1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap gun point of impact

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crackshot, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crackshot

crackshot Member

I've been shooting trap since last December. I use a Rem 1100 skeet with a 30 in trap barrel and IM choke. I've been averaging 22-23 in practice. I would like to buy a used O/U. I have to cover the bird with the bead to break it. Do all advertised trap guns shoot high? I have passed up some nice sporting guns looking for a"trap" gun. I assume guns advertised a "sporting" are sporting clay guns. Thanks for any coments...Dave

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The design of the rib (taller at the breech, lower at the muzzle) and the stock (comb parallel to the rib) differentiate trap guns from sporting models and generally combine to insure that traps gun shoot higher than sporting gun. That is not to say that they shoot high enough, but they are all designed to shoot above their point-of-aim to some degree or other.

Morgan

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Dave, not all trap guns shoot high, even though it would be better if they all did as you are shooting at a rising target. If you have decided to begin looking at O/U "trap" guns you might want to consider a used Browning XT. If you can find one with an adjustable comb would be ideal. However, they are not made for everyone so you should try to shoot one before you buy it. You should try to shoot any trap gun before buying if at all possible. This is the simplest answer I can give you.

Good luck,
    Steve

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Do not and I repeat do not let the designator or "trap" or "skeet" or "sporting clay" determine what you purchase. You and only you can decide on which is best for you ... just because it says "trap" on the gun does not mean it will be the right gun for you.

There are far to many shooters out there who think that if they get this or that and a certain gun and barrel combination that they will smoke every target but once they get that gun they have to get an adjustable comb and an adjustable pad and then they have to do this or that and chances are they just might possibly have the wrong gun to begin with if they needed to do all that to it.

I had a fellow shooter tell me once that I had to get an adjustable comb and pad on my gun to make it fit me correctly if I wanted to shoot skeet/trap with it. I kind of chuckled a little bit as he explained exactly why I needed all the work done to my older 11/87 field gun. A couple of rounds later I mentioned to him that if I had gotten all that work done to my gun it would be worth more than my gun and maybe he should ask for a refund or such cause I was hammering his scores.

It aint the gun but it is the shooter ... just remember that. If you put a gun into your shoulder with your eyes closed and open your eyes once you have a good mount and see that your looking right down the barrel of the gun in a perfect site picture I would bet that would be the gun for you. You might find that since you are currently shooting a 1100 skeet that a true trap gun might be way off and goofy for you but a true sporting clay gun might actually feel right. Its all up to you though ... and it dont make a bit of difference if its a skeet, sporting clay or a trap gun as long as it feels right to you.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I second Lumper's comments.

I started trap shooting this summer with my 1100, my first scores were not good at all, I think it was a 6/25. I kept up with it and made it to the low 20's when I started looking for a "real" trap gun. I found a Browning XT I really liked, it felt more comfortable when I brought it to my shoulder, so I bought it. When I took it to the range, my scores were back down to the 10 - 12 range. The XT fits better, is easier to clean/maintain, and I really like it and I am back into the 20's with it, 24 being my best score to date.

Mike

6. crackshot

crackshot Member

Thanks again for your coments. I have shouldered about 30 guns in the last 2 weeks. I know what you are talking about finding one to fit. Most montecarlo stocks are too high for my fat head. My length of pull is 14 1/4. I'm going to look at a Browning Special Trap with 32 in. barrels and adjustable comb for $1300 tomorrow. I have been looking at XTs and Winchesters....Dave

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Shoot as many O/U you can get your hands on. I ended up with used XT with Americase for 1500.00. Absolutly love it. Did it shoot as high as I was believed it should no. Thank god it had adjustable comb, see i wanted A higher shooting gun than my 870. I was tired of covering the target, it took a little time to adjust to the XT but keeping the target in sight above the barrel works so much better for me. After shooting several O/U I leaned twards the XT then found a fellow shooter with one. He let me shoot it for a few weeks. cost me 1 case of STS shells, and if it breaks while im shooting I have to fix. I also like some of the beretta O/Us. The XT came at the right time right place right price.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you want to cut through the chase I have an MX-2000 combo, buy that and be done with it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. spritc

spritc Active Member

If you really want to cut to the chase find a Kolar that fits you. It will be the last trap gun you will ever need to buy. It may not be the last you want to buy, but it will be the you'll ever need.

Steve

p.s. I wouldn't pay too much attention to Lumphead, he's really a skeeter in a pink tu tu.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

I am not ... I prefer a nice mauve tu tu.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Lumper speaketh with wise tongue!

12. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

i absolutley agree with lumper it is the shooter not the gun. when i went from an 1100 to a citori combo (old one not the new ones) my scores dropped but now they are higher than ever. also my gun shoots really flat and when i shoot a straight away from station 3 from my yardage (27) if i can see the target when i pull the trigger i miss it so basically when i shoot it i see the target under the barrel it is kinda hard to explain. i know it is a wierd system but it works one time one of my friends told me that i shouldnt shoot like that and stard telling me exactly where i should se the target and where on the target i should put the bead to break it well we basically agreed to disagree and i went out and shot a 98 and he shot mid-low 80's he shut up after that.

All u have to do to break the target is put the proper amount of bbs in the target breaking area

Steven

13. IM390

IM390 Member

It's awfully hard to recommend a gun for you without seeing you shoot and watching the way you mount your gun. Mr. Little said you need to shoot a gun 5,000 times before really knowing it. That is a pretty good number in my experience. I bought a Ureka Optima Sporting three years ago, shooting 25 targets a week = 4,000 and now I have a good idea how the gun shoots. I've gone from a 92 average to 98! Beware of finding any gun that shoots perfectly as soon as you pick it up. If you really want an O/U, do it at a time when you can practice with it a lot.

14. crackshot

crackshot Member

I purchased a Citori Special Trap, 32", adjustable comb. The shop were I bought it(Jaqua's in Findlay,Oh) has about 20 traps. I shot a round and hit 22. I'm anxious to get a few rounds through it Sunday...Dave

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

From a bench, the POI should be the same no matter who is shooting the gun. But, on the line, one gun may shoot low for one person and high for another. The difference is a result of gun mount. The way one mounts his gun determines the position of the eye and the eye is the rear sight.

Too many of us have learned to look where the gun shoots rather than making the gun shoot where we look.

Pat Ireland

16. guncase

guncase TS Member

Dave,,, I wouldn't be as concerned that you broke 22 in your firt round of trap. More importantly,, do you honestly know WHY you missed the ones that got away?? I shoot very little practice,,but when I do I try to keep the same level of concentration that I have when shooting competetion.

Keep track of birds missed and try to read the list before shooting another practice. Know your mistakes, don't make them twice!! Honesty is a must! Paul

17. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

I have a question u can raise a POI as high as u want right but can you lower it? I know it wouldnt work fo much of any thing except shooting a burgular in the nuts when he thinks u r aming at his head. like field guns are 50/50 and trap guns are from 60/40 to 100% or more but could u make it 20/80 or -100%

thanx

Steven

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steven- You can lower the POI by lowering the comb or raising the front sight.

Pat Ireland

19. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

i know that what im asking is can u go lower than 50/50 to sa 20/80 or -100%

Thanx

Steven

20. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Steven,

I don't know nearly as much as Pat or many other people on this forum, but to move the comb to make the gun shoot that low, you probably won't be looking down the rib, but rather at the back of the reciever. I don't know why you would want a gun to do that, but that's probably what you would have to do. Unless you bent the barrel, of course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 trap designator

do most all-american trapshooters shoot a high point of impact

trap gun point of impact