1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRAP IS ON THE DECLINE MORE THAN EVER BEFORE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zap, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zap

zap TS Member

Sadly the sport of trap shooting is working its way to the end of the line. I have shot since the mid 60's and its always been a struggle to get full fields and new clubs up and running. Sadly there are folks that are of the opinion that unless they have a high end gun and tons of monry its just not worth the effort. When these folks consider the cost of the guns , ammunition at rediculous prices , the coust to go to a shoot for a weekend, (gas, food, drinks, etc.) and to via for a chincey buckle, whats the motivation??.

trap clubs that are in it to make a proffit are kidding themselves.

consider this, on average, (average mind you) someone spends at least 1500 at a minimum for a gun, it may or may not be able to shoot doubles etc.

they travel to a club holding a shoot (fewer every day) either stay in their r/v$$$$ or get a hotel room. Either spent the money for a reloader and all necessary components to load or, pay the silly prices per flat for shells.

then pay the relatively high entry fees for a weekend shoot, eat, drink, play some options etc. all to try to win a 20.00 buckle ???

face it trap shooting is very expensive to do if you want to be competitive and attend numerous shoots.

Its sad but I see no way to reduce the costs other than to have spec classes where you can only shoot a specific model gun under a specific price.

club to provide shells at near cost, better rewards as in really nice trophys or cash??

after the spec classes as to types of guns, there should be a professional class where those that think they can win pay a significant premium to shoot and shoot for serious dollars.

further i see no reason a club should not charge a nominal fee for spectators to watch. an insignificant amount but bolsters the clubs funds and if you think about it lends a little more stature to the sport.there could be several spec classes where people for the most part shoot out of the box guns of various values. at the end of the day there could be a shoot off between all the various shooters but they wopuld still have won their respective class .

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That cheap hooch will get you every time.

3. zap

zap TS Member

If you consider jack daniels cheep" then i guess your right!!!!

4. zap

zap TS Member

OK WHO RESPONDED??? BOB, DAN, DEAN, GEORGE, SKIP, I KNOW ITS ONE OF YOU HEE HEE

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Nitro. Glad to see you have not burned thru all your endorphins. They do replentish once the hangover subsides... Adn Oh, that Jack Daniels thing... pour me one will ya?

Yocko

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Unfortunately, intelligent posting is on the decline, too.

Maybe there should be a "small fee" for people to initiate a new thread?

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Everything costing money is down. I myself eventhough I only been shooting trap 4 years now. Had to drop out of the winter league. Building up my budget for ATA 2009. Which at this point looks like 10 or 12 events. No big either. The MA state shoot, maybe if it works out the NH state shoot?

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sorry, title is incorrect. Trapshooting declined severely in 1942.

HM

9. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

The Depression was arguably the worst shock that shotgunning ever took, but we survived. It may get expensive, but it will come back around. Here's how it works: It gets expensive, that means exclusive, that means the wealthy and the famous will do it, that will expand its popularity, that will bring more people in, that will spur people to find cheaper ways of participating, so prices come down again...and the wheel goes full circle. The only things that worry me are land prices, lead-pollution issues and noise-averse neighbors. In Europe many clubs are now restricted to sub-sonic loads - and, of course, paper/fiber shot wads.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

After being around shooting almost 50 years my ears tell me all my loads are currently sub-sonic. I just gave away the last of my many boxes of card and filler wads-silly me. Now we'll finally get a chance to see Harlan and Kay up at the 24yd. line with those 65% patterning K-guns. Sir Neil will be forced to shoot thousands of new patterns with his four test barrels using the newly re-introduced Federal Monarch paper shotshells.

I suppose I'll have to buy back a few boxes of those paper wads and experiment with my Spolar. If that doesn't work I'll search for a good used Pacific DL-155 I know worked well in the 60's!!

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In this economy I feel poor.. I did not renue my memberships at any shotgun club. I took out a 6 month membership at a reasonably close pistol range.. I shoot once a week.. $20.00 for the day.. range fee and my reloads included.. It will have to do for now..

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Trap is down and on a slippery slope; skeet is on life support; sporting clays is up. Just hang on...take it a day at a time; be thankful for good health and living in the U.S. (the rest of the world doesn't...yet); it will soon be over. Regards, Ed

13. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Someone needs to read the article that was published in the Dayton Daily news just before the first of the year. The article says that in the Ohio valley area and surrounding atates, shooting is up 9% overall. I don't have the article anymore it was sent to me by a customer. If he sees this responce maybe he can reprint the article here.

Dennis DeVault

14. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

Maybe trap is on the decline because of all the negative comments that trapshooters seem so good at producing...what sport or hobby is still operating at the same price structures of twenty years ago? Aguy comes out to a club and many times all he hears is complaining. Trap is too expensive...targets are to wide...targets too low...too high...the pros always win... and on and on.. just a thought... Dave

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Most activities are on the decline. Shooting, hunting, fishing, golfing, tennis, camping, swimming. The baby boomers are aging. Our numbers are starting to dwindle. The new Americans, Mexicans and the younger generation have different interests. The only activities that are growing are television viewing, video games and eating out. All require people to do very little to get involved and require sitting on your butt. You should be content that you still have some place to go and enjoy shooting with the people that show up. Shooting is as much fun for those who participate as it ever was.

16. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Our winter league is holding it's own, actually, I think we are up slightly from last year. This year's registered season will be interesting. If fuel and projected ammunition cost declines come into play, I think we will see more registered targets shot here. The scary unknown is how the economy will or won't perform. People who have little or no disposable income can't afford to shoot or do much of anything.

My golfing friends tell me that a lot of the golf clubs around are suffering significant declines in membership. Perhaps we need to be looking at "being the alternative" to golf.

I would have quit shooting years ago if all I wanted was to win money and trophies. Frankly, I think the vast majority of shooters enjoy the activity and the socializing. I think we need to take a hard look at some of the demographics of the shooters we are loosing. Personally, I just like to shoot and talk. As long as I have a job and adequate income, I will shoot. I won't stop shooting to do something else. Bill Malcolm

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I just heard that teenagers spend an average of 31 hours a week on the internet. Couple that with the same or more hours spent a week watching television and they have little free time for anything else. It appears that they are going to be an even more worthless generation than the baby boomers.

18. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

baby boomers worthless???????????? WTF WAS THAT ABOUT???,,,,,

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I see the baby boomers as very selfish, greedy, and spoiled rotten. It wasn't the WWII generation that has brought America to where we are today. It was us. We were given everything and look what we have done with it. Clinton was the first Baby Boomer president. Now we have Obama.

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Is it a Rolls-Canardley? Rolls down one hill, Canardley make it up the next.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.