fixtures,
    poles placed between posts 1-2 and 4-5 about 2' behind 27 yard line,
    You may want to use more setback just in case the max yard line is extended,
    personally I liked using the 6 fixture setup because if one lamp goes out you can still see very well. These arrays are recommended for recreational shooting and came from GE and the Illuminating Engineering Society. Any Sportslighting manfacturer/distributor should be able to provide you with the most recent recommendations along with schematics. JRM

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

ctreay,

You have 2 fixtures per field we have ten so we must be 5x brighter. I don't know if ten fixtures per field are required but it looks like daylight out to about 150 yards from the lights. When the county that owns the range spends money on lights, they really spend money. Must be why practice is $9/25. ;-))

Eric

14. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

how much $ for each light my club wants to get lights thanks in advance bob mctaggart

15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Eric,

Markham is the club I was referring to when i said "near daylight". The best lit fields for night shooting I have seen.

JMHO

Jim C

16. ctreay

ctreay Member

The 1500 watt 240volt Metal Halides are about $400.00

ctreay

17. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Hey Billy Dog,

Musco is the way to go!! Notice that the electrical boxes are all at ground level so you don't have to climb to work on them. They are offered with a 25 year warrenty. cost per lumen is the best in the business and if you forget to turn them off all you can call the corperate HQ and they can turn them off or on for you.

There is good reason that Musco lights NASCAR, MLB, NFL and many many more venues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
led lights for trap shooting
led lightstrapshootingrange
night light trap team
olypic trap shooting range lighting
the best lit night trap shooting lights
tips for night trap shooting

trap shooting lighting

trap shootong led scope