1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap house design question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Klay_Buster, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Trying to find the allowable front roof overhang specification.
    Any help out their ?

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

that's a good question. i don't think it would matter on the high house. but you know that any overhang on the low house is gonna' get shot.

3. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Trap house please, Not Skeet houses.
    This is a Trap forum. Thanks.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

The roof height is determined some what but the correct positioning height of the trap machine throwing arm platform. No matter it always seams that the roof is never high enough to allow easy loading.

1. Length not less than 7 feet, 6 inches, nor more than 9 feet, 6 inches.

2. Width not less than 7 feet, 6 inches, nor more than 9 feet, 6 inches.

3. Height not less than 2 feet, 2 inches, nor more than 3 feet, 0 inches, the height to be measured from the plane of the number 3 shooting position.

It is recommended that the throwing surface (throwing arm or plate) of the trap machine be on the same level as that of Post 3 and the target height setting pad.

Basically as tall as allowed for easy of loading. Ans as low as possible from the shooting stand point.

I know of no limits on the overhang as long as the house does not exceed 9'6" x 9'6".

Rock

Jim

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Overhang as much as you like as long as the overall length does not exceed 9' 6"

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>New Page 3</title>
    </head>

<body>

<blockquote>

B. TRAPHOUSES

Traphouses
    must adequately protect the trap loaders and shall not be higher than
    necessary for that purpose. It is recommended that traphouses constructed
    after September 1, 2003 shall conform to the following specifications:

Length not less than 7 feet, 6 inches, nor more than 9 feet, 6 inches.

Width not less than 7 feet, 6 inches, nor more than 9 feet, 6 inches.

Height not less than 2 feet, 2 inches, nor more than 3 feet, 0 inches, the
    height to be measured from the plane of the number 3 shooting position.

</blockquote>

It is recommended that
    the throwing surface (throwing arm or plate) of the trap machine be on the same
    level as that of Post 3 and the target height setting pad.

</body>

</html>

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The "overhang" is the part of the roof that projects beyond the walls. I'm not sure why you are considering an overhang? Would your overhang be on all 4 sides? I would assume since the largest house can be 9'-6" x 9'-6", a 1' overhang would force you to keep the house at 8'-6" x 8'-6". Any larger than that would make the house look large and the angle birds would appear to exit at an unatural angle, or atleast a "deceiving" angle.

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

We have about 4 in on all of our traps. Since we have some snow here in MT, it makes it nice for keeping the ice off the locks. Shouldn't need to lock trap houses, but we do.

Rick in MT

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

Does point 'b' come into play here? I believe Point 'b' is supposed to be 1'-6" or 2'-6" from the front of the house (either, or it's not a range.)

to clarify what I'm thinking - your Point 'b' is already established assuming you've poured your trap fans - i.e. it's 16 yd's from the front edge of your fan to point 'b'. IF your house is situated such that point 'b' would be 1'-6" from the front of the house, then I'd think you could have a 12" overhang making point 'b' 2'-6" off of the front edge of the roof line. If your point 'b' is already 2'-6" behind the front of the house, I'd think an overhang may be an issue. (also presuming you meet the overall dimensions noted above)

john

9. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. All with correct information.
    My concern is that our building guy wants 4 inches of overhang on the top front
    of the trap house. If one measures from point B to the front of the front wall, and it's 1'6". Then with 4" overhang the point B to the front edge of the roof becomes 1'10". Question: Is this in violation of the ATA rules for trap house design. I notine one poster had 4" overhang to avoid snow and ice.
    Ours would be for the same reason. The house is within the overall dimentions with the added 4" overhang. Looking for some expet help.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think you guys are overanalyzing it. Don't worry about the overhang when considering Point B, use the wall of the house (just make sure targets clear the overhang). And, yes, the book does say 1'6" OR 2'6", but I think you have to understand that is a range, machine placement is not an exact science.

11. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

David,

I'm excited that you're asking this question and anticipate that there may be a reason to rejoice somewhere in the future. Fill me in when I see you at Sunnyvale this weekend.

Regards, Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata trap house dimensions
ata trap house plans
ata trap house specifications
ata trap house specs
design for a trap shooting house

trap house design

trap house plans

trap house specifications