1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Gun for a women

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

My wife is similar in size. We got her an 1100 in 12 gauge. No recoil to speak of. I really feel a 20 is a handicap for a beginning shooter. The only problem with the 1100 is that it is pretty heavy for her. She is doing some weight lifting (really) and that is helping a lot with the upper arm strength. And she REALLY enjoys trap. We are fortunate that there are quite a few women shooting here in VT.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

No, a 20 ga. is a waste of money for trap shooting. Get a 12 ga. and load or buy 7/8 oz. loads to start. That is a 20 ga. std. load, but will have less recoil in the 12 ga. Then as she becomes acustomed to shooting you can begin increasing the payload.

Buz

3. butcher

butcher Member

Beretta 391 with reduced length of pull

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

A BT99-micro plus, which has a recoil device, shortened stock, etc.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you reload you can make some pretty light 12 gauge loads.

My wife always has to have the stock cut. She has never purchased a gun made for women/youth.

As for weight. To light a gun can cause problems with recoil.

Many women don't have the upper body strength of men and need to prepare prior to serious shooting, especially at the start of the shooting year. Suggest she practices lifting the gun a number of times each day about a week or two prior to visiting the range.

You find something of interest at this link in regard to women shooters and equipment.

http://www.losttarget.com/links.html#WOMEN

6. shark1

shark1 Member

All of you should feel lucky! My latest trap gun came in and my wife picked it up and said "I want it". It needs stock work now as I posted in a prior thread. My wife took a BERETTA SO-4 TRAP. WOW. Beretta or Browning always work well and you can buy a second stock just for HER. Reload good low recoil loads and shoot together in happiness. PS Stocks do not interchange on my wife's gun. Feel lucky once again. Mike Sharkey, DC

7. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

My girlfriend has been shooting a Beretta Urika 391 Trap gun for the past few months and likes it however she is ready for a break action gun. She has been looking at the Browing BT-99 and really likes it. As far as weight, she just needs to build up her strength a little bit. Have her mount the gun several times a day and she will be ready in no time.

8. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Treefrog, best advice you got was forget the 20 guage. Trap is a 12 guage sport and Mama won't break enough targets with the 20 to stay interested. It's always hard to guage if a new shooter really will shoot for any length of time but the BT-99 or Micro is a great start. So are the Rem, Baretta auto's but they are a little more complicated to operate and clean than break open guns.

My wife sarted with a Citori O/U choke tubed gun as she started playing with trap, and sporting clay's the same season. Same size gal as yours but mine started at 55. Citori has 26 inch barrels but also had a Soft-touch to eliminate recoil. She's won a trophy with it and carries it in the Dove field. Actually killed her limit one day with it.

Bottom line, either a semi-auto with a cut comb or a break open gun with a recoil reduction system and cut comb. With the advent of kid's and more Ladies entering and moving up or quitting, you can fit your lady and be able to recoup your money when she moves up or quits with what I've described above.

9. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Flaketm you are right on. nothing else will do. This gun with some light green
    dot loads will do her just fine. Glenn Allison

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

P. O. David of Baton Rouge has a BT-99 micro plus FS - U believe for $1,200 in almost mint condition. He is at 225 928-9738.

11. mitchie17

mitchie17 TS Member

I shoot a BT-99 with a shortened stock. If your coming to the cardinal shoot I'll be there. Campsite 502 stop by and she can shoot it.

Michele

12. Wass

Wass Member

Get her a Beretta 3901 RL target in 12 ga (the RL stands for reduced length). YOu can adjust from 12-13" length of pull. Load up some 7/8oz shells to start and you will be good to go. My 11 year old daughter just started and this is what I'm using for her 1st trap gun.

13. Fathawk

Fathawk TS Member

1100 always worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best trap gun for women
females trap gun
trap gun for women

trap guns for women

trap gus for women or children
women and trap shooting