1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Gun For Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mtneer, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

All;

Would like thoughts on using a Trap gun for Sporting. I am seeing a trend towards a higher rib on sporting guns and wonder if anyone has utilized their trap o/u for sporting and what the results are. If you do, please share make and model.

thanks

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot a Superposed Broadway Trap 30", fitted with Briley chokes for Trap, Skeet, Sporting & Upland... I like to see 'um all!

regards,

Jay

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most serious sporting shooters are shooting 32" bbls, or even longer. The problem is POI/POA. So many sporting shots are dropping like rocks, high shooting guns agrivate the problem.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I shoot sporting clays 90% of the time now. Last year I went through a little over 9000 shells. That said I love trap and shot it for years. At heart, I am a trap shooter but there are NO trap shooting ranges that don’t require a 2.5 hour drive each way where I live now. I make that trip every so often but time is always a problem. So… I am stuck with sporting clays and 5 stand…..not a bad thing but I do miss my trap fix. I am also a big fan of high rib guns, not the railroad trestle type but something within reason, if you know what I mean.

So… to the question. Nothing wrong with using a trap style gun for sporting clays as long as it can be adjusted to shoot 60/40 or lower. I shoot a higher rib Perazzi that’s set to 55/45 for sporting and for trap I still use my 90/10 KS-5. As mentioned by another poster, clays has lots of dropping targets. With a gun that shoots higher that 60/40 it’s very difficult, if not impossible to have a successful day at the sporting game…believe me I have tried. I won’t bore you with the geometry, you can figure it out. I know a few high gun trap shooters that picked up used Beretta 391’s for when they shoot sporting…it’s a great sporting gun for relatively little money. Long story short…it’s not the so called type of gun it’s that it must shoot fairly flat for sporting.

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Sporting guns with high ribs still shoot flatter than trap guns it is the POI that is off on trap guns for sporting even with an adjustable comb can't get them flat enough. Most sporting guns shoot 50/50 or 60/40 the best way to do this is to use an add on rib to make the gun shoot flatter I am experimenting with this myself. The first rib made the gun shoot 10/90 way to low but would have been deadly on falling birds I assume still figureing this out.

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Nope!!! It will blow-up at the first drop of the hammer at the Sporting Clays course.

GS

7. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Some of the manufacturers are starting to recognize that shooters want 1 gun to shoot all clay sports. Guerini came out with the Summit Impact this year for this very purpose. Buddy of mine picked one up and is pretty happy with how it can be adjusted to let him shoot both Trap and Sporting Clay's.

John

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

Old one eye...how high of a rib did you add to your existing rib...??? and was it the same hight from receiver to barrel end or sight end...???

Chuck

9. billn

billn Member

I have a Browning XT that I have adjusted for shooting sporting clays. Used to use it for trap before that. Works great, hit everyone that I don't miss.

10. Liz Farr

Liz Farr TS Member

Guys, I shoot a 34" MX10 at sporting, trap,skeet,and live birds. I don't believe in having different impact points for different games. Shotguns are exactly that, it doesn't matter the pedigree: trap, skeet, sporter. They are just tools and capable of breaking targets in any game. Pick the one that fits your style of shooting the best and shoot it. By the way my POI is 100% high.

Darrell A. Farr
    Leading Edge Shooting School

11. guerini

guerini TS Member

I shoot my Magnus Trap Guerini 32in. O/U for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. It took alot of time on the skeet field to figure it out but I now have good scores in all 3, Mid 90's overall in trap, mid 90's in skeet, and mid 80's in Sporting Clays. My gun shoot 100% high so it is possible with practice, 1 thing I will suggest , if you use the same gun for all 3, DON'T CHANGE THE GUN ALL AROUND FOR EACH ONE. Set the gun up for the sport you desire the most and leave it.....

Guerini

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I shoot a Browning Superposed Broadway rib 32" for 5-stand. It's set up for trap doubles. Works fine.

M

13. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

I shoot my Guerini Magnus trap for sporing clays and it works great - but I do move the rib so that the gun shoots 50/50 VS the 100% high I use for trap doubles. I really like the more heads-up mount and better visibility I have with the higer rib as compared to the Browning Special Sporting Clays gun I had been using.

JB

14. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I Like the high ribs. I seldom shoot trap although I enjoy the heck out of it, shoot mostly sporting now. I've never shot better at sporting than with the high ribs. My favorite was a moneymaker ribbed 391 which I with I had never sold. I'm trying to decide now what I'm going to do for my next O/U. It will either be one of the high ribs or it will get customized with one in the future.

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I shoot my trap doubles gun for skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays. It's a 682 Silver Rec. Trap that shoots 100 over. I will never be a great sporting clays shooter because I refuse to change my shooting style. And yes, the falling targets are a challenge with the high poi. I am serious about my trapshooting and shoot the others for fun. If I planned to get serious about sporting clays and would get a sporting gun.

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It seems to be the latest craze. I tried it with disasterous results being that I have my 391 Trap gun set up strictly for Trap. It's got a longer LOP, higher POI and is overall much heavier than the 391 Sporting that I was used to shooting. Also, the 32" Trap barrel was like swinging an 8' 2x4 and had similar handling characteristics. Now, I'm putting together a couple of 303's that I'm setting up JUST for Sporting Clays.

The one pictured was a beat up basket case that I got from a local All American for $200. It needed a lot of work, but there was nothing seriously wrong with it. I dropped the LOP down to 14 1/4" (Trap gun is at 14 3/4"), added an adjustable comb and butt plate, worked the trigger, added an extended cocking handle (I like those for Sporting Clays), installed a DeVault bolt closure, replaced every spring (I had all of the parts) added weight to the front area of receiver tube for a more forward weight distribution (not that important with Trap, but I feel much more important for the "swinging" games like Sporting Clays). This is a MUCH less lethargic handling gun....very lively.

Here's where I'm at so far:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2874.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2872.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Funny you should ask! I shoot a browning Broadway for sporting clays. It's a 32 inch gun and it works just great. I also have a spare 32 incher for sale. It's got a 32 inch barrel with the chokes opened to .015 and .025 ( light mod and Imp. Mod. Briley porting, long forcing cones, and a kick Eez pad. The receiver and forend iron are hard chromed. I use it for a back up for my other one, but since the Corvette just ate the transmission, I am forced to sell it. I am asking $2200 and will send pictures on request. This is a nice tight gun at about 95% overall condition. It is a great sporting gun as I use it occasionally just to keep sharp on my back up gun.
    E-mail at stevefischer2@bellsouth.net or call 786-348-6369

Steve

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shoot a new Teknys trap 30" and an MX-8 with a flat rib 32" barrels for Sporting. Both guns shoot about 80/20. On the Tekny, my factory comb is as high as it will go.

I've found that I can shoot trap doubles and Sporting with the same gun, but I add (1) 1/16" shim for doubles on the MX-8. Doesn't sound like much, but it is what it is. I add another shim for singles.

It all depends on your style and if you naturally float the target. Most of my friends shoot guns in the 60/40 POI range.

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I know a few that uses their ATA guns in SC, they did ok and they think it's fine.

IMO, using ATA gun in SC is more like driving a Dodge Viper to compete with F430 Ferrari on winding country roads, you may pass the Ferrari on a 1/2 mile stretch of straight line, but when it starts to turn, good luck.

20. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have had limited success with my DT-10 trap gun because it shoots a high POI but I took my friends's Guerini trap O/U to the sporting clays range,it has an adjustable rib,when set to shoot as flat as it would it worked great.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting sporting clays with a trap gun

sporting clays forum
sporting clays forums
trap gun for sporting

trap gun for sporting clays

trap guns for sporting clays
what gun for sporting clays
wots the best hight for clay piegion sporting shoots