1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap League question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How do the different Trap Leagues handle times when members shooting on league teams are unable to attend and shoot on occasions? Allow "make-up" rounds? Allow "reserve" rounds shot ahead of time and held in reserve for later use?

The League I've been shooting in, which is made up of teams of shooters from multiple local area clubs (postal match style, scores shot at you'r home club & sent in), allows both make-up rounds shot after or reserve rounds shot before the normal weekly "league nite". Even tho' originally intended that each shooter shoot one round for "league" (first round of the evening) on that club's league nite, rules allow to shoot as many "reserve" rounds ahead of time as the shooter wants, only rule is that they must be used in the order that they were shot. The way it works out, a lot of the guys shoot a BUNCH of reserve rounds some evening when it's nice out (no wind) and then use those good scores rather than "shoot for league" on league nites when it's windy. Not against the rules of this Trap league altho' in my mind it's stretching the spirit of good sportsmanship? I've been shooting in this league ever since I started shooting (five years), but getting disgusted with it and don't plan to participate another year.

There's GOTTA' be a better way to allow shooters to skip an occasional league nite those times that it's un-avoidable and still maintain fair play?

John C. Saubak

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

No make-ups or pre-shot rounds. Shooter must pay for rounds whether he/she shows or not, is responsible for finding his/her own sub., if no member or sub. shoots the team gets a pair of 15's scored for the missing shooter.

Buz

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Like Buz says, but we have 3 subs per 5 man team. they have to be listed, and must shoot once by the halfway point.

No shooting behind allowed, if you can't get a team you can shoot ahead. you must inform the opposing team, they have the option to shoot ahead to, in case weather might be a factor.

We have a man against man point system, missing man loses point to opponent.

HM

4. Boxhorn

Boxhorn TS Member

My gun club hosts about 900 shooters on 6 person teams during the summer. We are open 6 days a week. We also have spring, summer and fall 3 peson teams. We allow anyone to shoot at any time for that week. Weeks run Tuesday through Sunday. If you don't shoot by Sunday you get a zero. You can shoot ahead up to 3 weeks. This allows for vacations etc yet doesn't allow someone to shoot 8 weeks on a gorgeous calm day! The only reason we allow a make up round is for a funeral. It works very well and out of the 900 shooters less than a handful take a zero each week. The shoot ahead ensures your club gets its revenue. No one wants a zero and you can argue the purity of shooting the same night but you must keep in mind it is more about everyone shooting, having fun, and generating revenue for the club than whether one person or another had better shooting conditions.

By giving shooters more options your club will attract more members and your leagues will grow making them more competitive. By only allowing people to shoot on only one night you extremely restrict your league on who can participate. This is because in todays very busy life styles many young shooters have soccer, baseball etc to attend for their kids. If the family events fall on your league nite they can't participate. Open it up and you will get more shooters.
    Rick

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If there are ten league shoots, then best 7 out of 10 count for score. This allows for vacations and the like. HMB

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I shoot a Summer league and a Winter league. Both leagues allow for make-ups and shoot aheads, I think the rule is any combination of three. Your make-ups are only good for your own score and do not count as a part of the 5 man team. You must shoot your score for the week you shoot first than you may shoot your make-up. This allows for shooters to be elegable for the banquet at the end of the league. You must have the required number of shoots to get a free banquet ticket. But as I said your score is only good for your personal average. Bern

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

John,

Here in Great Falls, for the spring league, you have one makeup....... (That's for the first week only) and 2 shoot aheads.......then it's 80 % of your personal average for any of the rest that you might miss.

It seems to keep the shoot when it's nice down to a minumum.

shoot well and have fun........Rickyd

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our league squads are established on the first nite. The league runs for eight weeks. We shoot 25 from 16 yardline and 25 from the teams Handicap yardage which is established each week by the teams overall rank in the league. The number 1 team shoots from the 27 and number 2 shoots from the 26 etc. down to the 20 yardline. The top 4 people on the squad has their scores count and the fifth shooter that nite, the score is ignored. If someone is a No Show they get one target deducted from their previous weeks 16 yard score and one target deducted from their Handicap yardage score. Each 25 target score is adjusted by a formula: adjusted score = raw score + .7 * ( 24 - raw score ) with the lowest raw score defaulting to 10.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Greater Lowell Trap League.(Mass/NH) We have approx 45 8 man teams from AA to E divisions from 13 local clubs. 18 week season, each team shoots 250 birds (16yd only)in the match, if you show up, you have to shoot at least on round. With eight shooters it allows for absences. 10 scores from each team count. If you are not there.....then no score that week. Top 5 averages usually shoot first round, then the remaining shoot the second round filling in with high scores from the first round. No need for make ups, pre-shooting etc. How could that be fair anyway, they would be shooting in different condition. We all shoot the same light/wind/rain/impending darkness!-Frank C

10. beyyupot

beyyupot Member

Frank C, Who is the contact person for joining the Greater Lowell league ? Thank you, Dick Hewett.

11. Dusty Bob

Dusty Bob TS Member

Thanks guys,
    These suggestions are what I was looking for. We have a small league with 2 man teams at our local club.

I was thinking about the 16 yard for the opening round and a handicap for the second round each week. We would also have individual as well as team prizes. The league will run for 10 weeks.

12. bgf

bgf Active Member

We run it as a TEAM sport. If you miss a night you affect your team's standings. We want the social part in the equation. You can make-up pre or post of the missing night. It just has to be within a two week period and ONLY on a Tuesday league night. NO Sunday noon nice weather stuff. Your make-up night might be better then you missed night but that is as close to fair as we can get. You can have a sub shoot for you but that negates your total bird count for High Gun at end of league but does not hinder your team's position.

Bernie

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Shot in leagues many years ago and have intentions of getting back to them. Our league, if you missed after the first night you got your score - 20% of your average. We shot 100 clays. 50-16's and 50-handycaps. Handycap was set at 24 yrd. ln. No matter how good of a shooter you were. You didn't miss to many shoots because -20% got to where it would add up on the subtraction. This was an 8 week shoot. There were 31 different teams. Then we went into the team shoot off, and the shoot for the individual. Somewhat similar to bowling league. To where at the end of the league it's a free for all and your average counts towards the individual. If I remember it right a Woman with a low average won the individual and our team 2 won the team overall. Our team placed 3rd. in the overall team shoot. Not bad out of 31 Teams. Both teams made pay and trophy. Not bad for first and third. With third place being last on the pay scale. Fourth and fifth got recognition because there were so many teams. We didn't loose to many shooters and most of them came back for the second go around of shooting or the next 8 weeks. We had 28 teams for this 8 week go around. As a special added attraction The winner of this 8 week Team shoot had to shoot off with the winner of the last 8 Week Team Shoot. This was for recognition and a picture plaque. But no money. It was fun. Team 1 & team 2 of our two teams had to shoot off and we Team 1 Won!! Because we won that second 8 weeks For Teams. go figure our Team 2 finished 3rd that time to. We just switched places. The bigger money was in the individual shooters. They payed down to 10th. place. There was a lot of money generated in these shoots. And we had a big banquet for both. Rich(inPeorai,Az.)

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Dick Hewett, you need to belong to one of the clubs that participates in the league, where do you live? my email is xxxstepsaver@hotmail.comxx drop the x's and shoot me an email and I will fill you in!
    Hurry, the league starts in mid April and goes until to mid August...

15. g36

g36 Member

At our club if we are shooting our league we keep score with red ink, I can shoot alone, with other league members or with anyone who is shooting, only shooters "IN RED" scores are kept for the league standings,there are no set times to shoot, 16 week winter league and a 12 week summer league.Our club also shoots in a travel league along with 8 other clubs about every three weeks. You can play all of the options lewis class ,high gun etc... but only the top 5 scores from each club are counted toward the clubs scores so if you have to miss a week now and then you don't hurt your clubs score.

16. Duck 51

Duck 51 Member

I shoot in a league in a town West of where I live. We shoot an 8 week Spring and an 8 week Fall league. We can shoot anytime the club is open once the league starts. Kind of wide open. We shoot 16 yards, divide team total score by number of shooters (5)to determine handicap yardage. Our leagues (Spring, Skeet, and Fall) are run for 8 weeks. We have 7 shooters for each team using the best of 5 scores. We shoot 16 yards and 20 yards with a handicap based on 45. You can not shoot before league starts or after league ends. Once league starts, you are only allowed to shoot 1 week ahead or 1 week behind. With this rule, you could shoot 3 weeks in one night of shooting. We are open on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.