1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap gun for 12 year old left-hander

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djw0119, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djw0119

djw0119 TS Member

I need some advice for purchasing a Trap shotgun for my son. He is 12 and very interested in Trap shooting. I have read tons of information and am still up in the air on options. I am left handed too and have shot a semi-auto and the shells never really bothered me but am not sure this is the right answer for a youth. He is average size and I am worried about the recoil if I don't get a semi-auto but there are really no semi autos out there for left handed people. Trying to find a used 11-87 is difficult too. So should I just get a 3901 or 1100 and risk it, maybe get a BT-99 or micro and not worry about recoil, better options?? Thanks for your help.

2. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi, I'm a lefty too, and never found a gun to suit...what I did find was a system...PFS. What guns do you have in the safe? Advertise on here for a l/h pfs, get a grip to suit an unused gun in your safe and your son will never look back. If he loses interest later the gun is still yours, the PFS will not lose value and you might even be able to flick off the grip as well. FWIW. Kind Regards-Graham.

3. johara1

johara1 TS Member

a left hand 1100 with a short stock then get a jack west stock then he can play all the games........jim

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I agree with the opinions on the lefty 1100 or 1187. Used ones can be found, but they're less common of course, than right-handed models.

Its what I got for my daughter when she started trap shooting, and she's still using it. I started her off with a 28" barrel and a shortened adjustable stock. We updated with a new trap barrel and new stock when she grew out of the first one.

The nice thing about the 1100/1187's is there is no cast or toe-out to the stocks, so a right-hand stock will work for a lefty.

The Jack West stocks are nice, but you can do the same thing with a wooden "Express" monte carlo stock and a trip to someone good like Greg Hissem, if you don't like the black plastic.

One thing to watch out for with small shooters, in addition to the LOP, is the grip curvature. Smaller hands like a small radius.

5. djw0119

djw0119 TS Member

Thanks for the advice. Anyone know where I can get a L-H 1100 or 1187 for shooting trap? I am actually thinking of getting one for myself in addition to my son. I don't see any online anywhere. thanks again for the advice.

6. rlb

rlb TS Member

Try Capitol City Arms, Springfield, IL.

217-585-7199.

I believe that they have one of each.

RLB

7. johara1

johara1 TS Member

i have a left hand 1100 trap that was made in the 70's it only has 2500 - 3000 rds. shot out of it. it has a .740 bore,forcing cone and impmod.choke done by briley. also a bunch of spare parts all for 500 plus shipping....jim

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Check out the PFS stocks. See if you have the LOP you will need. As far as recoil AA feather lites and STS managed recoil for factory shells work great for my wife. She is LH as well as I am. What I think you need to find out is your son LeftEye domminate? If you come to find out he is right eye dom Get him shooting righty. I ended up with a browning gold sporting 12g for my wife with a wenig New American ladies trap stock fitted to her needs. But if I where to do it it again with out spending extra money. A beretta 3901RL would be the way. Ir is the most adjustable right out of the box. shims for pitch,cast and adjustable comb plus spacers for for lop. I have found with most youth models only thing they are good for is hunting. Most will not fit correctly for shooting several rounds of trap. timb99 mentioned grip. The wenig was key to my wifes shooting comfort. the grip to trigger length on most "youth guns" is unchanged. On the wenig it is shortened quit a bit. Haveing a gun that fits will be key. My wife was ready to give up until I hooked her up with a gun that fit. Your best bet if find kids in his age and size and see if they will let you try their guns. Wenig makes several youth/ladies models for a range of guns. These can be purchased reasonably and fit and finish is not to complicated. <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Here is what I ended up with for my wife. The white line indicates the shorter trigger grip.

9. arms1938

arms1938 TS Member

I have 2 left hand 1100's for sale, one with Anton stock & forarm, one with Jack West Adj Comb. Both have High rib barrel's
    Drop me a e mail and I will send pictures.

Mike

10. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

I would like some 1100 lefty pic's. Thanks Mike

11. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I have a Beretta Special Trap, $350. A good single barrel trap gun esp for younger or inexperiences shooters. Its my loaner gun for women and kids, I also loan them 7/8 ozshells and never had a recoil complaint. ezystr@paulbunyan.net

12. burgy

burgy TS Member

When my son started shooting, I was thinking of a Browning XT, but considered the weight. He was of short stature so didn't want him to be uncomfortable after two traps. I decided on a Browning BT-99 micro and it has turned out to be the right gun for him. After countless straights with it, I gave him my 90T and said let's see how good you are with this. After two more straights with it he gave it back and said he'd stick with his Micro. That was two years ago and he is now taller than I am, but refuses to part with it. Great beginner gun and very reasonable.

13. wannaz

wannaz Member

I'd also recommend a BT99 micro. My son is now 13, he got the micro last July ( 2006 ) and has never once complained about recoil with the gun. My son sounds a lot like Burgy's son, except that he hasn't out grown me yet. He's still smaller than a lot of his buddies but is growing fast the past 6 months or so. The best my boy has to date is a 24 on singles, he still hasn't quite figured out the caps yet, he's all over the place from low teens to around 20 from the 20 to 24 yrd. range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.