1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap league format

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I'm going to set up a trap league at our club beginning late spring. Most of the participants will be recretional shooters who have never shot ATA targets. We have only one trap also. I have been thinking about using a handicap similar to what is used in golf which would be based on average scores or using one round of singles and a round of handicap with yardage based on singles score. I like the idea of handicap yardage but am concerned about squadding with only one trap. I'd like to hear from any league shooters about what works well.

Thanks

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

This going to be individuals or teams?

3. wlc

wlc Member

Individuals.

4. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

check the link above - We have used this handicap scoring system to run a league for the past 3 years. We select options to favor the novice during the setup of the handicap scoring. Once it's set up, all you do is enter scores each week. All shooting is from 16 yds.

We shoot two man teams and the first year the league was won by two high school kids who were new shooters, the second year a father-son team who were both competitive shooters, this past year a teen-aged novice and his grandfather who had never shot at a trap target before.

It has been very successful because it truly does level the field. It has good protection against sand-bagging or "ringers". If anyone has an advantage, it's the novice shooter.

5. Ertz

Ertz Member

Check out the link above for a Windows desktop application to handle your league scoring. This product has a one time cost unlike others that have a recurring costs. It is Windows 7 compliant and has a handicap option that is configurable. Email me at the address above if you have any questions.

Tim Rawerts

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - Ertzware LLC

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

With only one trap and variable handicap yardages you'll have to figure out who gets to shoot handicap "first". Even with the usual 2 yard stagger you might have difficulty building squads. Remember you're dealing with a bunch of frustrated perfectionists. Maybe a semi-fixed handicap yardage (20-22?).

I admire your courage for trying it and the shooters are lucky to have a place that tries to help them improve. Good luck.

7. running bear

running bear Member

WIC

Send me an E-mail and I'll send you what we use.

Buck

8. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for everything received so far.

9. wlc

wlc Member

Anyone else? I was hoping to get some ideas on how to establish a handicap (such as 80% of differfence between average and perfect?) I'm not sure how many shooters to expect and probably won't purchase software to handle scores.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap league formats