1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap houses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RVT, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RVT

RVT TS Member

Our club is basically a skeet club, however when we purchased our present property it had 5 trap fields on it. We have put machines in 2 of them, which leads to my question. We are a member owned and member run club and as we all know, most of the membership at any shotgun facility can't be considered young any more. Our problem is the difficulty in getting in to the house to load targets. Has anyone developed a better entry? We feel shotgun sports is all about throwing targets, but it is hard for us to promote the trap fields because difficulty in getting in and out of the trap house. None of us have ever been serious trap shooters and simply haven't been around a lot different trap clubs. Hiring young help is out of the question, while we have a nice facility we try to keep the costs to a bare minimum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tj303

tj303 Member

Roofs that are on rollers are a great help. I have used them but don't know how to build them.

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Our trap house is poured concrete including the roof. The front is covered by a lightweight metal panel. We are looking at cutting a portion of the front wall out and pouring a set of concrete steps. They would be covered by a cellar door type of cover that would be over lapped by the orginal door to keep the water out. The ground in front of the trap is low enough to allow all of this. Even the high schoolers that we have shooting on Wednesday night have a time getting in and out to load the machine. There are some good photos on here that show the roller roof. It is under 'trap house forms for sale'. A club has their concrete forms for sale and they show the finished houses with a roller roof. Looks pretty simple to do if you have a wooden frame roof.

4. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

where I shot the people who built the houses dug out enough dirt to have a door on one side. Another club Made the their house wide enough so they had two doors that went from roof to ground level. Easy to walk in and easy to sweep out. As for crawling in HELL NO, I'm one of those lazy people who just wants to walk in and not get dirty.

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

RVT, I just did a search. Type in 'concrete forms' it will take a little bit but the post came up it was posted by capnrico on 26 oct 07 there are very good photos of their roller roof. Looks like they used unistrut and associated rollers for the tracks to me. Good luck, I hope this helps. Bill

6. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Check this posting out.

F/S Concrete Forms for Trap Houses

I ran it back up to the top for you.

This is how we dealt with that same issue.

7. RVT

RVT TS Member

Thanks for the help. The rolling roof would be great if we were building them from scratch, but our existing houses have block walls and a concrete roof.

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bust up and remove the concrete roofs and install the rolling roofs OR those roofs that spring open[split in the center}.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why don't you recruit some younger members? That is what you should be doing instead of sitting on you fat butts wondering how you can get them into the traphouse.

10. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Another option is to saw-cut the concrete roof out and have a new roof fabricated in 12 gauge steel. If you have block walls with a concrete roof, chances are the concrete was also poured in the block webbing. If you try to brake the slab out you will more than likely fracture the block walls.

We had the same problems you have snd convinced the membership to let us build new improved trap houses. Now instead of one guy having to crawl on his belly like a reptile, up to 3 guys can load the traps. And instead of one guy being singled out as a loader, everyone helps because of the ease of getting in to load them. You can also comfortably service and repair them.

One club I visit has 12 ga. steel roofs that slide back and they are very low profile after retro fit.

Money doesn't mean a thing is the rescue squad has to peel a member out of a trap because he has a heart attack crawling into a trap house. Prospective new members may shun when they see older guys trying to climb in and out to load them too.

Why make it difficult on yourselves anyways?

11. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

The front opening on your houses hinges at the bottom. Rent a large enough forklift and from the front with the door open and down, lift off the concrete roofs you have. They were placed there more than likely in the same method. Now build some roll back roofs from metal that will overlap the outside walls.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the door on the side trick is good, I worked on traps for a club that had the houses on the brink of a hill. their traphouses were fully exposed in front due to the hill and a little landscaping. they had a regular storm door to enter.

You could dig a ramp or steps to make like a cellar aentrance, as long as you take care of the water problem.

If we didn't have people loading here I would suggest it.

HM

13. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Concrete steps, and sump pumps.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The fix is either slide-back or roofs that are hinged so they can be lifted from the front or perhaps one side. The flaw you'll need to deal with is removing the existing concrete roofs by whatever means. You could hire one kid always responsible for setting up the voice calls, loading traps, and putting gear away at the end of the day too....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

You are right Bob. If these guys are too old and fat to get in a trap house, they are too old and fat to replace the concrete roofs. Hire a trap kid. It will be a lot cheaper than hiring a contractor and it sounds like they just need a short term solution anyway.

16. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Bob's right or let the kid shoot for free, might be an option. GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.