1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap gun Porting yes or no

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dnotarianni, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

I have a 28" barrel that I am using for trap and I was wondering if porting would be beneficial to me. Cost to port would be $0 as I can machine the holes in myself. What if any benefit does porting do for a trap gun?

Thanks Dave

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Porting is cool.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It loud and its hard to clean and you shoot pieces of wad through the holes a the shooter on each side of you.

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I would say no, noisy, dirty, detracts from gun's value, highly questionable it adds any shooting performance.

Dave Eberhart

5. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Mine came ported, but I wouldn't do it to one that wasn't, for all the reasons above..

Your milage may vary.

Larry

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Do a search for "porting" - this topic has been discussed numerous times.

Ed

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am not sure how effective porting is. My gun only has 16 ports. They are not loud and not hard to clean. I have put thousands of rounds through that gun and only had to clean them twice. It only takes a few seconds anyway. They are on the top of the barrel and maybe that is what keeps it quiet. Maybe they are ported away from the shooter. Never had any complaints from anybody shooting around me. I have heard loud porting before but with a lot more ports on both the over and the under barrel. Mine is an auto. They are cool looking. Maybe they do detract from the value of the gun but I think that would depend on any future buyer. Kind of like a swimming pool. Good if they want one, bad if they don't.

8. thunder

thunder Active Member

Angleporting is by far the best that I have had done to my guns. Seems to help the most on muzzle rise and is easy to clean. My opinion only.
    Andy

9. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

The only advantage of having a gun ported is for the folks that DO THE PORTING.

Period.

Showdawg

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

A single barrel trap gun does not benefit from porting. It is possible that an O/U might benefit from porting on the lower barrel when shooting doubles. It is also possible that Tron's Kitty could whip a tiger but not likely.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This guy is biased in favor of him doing your porting. But luckily for you he is dead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The cost would not be 0 . You just lowerd the value of your gun .

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Factory Browning and Pro-Ported barrels seemed "calmer". On other guns, I could not tell/feel any difference.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you port, keep the holes close to the top of the bbl as you can. Otherqise you will affect other shooters.

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Please port your barrel!

Everytime someone has a barrel ported, the value of my pristine unported barrels goes up. So please port away and do your buddies as well.

ss

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I doubt you would be able to notice a reduction in recoil or any other benefit that would make the project worthwhile. On the other hand porting isn't as nasty as some guys make it out to be. The ports aren't that hard to clean and the gun doesn't become horrendously loud.

My trap guns are ported but that wasn't a feature that I was looking for, it was just the way they came. Perhaps you could try a similar gun to yours that has porting and then decide if you see any benefits before modifying your gun.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ah yes...To Port or not to Port...??

Did ya ever wonder why the "Portside" is on the Left...and the the Starboard side is on the Right? The wording pretty much says it all!

Ben Franklin enjoyed Port, but from a decanted bottle..

Why did sailors use the term, "any Port in the storm"??

and then there's "Portage"..

Your question to yourself should be: Do I really need the barrel of my gun "Ported"?

I find it unnecessary for a number of reasons...

Curt

18. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

My plan was not to just put holes in the barrel but to match an existing pattern from a ported gun. That's the beauty of a digital milling machine. But given the reply's I believe I will leave it alone for now.
    Thanks
    Dave

19. Pirate

Pirate TS Member

I didn't think I would like ported barrels until I shot a friend's Citori 625 sporting gun. I was amazed how little recoil I felt and the noise level for the shooter was definitely less.

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Many of the best shooters and many gun manufacturers think they work. Can they all be wrong. Maybe, but I don't think so. But then again, look how many millions of people were fooled by global warming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best porting for trap
ported shotgun barrel for clay shooting
ported shotgun barrel trap
porting trap gun
shooting trap with ported barrels
shotgun ported barrel for trap

should i get porting on my gun

v portred trap shotgun