1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap guns vs Field guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chadshot, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Ive got a Beretta AL 391 Urika field gun that my boy is using for first year in trap.

What is the difference between it and the trap model? Not including higher POI.

Also what is difference in an O/U between field and trap guns, not including POI.

Thanks
    Chad

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

P.O.I. is the only real difference. Field guns generally shoot
    a 50/50 pattern. Trap guns are usually 60/40 or higher P.O.I.
    Trap guns may have a palm swell that is not available on most
    field guns. Then there's adjustable comb's and rib's that are
    standard on many trap guns.

3. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Stock comb dimensions determine POI. Some guns will have a center bead on the rib on target guns. All trap guns have a higher comb than field guns, adjustable comb or not.

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

About $800-1000.....

5. bevolt

bevolt Member

My 391 parallel trap has a monte-carlo comb, the grip is larger and has a sharper angle and the rib is about 1/8" higher and wider making the gun a bit more barrel heavy than my field 391. Also, if I test fire it on a shooting bench and sight down the rib with the beads stacked, the point of impact is very close to the point of aim (within 1.2" at 25yds). That is, the barrel does not shoot high by factory design.

6. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I found a place that has barrels for 391 that are Beretta factory trap barrels. To me it looks like spending 500 for new barrel is better than $1500 for new gun if not much is different. Any more input on this??

Thanks
    Chad

7. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

A sporting gun is typically made to be built better. withstand more shells down the barrel.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Chad,

As stated above, the POI is the main difference. To go from a field gun to a trap gun, you would need to change the stock to a trap stock. That is more crucial than the barrel.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

what grntitan said. It ain't the barrel.....it's the stock. Spend $300 on a trap stock.

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Bowhunter, I think you have that backwards.

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Buy a trap stock for his LOP.

12. bevolt

bevolt Member

A 391 parallel trap stock will not work on a field gun without lowering the comb using the spacers or by cutting it down. With the comb on the trap stock in the parallel position (i.e., using the 40/45 spacer), the comb is too high for a field barrel because the trap barrel has an elevated rib compared to the field barrel.

13. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

For what it's worth my 1100 3 inch mag has a Straight Trap Stock & I just change barrels from the Trap field to the Skeet field to hunting barrels & even slug barrel for Deer. So one gun can do it all & has.

14. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

The beads and rib on a trap gun line up to give a POI higher than a field gun. To accommodate this change, a trap stock has a higher comb. If the only different between a field gun and a trap gun was the comb, the shooter would get a different sight picture when switching from one to the other, i.e., there would be space between a trap gun's front bead and the mid-bead if all trap guns were just field guns with a higher comb. Clearly that is not the case.

While different guns have different set-ups (and thus there may be some exceptions to the foregoing), in most trap guns the higher POI is achieved by a change in the angle between the rib and the bore of the barrel.

Recently I had a Beretta SO3 (a field gun) restocked, with the request that the new stock duplicate the stock on my trap gun in all respects. The stock maker (Wenig) did exactly as I asked, and I found that, although the new stock fit me perfectly, when using the Beretta to shoot trap (aligning the beads exactly as I do with my regular trap gun) I had to point the gun significantly higher (i.e. completely cover the target) in order to hit it. Thus clearly the Beretta field gun shoots lower ("flatter") than my trap gun. I have had the same experience with other field guns - they shoot lower, even with the beads lined up just as I do with my trap guns.

As to the concept that field guns are of a higher quality than trap guns, I'm afraid that is complete nonsense. There is no difference in quality between a Citori trap gun and a Citori field gun, with the possible exception of the wood and engraving. The mechanicals of the two guns (particularly the receiver) are exactly the same. You will find the same situation when comparing Beretta field guns with Beretta trap guns of the same model, as is also the case with Perazzis. The receivers are the same. There may be a difference in the quality of the wood or engraving (which will be reflected in the price) but not in the mechanical build quality of the guns.

In suggesting that field guns are of a higher quality than trap guns, someone may be swayed bv the fact that there seem to be many more very expensive field guns around than trap guns. This just reflects the fact that very high-end gun buyers prefer guns suited to game, and they pay up for the engraving on their guns. But these highly engraved guns are not higher quality or better shooters than the same guns with less engraving, they are just more elaborate. They do not last longer, shoot straighter or give less problems than their lesser-engraved siblings.

Ted K.

15. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Thanks for the info, he is really enjoying shooting for his first year. His 2 high scores have been 34 and 38 out 50. After this year we will look into a different gun, not sure what though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta o u field vs target
difference between a trap and field gun
difference between trap gun and field gun
how should the beads line up when i shoot trap with a new 1100 fieldmgun

trap gun vs field gun

trap shoot gun field shoot gun what is the difference

trap vs field

what is the difference between a field gun and a trap gun