1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Gun for Skeet

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I am shooting in my club's skeet league this spring. Last night I shot my 7th and 8th rounds of skeet ever, of which four have been in the league. I's kind of a wimpy game, but fun. ;^)

I've been shooting with my 1187 SC gun. I have my Browning Citori Plus gun, 32" barrels, with extended chokes including cylinder and skeet. Does anyone shoot skeet with this kind of gun?

I know I could just try it, but I'd like to get opinions. The Plus is pretty heavy, which helps in trap with swing and recoil. Is it too heavy and long for skeet? My 1187 has 30" barrel and extended chokes. I use the skeet choke.

Danny

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Try it you'll like it, The gun is no heavier than a standard weight tube set. Just move your hold points out a little past paralell with the house on Hi-2 and Lo-6. Jeff

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Length wise that 32" O/U should be almost the exact length as the 11/87. It will be heavier to swing but if you can swing it well it shouldn't make differance.

Are ya shooting the 11/87 well? If you are than why switch?

4. Rottweil72

Rottweil72 TS Member

I shoot my 1100 and 391 better than my skeet o/u -- go figure! I've tried to really get into the skeet o/u with the tube sets, shot over a 1000 shells, go back and pick up the 1100 or 391 and get better scores. I reload and like the o/u for the shells, but, I guess I'll be picking up the shells off the ground in the future. Shot 100 doubles yesterday, as you know the 1100 is a soft shooter and never missed a lick, --- because of this, I ordered a new 1100 sporting 20 ga. and a 1100 sporting 410 ga. ---- I may sell my o/u ---- Bill

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If your trap gun has a normally high (for trap) POI you may have to adjust for that.

Your game will improve faster if you don't introduce another variable. Your auto sportie guns will work better with the exception of being light in front, put a 3 inch shell full of shoty in the fron end of the magazine tube rather than buying a 50 dollar weight.

HM

6. Rottweil72

Rottweil72 TS Member

Thanks "halfmile" -- I'll try the shell/shot thing.

Bill

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The first 25, 50, and 100 straights I shot in skeet were with an 1100 trap that had a imp mod barrel that used the old fork tree method of fine tuning. It was also my hunting gun at the time.

Moral, see the target, swing thru the target, break the target.

8. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I shoot skeet with my 32" K-32, which is my trap gun.

My scores actually IMPROVED when I went to a higher POI b/c I was used to the 'float' sight picture from trap. If you shoot later in the swing, it seems to help as I tend to 'apex' at my top height before pulling the trigger, not during.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use my 32" 425 sporting for skeet. It keeps you swinging.

10. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Just for giggles I shot my 32" 303 trap hi-rib at the sissy game with a skeet choke, managed a 99. Missed high 5 on the 3rd round. If it fits and you can swing it at the crossers it will work!
    larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.