1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap gun for pump or auto?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Thinking to getting back into trap after many years of not shooting. Rather small female with lots of arthritis in the hands. Wondering what gun would be a good choice with minimal recoil. Since I am a lefty think that an auto the spent hull would come back in the face. Appreciate any suggestions. Tammy

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tammy,

There are a few Remington Left-hand 1100 auto's out there. This would relieve you of the problem with the hulls. They show up on this forum from time to time for sale.

Glad to have you back shooting!

ec90t

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What price range?

4. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

At this point I am open to suggestions. Also assume that I should think along the lines of a 12 guage and not a 20. Tammy

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why not a good used beretta or browning with a Precision fit stock, If the PFS stock can adjust to the length of pull you need.<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>Here is what I did for my wife. She also is a small women with little kid hands. This is a browning gold sporting clays ladies model, I then installed a Wenig new american trap ladies left hand stock. I have seen a few 1100/1187 left hand models set up for trap on gunbroker.com A left side ejecting gun is not important. If you are looking at the target the shell or action shouldnt bother you. Also the beretta 3901 is the most adjustable gun right out of the box. Worth looking into.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A gas operated auto is a great choice for a trap gun, you will find them very comfortable to shoot. The 12 gauge is the only competative way to go with a trap gun. I am a lefty also and have both an 1187 LH and a Beretta 391 trap. Of the two, I like the 391 best for a number of reasons. Don't worry about the 391 being right hand eject, the spent shells don't come any where near your face. This forum regularly has both models offered for sale at very good prices and what ever your choice is I hope you have a good time breaking the clays.

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

MR Ducks;
    I will have to respectfully disagree about recommending the Spartan for a woman starting out; I bought one when it was still a Baikal and it kicks a LOT MORE than any 1100! The gun only weighs about 6 lbs. and kicked like a mule. I added lead to the forearm and the stock to little effect.

In fact, I sold it to one of the other frequent contributors to TS and he also dumped it asap because of the recoil. I start as many newbys as possible on 1100's and recommend them to small/younger shooters.

Just my opinion also.
    John

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a very nearly new Browning Gold Sporting clays semi-auto for sale...It is a 30" ported barrel with Hi-Viz sight in the original box and comes with a Browning Signature canvas soft case made just for that length gun..comes with all original chokes and both gas regulators for light or heavy loads..gun is 4 months old...am on a gun closet cleaning rampage..no more safe queens..If I have not used'em I'm losin 'em...$695 plus shipping to ffl if your interested email me..drop the last 2 x's

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I agree with the idea of a gas-operated auto.
    And it will have to be a 12ga if trap is your game.

I wouldn't worry about a left-handed version, since all the autoloaders I have knowledge of toss their empties to the side and FORWARD, rather than to the side/rear. (your face is safe)

10. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

i have one of the new 1100 classic traps and it is a great gun i dont shoot it any more beacuse i went to a combo cuz i didnt like it for doubles anyway it is very light and it dosent kick at all im not left handed so i dont know what its like to have the shells in your face but my sister is and she dosent have any problems with it and i dont know if all of them are like this but my grip where i put my trigger hand is super small i can wrap my hand completly around it and then some when i shoot just a suggetion

Steven

11. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

oh yea my parents paid $750 for it

Steven

12. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Tammy

I have appreciated my 1100 Classic Trap since I bought it in Dec. 2005.

Shooter size isn't a problem in my case, being a 6 - 3" "porker". However, I have had issues with migranes since I was in my teens. This can be brought on by shooting in very hot humid weather.

This is not an issue with the 1100CT, I can shoot it all day.

We have an old (old as dirt) gent at the club who shoots an older 11-87 Premire Trap left handed, the right hand ejecting gun doesn't bother him but you might want to try one for yourself, if you can to see if you have the same experience.

My wife shot trap for 12 years and had recoil "issues", her gun of choice was an 1100TA that was professionaly fitted for her. She owned and tried a number of different guns for a number of years but it finally came down to the 1100TA becoming the only trap gun she would shoot; and she shot it very well.

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

A possibility might be the Remington 105 CTi (above.) It's a bottom-eject, and with 28" barrel only weighs 7 pounds. With the gas action, their R3 recoil pad will make it very soft-shooting, even with the light weight. Negatives would be it's a field gun, so will be flat-shooting, it's only available in 26" & 28" barrels, and comb will not be parallel, as you'd want in a trap gun (but this could be built up, or an adjustable parallel comb installed, or possibly an adjustable Jack West stock added.) Pull length is 14.25", so that'd have to be cut down, but you'd find this with nearly any gun. Other possibilities would be the Beretta 3901 Reduced Length (short stock,) or Browning Gold Micro at
    http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=010B&cat_id=011&type_id=261 or (my suggestion, & my wife's favorite) a Browning BT-99 Micro at http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=009B&cat_id=017&type_id=061 although this is a single, not a repeater. -Phil E

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Welcome Back!!!! Hi! Just want to throw in my .02 cents worth. My Grand Daughter is 13 and has been shooting a Remington 1100 with 26" barrel & Rem Choke. Mostly the modified choke tube. The stock has been shortened to fit her and she shoots this really well. She is also left handed and the gun is a righty. No problems with the shells flying in her face. She uses a shell catcher for 16's & handycap but removes it for doubles. She also shoots Skeet with it now and then. I also am a lefty and use an 1100 for all the above. It's a righty and there are no problems with the shells in my face either. I use a shell catcher to. Both of these guns are field Grades. Again, Welcome Back!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.