Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap in New England

6K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  arend003 
#1 ·
Having moved to Vermont does anyone shot trap year round out here? Have searched the clubs to no avail and my wife and I would love to shoot as well as find a house close to shooting. HELP!
Tom A.

#6 ·
Currently Doug I am in PIttsford neither Mendon nor Proctor shoot trap any more, I know Hale MT sportsman club does until it snows in Shaftsbury and there are some over in NY. But I am also looking to buy a house near a club that shots all year. Have been looking in South West NH and around Arlington, Shaftsbury in Vermont. Back in MN well Wisc. were we used to shoot we did so all year but out here i the east it seems trap is almost nonexistent. Have considered moving back to Wisconsin but we and all our things are here now so if I can find a club and then a house would be great. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated Vermont or New Hampshire being preferred.
Tom

#9 ·
There are no clubs in Vermont throwing registered targets in the winter months. The only club of which I am aware that stays open for the winter is Underhill. (or at least they used to, I'm not current with their operation). I do not believe they have a website. You can find basic info about them at www.losttarget.com, and e-mail that sites' administrator, Joe Potosky, for further info.

Montpelier Gun Club is the only other club throwing registered targets in the warm months. We are open from about mid April through mid-late October. We are also the host club for the Vermont State Shoot, held in mid June.

E-mail me directly if you wish. Hope this helps. Welcome to Vermont.

Regards,

Don Whiton

Montpelier Gun Club

#11 ·
Tom,

My club is in SW NH (Peterborough Sportsmen's Club with 2 traps) just off Route 101 18 miles east of Keene amd 20 Miles west of Milford. For the last several years we have hosted 6 registered dates per year. Cheshire County F&G Club in Keene, NH is also a two trap club, but has not thrown any registered birds in the last year or two. Brattleboro in SE VT is a one trap facility. These three culbs comprise the hosts of the winter league in the area. There is regular practice at all three clubs. P'b'ro also has a skeet field.

Royalston F&G in S. Royalston, Mass (8 traps) is only a short drive from both P'b'ro and Keene and is very active with registered shooting in the summer.

Doug

#12 ·
Another vote for www.pvfga.com

Trap is finished for this year, will resume in the Spring. No registered targets, just a good group of fun people who shoot every Friday, starting at 4.

Grafton County F & G is another place. Located in W. Lebanon, NH on Trues Brook Road. Nice fields (2), unsure of their schedule.

Bruce
KB1IIX@ARRL.net

#13 ·
This area unfortunately is a vast wasteland of trap, skeet, and sporting clays inactivity. I've lived here for 8 years, and am moving back to western New York in the spring. The Rochester area has 38 gun clubs within a 1.5 hour drive, and no less than 10 winter and summer leagues, plus registered shoots almost every weekend beginning in April. The New York State homegrounds in Cicero are one of the best venues in the country, and they host 4 major ATA shoots during the year. If you are committed to New England, then good luck. If not, you might check out the Finger Lakes area of New York as a place to hang your hat.

Mike

#15 ·
Tom,

Scarborough Fish & Game Club in Scarborough Maine has a Winter League.
It is non-registered but a very good time none the less. The league would require you to attend just one shooting day per month.

We are open on Thursday evenings from 4 PM until 8 PM and on Saturday & Sunday from 9 AM until 2 PM.

Many of the Vermont shooters manage to attend our regular registered shoots. The drive time is not prohibitive.

Click on the website url above to see the program.

If you would like to contact me directly please do so at joehall@fairpoint.net

#19 ·
arend003, do what I did when I built my shop. Watch the classifies and other things and you can find blocks to build a trap house for little to nothing. Buy the things you need for a roof when the come on sale or again in the paper. Dig the foundation and where the building will be by yourself. Do the same with your stations. Cement co always have some left over in their truck after they pour someplace. They need to get rid of it. Have them bring it to your place for the stations. In the past it was free. It could be built for less then you think.

#20 ·
Keeping the clubs open all winter is very expensive (plowing and heat,ect) and we don't have the number of shooters to make it viable. Thats why most close in the winter. The following are the clubs that try to shoot through the winter in southeastern Vermont and southwestern New Hampshire. Chester, Vermont(1 trap,1 Skeet), Charlestown, NH. (1 trap very limited), Brattleboro, VT(1 trap), Cushings Trap Range, Surry NH.(2 traps), Cheshire County, Keene, NH. (2 traps), Peterborough Sportsmans, NH.(2 traps). Ludlow Vermont is a great club but they get way too much snow to keep it open during the winter. With all these clubs and a little planning and travel you can get in as much winter shooting as you want, depending on the weather. Bill

#22 ·
I can agree that in certain areas of northern New England, finding clubs that shoot in the winter can be tough. But here in central Massachusetts, there are over sixty clubs within a fifty mile radius of my town that offer trap shooting to the public and most of them are open, to some extent, during the winter. Outside of eastern Massachusetts (the liberal zone), most towns have a sportsmen's club and some have more than one.

LA in MA

#23 ·
Go to Florida for the winter. there's a place for sale on this site for $12,000 at the Silver Dollar.

Or move back to wisconsin as we have hundreds of shoots all winter long. There are three separate 30 bird shoots held at a total 15 clubs all winter long.

http:www.eastwisconsinshotgunsports.org

#24 ·
Have you survived a Vermont winter yet? You may decide trapshooting is a summer-time sport by spring! I operate a trap range in extreme northern VT and am glad we close down for the winter. Lots of work keeping a range going and it only gets harder in the winter. Lots of shooters defect to sitting by the wood stove, hunting, sking, snowmobiling, etc. This is not the state to live in if trap is your number one priority. I welcome you to the Vermont shooting scene and wish you the best with your shooting. Roger

#25 ·
The Chester Gun Club is about a friendly as any club I have ever been to. I have a place near there, when I was teaching my god daughter to shoot with a little planing I would have the place to myself with her. They would open it up, and let us have free range of the skeet or trap range. I in return loaded up the traps when done and left them with boxes of targets topped with a nice check. This was sometime ago, but on the way home I always make it a point to stop by if the skeet or trap field is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.