1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap gun recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JLJ0422, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLJ0422

JLJ0422 TS Member

Birdhunter hooked on trap trouble is guns I Have a Beretta al391, win mod. 50 my ol pal. Any advise on barrel and or stock replacement.Both field guns 26' Barrel on Beretta,and 28mod,and26WS for the Win. Or am I in need of something diff? Joe D

2. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Joe,

You could get a different stock and barrel for the guns you have now...but sooner or later you're going to buy a real trap gun, so why not make it sooner?! It'll probably be the easiest route anyway. And no, you won't stop at one, either.

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If I were you I would get a nice BT-99, get it properly fitted with an adjustable comb & adj. butt pad & you will have purchased a great trap gun without breaking the bank.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Model 12 or Beretta 303-391 series in trap configuration to start.

5. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

When my daughter started shooting she had a 391 with a 26" barrel field gun. Everyone at the club said she would never be able to shoot it and it wouldn't break birds with a 26" barrel and a modified choke, she won the TN Ladies Championship in 05 with the gun. Wow just imagine if it had worked.

Point is shoot what you have for a while find what you like. She now shoots a Browning XT.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

Beretta A303 "Trap Special" with MC stock, 32" Mobil choked barrel & 3 chokes...

A few nicks and dings, the gun is not collector grade, the gun is a shooter, crushes clays...

$750.00 Packaged, shipped and insured, A Beretta Blue plastic case included.

Email if interested, more pictures available...

regards......Chuck

7. chuckles

chuckles Member

Another picture of above gun.....

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Three other guns to consider, just to add to the general confusion.

Since you have the 391, look at the 391 Parallel Target. Great gun that can be used for more than trap. You can get 42.5 shim, 40-45 trap shim, and 50-65 sporting/field shim for different configurations. Soft shooter also. $800 and up.

Remington 870TB. Many a clay have been broken with this gun. $400 and up, depending on condition.

Browning BPS Trap. The newer ones have a selector for single shot operation, and are easy to load for trap shooting. Around $500, although I stole one on a no reserve auction for $380 plus shipping.

Danny

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Come to think of it, that BPS in trap configuration is a wonderful value and quality seems second to none in that price range.

10. bird_buster

bird_buster TS Member

You have already gotten a good deal of good advice so why not add a bit more. Shooting moving targets is a ton of fun, and not always limited to singles trap. With that in mind if you choose to invest in a traget gun, I would reccomend you an O/U w/ 32"bbl. The BT-99 is a great gun, but you are limited to what you can do with it. Granted an O/U for trap will not be ideal for sporting clays, or skeet but you could use it to get your feet wet. If and when you decide to get serious about the competetive side of it, then you can look into a gun specific for trap. Best of luck smokin em'

Cheers,
    SMK

11. JLJ0422

JLJ0422 TS Member

Thanks to all reply very Helpful on my quest Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.