1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap houses on different levels - same range

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tjcutter, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Our club currently has one very nice trap range built to ATA specs. We would like to expand and add another house so that we could have some registered shoots. The problem is there is a considerable drop in the terrain beyond the existing house. This would mean that the second house would be considerably lower than the first. My question is, would people not like this and stay away because of it. My personal feeling is, once your on the line if everything is laid out to specs, I don't think it would bother me. Just looking for some opinions or ideas before we proceed.

Thanks
    Tom

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shoot at a club that throws many 10's of thousands of registered birds each year, it has three fields and each is at a different level, no problem with the normal trap shooter, I'm sure there are a few who won't shoot there but for the majority of us it's just fine.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

glsc

"My question is, would people not like this and stay away because of it."

I don't go to a club because the fields are perfect or not I go because of the way the club conducts a shoot. Besides if you get 20 shooters that come to shoot ATA targets that would be 20 more than you are getting now!!!!!

Bob Lawless

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot at several clubs where the trap fields are at different levels. Management tries very hard to maintain fairness by arranging the sub-events so that each shooter must shoot at the various backgrounds and Not pick and choose only the best fields. In some cases this means that the 50 targets from the same bank system can not be used.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If they don't like it they are not trapshooter but wantabe's. Build your field and be happy that you have two fields. Look at the Penn State Shoot. Where the club house fields are you are shooting down on to the lower fields. You will not hit them but they are down range and you see them. Funny as hell but you get use to it.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Sounds like another "excuse" for poor shooting. The fields aren't level!!!

Won't make any difference to those folks that have a brain.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Tom, You have hit the nail right on target. The key is to build it to the correct specs which from what you have said will make it identical to the new one you've just completed. As long as the roof is the 30" above or whatever you already have existing on your field you will be fine. The shooter will then have the same hold points and gun movement from field to field. We put in 14 fields over varying terrain and background, but whatever works for you on field 1 will work anywhere else on the line. Good luck it's good to hear of fields being built rather than closed. Bob

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- How much is considerably lower, 10 feet-30 feet? How much distance would be required between the new trap and the old trap ? Shooters would not like a steep climb of 80 feet. They will come and shoot but might not like the lower trap. But, I have observed that at any club, some shooters shooters do not seem to like the last trap on the line. I have seen this at clubs with two traps and 100 traps. It is not uncommon for clubs with less than level terrain to make special provisions for chair shooters and other shooters with serious mobility problems.

Pat Ireland

9. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Pat,

I think we are looking at a difference of about 8 to 10 feet. Thanks for the positive responses. I think from what I am hearing we should "build it and they will come"

Tom Jeffreys

10. 3357

3357 Member

You throw a legal target and I will be glad to shoot at your club.

Every club I shoot at is a little differant anyway.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Georgia State Shoot hilly or just sorta hilly? If the traphouse is within spec with the pads, most would never notice. I thought the houses at Sparta were too high, but their not. Build them to specs and shoot!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- Eight to 10 feet should not be a problem. I will bet you a Diet Coke that if you set the targets exactly the same on all traps, someone will believe the targets an the lower trap are lower. Trapshooters do that sort of thing.

Pat Ireland

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

There's a drop between some fields at Linn Creek that's a little strange when you first shoot there, but the most noticeable hiccup is a uphill or downhill slant between post 1 and post 5 on a few fields. It makes you feel like your getting taller or shorter...lol

I didn't hear anyone complain, but it's strange.

TNCoach

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

One of the local clubs I shoot at has 2 fields fairly close togeter, one of which is prob'ly 6 feet higher than the other, not a problem.

miketmx, I'll bet one of the clubs you're referring to is Missoula, MT? State shoot is held there every fourth year.......16 traps, the line slopes down a lot to the northwest. They shoot 25 per trap & skip a trap between, alternate east v west between events so everyone spends some time down in "death valley". You walk downhill between traps and they keep a shuttle running to give you a ride back up the hill when you're done.

John C. Saubak

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

TNCoach- A difference in level between posts 1 and 5 is a problem. If post 1 is two feet higher than post five, the targets will be two feet higher on post five compared to post one. Decreasing the level of the shooting pad is the same thing as raising the targets.

Pat Ireland

16. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

If your shooters are not coming because the traphouses are not the same levelness across the line, the shooters complaining have not shot much and said response is an excuse rather than a concern.

A good majority of trapfields across America are on a slide. Reasoning being is ground has little agriculture value other than throwing critters on it. As such, many traplines were established on these hill top slopes.

17. hoser

hoser Member

Doniphan in Nebraska has a field where post 1 is about 10-12" lower than post 5. About 2/3 down the line. Shot some of my best scores on that field!

Hoser

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

Look at the layout at Sagehill in Reno. It is terraced on the side of a hill and is one of the nicer clubs to shoot at.

19. missemucho

missemucho Member

Pat: Re the change in elevation at Linn Creek: I have it on good authority that the Missouri boys only put yankees on those traps!
    John

20. Damifino

Damifino Member

One of the reasons we love shooting the GA and AL State shoots is because of the different look. The fields are legal and (as far as I know) meet the spec. Everyone there is shooting (nearly) the same background and conditions, it's a fair competition.

I suppose if you are shooting to protect your average then you should probably limit your shooting to 68-76 degree temperature and less than 6 mph winds - but that's fodder for another thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.