1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Trap gun patterns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LarryBud, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryBud

LarryBud TS Member

What is the meaning of the following stats I have read on this forum:
    50-50
    60-40
    70-30

Is it determined by the way gun barrels are made or by setup of comb and user?
  2. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I'm new here, but I believe it represent the ratio of shot that is above and below the center line. So, a 50-50 pattern would be flat. 70-30 would mean that 70 percent of the shot is above the center line. I'm not positive if this is at 13 yards or 35 yards? Hopefully, someone will jump in a correct me.
  3. hmb

hmb Active Member

You can change the POI numbers by moving the comb up and down. But when describing a guns POI number it would be what it shoots when the beads are stacked. HMB
  4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Most patterns are done between 35-40 yards. Longer for handicap distances.

POI vs. POA is off a rest at 13 yards.

Using inches are a better way to describe your guns pattern. My gun shoots 9" high at 35 yards. Easy to understand.

Wayne
  5. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

POA is point of aim, POI is point of impact. Point of aim is of course where you aim the gun, and point of impact is where the gun shoots in comparison to where it's aimed. 50/50 POA=POI. When the core of the pattern is 3" high (POI)@ 35yds compared to POA the gun is considered to be shooting 60/40. 6" high would be 70/30 etc. Some guns are infinitately adjustable with adjustable combs,adjustable ribs,and buttplates. It's a learning curve, have fun. Joe
  6. LarryBud

LarryBud TS Member

Thanks

Just bought a citori xt for my son. 2008 model with mc stock. I am going check the gun at 13 yard with beeds stacked. What should I expect about poa vs poi at this range?

Thanks
  7. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

Larry, with a conventional rib gun like your Browning when you multiply the 13 yard POI by 3 you will get pretty close to the POI at 40 yards. For example if the gun shoots 2 inches high at 13 yards it will shoot 6 inches high at 40 yards. It is a lot easier to see where the shot hits at 13 yards than it is at 40 yards.
  8. slayer

slayer Active Member

Larry,I'm very familiar with your XT. You should expect it to shoot about 4 to 6 inches high at 30-35 yards. This is with the beads tightly stacked. If you move your comb upward or add height to it with a pad, you are going to change the sight picture. You will start to get a gap between the beads and you will move your poi upward away from your far bead. This is desirable to many trap shooters because the birds that you see on a trap range are generally moving upward and this allows you to "center punch" the bird without covering it with the bead. You always have to allow a lead for the bird moving up and this is sort of built in if you have a high poi. It just takes some time to get used to if you are used to a more "flat shooting" gun such as a field gun. Bill
  9. hmb

hmb Active Member

Don't forget about left, right, it is also very important. HMB
  10. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Larry, My XT shot 2" high or 70/30. With both barrels being regulated,ie shooting the same POI. Joe
  11. bevolt

bevolt Member

Horizontal errors in POI should average to be within 1" of POA at 13 yards for my taste. That means at 40yds the average left/right error will be less than 3.5". Any more than that, and it starts to be significant compared to the size of the pattern. Because there is random error in the gun and the shooter, you have to test POI vs. POA at least 10 times to get a valid average. Also, make sure there is no wind when you test. A 10MPH cross wind will move 8 shot 8" horizontally at 40 yards.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.