1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap is like a box of chocolates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dickgshot, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When discussing the differences between sporting clays and trap, the three
    things people focus on are:

Sporting clay targets are exciting; trap targets are boring.

Sporting clay courses are more physically demanding; trap fields involve no
    exercise at all.

Sporting clays is more social. Shooters talk to each during the round. Trap
    shooters don't talk at all during a round.

Whichever sport you prefer, none of the above is true.

Generally in sporting clays, you will shoot 8 targets at a station (4 pair) that are identical and which you get to see beforehand. The trick is to repeat the exact same shots 4 times in a row. Bill McGuire explains in his video that he picks out some object in the backround as his break point, and waits for the target to get to that spot. Try doing that in singles or handicap.

Sporting clays courses are more physically demanding. Yes, they are IF you
    walk the course. Nowadays, everybody hops in a golf cart, and rides around the
    course. At least in trap you walk somewhere - even if it's only from station to station and field to field.

Sporting clays is more social. Yes, with the four other guys you're squadded with. Once you get on the course, you won't see the other shooters
    for most of the day - if at all. There's a lot more socializing at a trap shoot.

Trap has the advantage of a shooter knowing that on a good day, he could break 100 and beat even the best shooter there. In sporting clays, an average
    shooter on the best day of his life won't even come close to a Bill McGuire.

It's not the cost, because a day of singles, doubles, and handicap still cost
    more than a day of sporting clays. It's what I've said above - and the excitment of trap because trap targets are like a box of chocolates..

You never know what you're going to get.

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

We will if we can ever get to a 1-hole trap configuration instead of the challenges of 2-hole setups. Good scores await those who persevere. Regards, Ed

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Very well put Dickgtax. On the social side, I've shot with some snobbie a** shooters in both games and many times in sporting you end up with your competition being your scorekeeper. All in all whatever trips your trigger we should all respect each others shooting games, we hang together or surely hang separately.

4. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Good post Dickgtax. The other thing I would add about sporting clays is that the amount of luck that goes into a round. The really difficult stations seem to me to be more about luck than skill. IMHO, with my limited experience, is that a SC shoot should be set up that a 100 straight is feasible. Heck, at their nationals, they should have at least a handful of guys popping a hundo every once in a while (READ: not a bunch of them doing it all the time). When your best shooters are hovering between the mid 80s to mid 90s, that strikes me that some shots are leaning a lot more towards luck than skill.

I really like: "Trap has the advantage of a shooter knowing that on a good day, he could break 100 and beat even the best shooter there. In sporting clays, an average shooter on the best day of his life won't even come close to a Bill McGuire." Very true.

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I don't think shooting high scores in SC has anything to do with luck. How do you figure luck has anything to do with obtaining decent scores in SC?

Bryan

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

He should ask Digweed how much luck is involved!!

7. Dickgshot

"How do you figure luck has anything to do with obtaining decent scores in SC?"

In Digweed's case, he had to be lucky to be born with all that talent.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Yes, Sporting takes no skill, is not social, and yes all ride in carts, and yes never a chance to beat the top guns because the top guns carry special lucky rabbit foots at all the shoots they attend.

Any of the posters here the same ones demanding a professional class in trap and demand that targets be set at exact speeds and same heights on all fields, and god forbid if they receive a slow pull.

9. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I apologize - in re-reading my post, I didn't express my thought very clearly. When I get back to a computer, I will clarify. Suffice it to say, I didn't mean to say that you had to be lucky to be good in SC. Will elaborate later.

10. Dickgshot

Joe,
    That's unusually acerbic for you. What prompted all that sarcasm? Bad hair day?

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

F F F FOREST!

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Are there any AAA27AA trap shooters that are Master class sporting too?

I do know at least one AAA27AA that is A class in sporting.

13. Beni

Beni Member

Clays is more social on the course,you sure cant raz a trap shooter for missing a pair or missing the first target out. I must shoot slum clays there aint no golf cart rides on the 8 or so courses or clubs in my area. cant really compare the two games to each other. MHO beni

14. Dickgshot

The percentage of sporting clays shooters in Master class is much higher than
    the percentage of trap shooters who are AAA27AA. Becoming a Master class sporting clays shooter is dependent on acquiring enough "punches" by shooting a lot of tournaments, and once attained, a shooter can refuse any reduction to a lower class. A high average in trap doesn't benefit from a higher number of shoots.
    A better comparison would be the number of Master class sporting clay shooters who are on the 27 yard line in trap.

15. Setterman

So, how many Master Class SC guys are 27 yarders? Maybe I should start another thread?

16. Setterman

dickgtax, I will bet one thing....there are more Class B SC shooters that are AAA27AA, than AAA27AA shooters that are Master class or AA Class shooters.

Think about it.

17. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Rich Bullard Jr. was/is a Master in SC & I think Ray Stafford is AA in SC. John

18. Dickgshot

Nope Setterman, you're wrong. A AAA trap shooter joining the NSCA would automatically be assigned a classification of one class lower than his ATA class, which I believe would be A, since there is no AAA class per se in sporting clays.

19. Setterman

Scoutman 06, Couldn't find Bullard. Stafford hasn't shot registered targets since 2009, and that was probably a Classification by "known ability".

20. Dickgshot

The NSCA has a member lookup by name, just like the ATA. Go to MYNSCA.com, Shooter Information - Member Look-Up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chocolates for trap shooters