1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap gun brusing face

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

My 11 yr old son shot 75 rounds last night and now has a nice bruise on his face. He is shooting an 1100 classic trap with adj comb and a hart adj LOP. The loads he was shooting are running about 1185 8 shot. What do I need to adjust to help him?

Thanks Corey

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

He's most likely lifting his head off the comb. Check to make sure he can clearly see over the back of the receiver, if he can't try raising the comb until he can.

Eric

3. MOP

MOP Active Member

If he is heavy set, he may need more down pitch.

4. Robb

Robb Member

Soft comb. They can do wonders.

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Dose the gun fit him ? Is the LOP correct ? There are a lot of questions that must be asked and analysed in order to give you a real answer. I would ask someone at the club who might be able to help him.

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Spend the money and get him with a fitter. The Country Gentleman is very good as is David DeBerry and there are several others. Thing is, the gun hurts! And it will have a lasting effect in the name of flinching. Who ever you get him with will not only fit a stock, they will set him up with the proper shooting stance and hold so he won't have the trouble many of us older shooters wish we did not have. This is not a short term fix for a growing boy. What he will learn will follow through his entire shooting career. MONEY VERY WELL SPENT
    You will also find in short order that the two I named and David DeVall love kids and will do most anything to help a youngster. You may pay full fare but your boy will get far more than your moneys worth.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1 - Reduce shot load to 7/8 ounce.

2 - Fill a couple of empty hulls with shot, crimp them and tape the crimp to keep it closed. Put the 2 shells in the magazine tube in front of the magazine spring.

3 - Put one or two washers between the top of the butt pad and the stock. Put them on the top screw and tighten. HMB

8. gasman03

gasman03 Member

In march I had the gun work and fitted by Greg Hissem. I have 7/8oz loads and will try that.

Thanks Corey

9. Robb

Robb Member

I bet his mount is inconsistent and it only hits him sometimes. Once is all it takes to ruin the day. For a kid I think a soft top would help but I do not coach.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The gun kicking has never bothered me. My problem (among others) is that I "crawl the stock" and dig my face into the comb. I fixed it with a soft top. No more bruises. Check to see that your young shooter isn't digging in too hard.

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Corey,

The gun doesn't fit your son or an element of his shooting form needs correction, very possibly his gun mount. The cheek slap he is experiencing could be caused by inadequate pitch on the stock or a wrong comb height (along with other, less frequent causes). More than that is impossible to say.

Rollin

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A bruise on the face is improper fit or form. It doesn't matter who fitted what. It needs to be re-evaluated. Sometimes taking a decent quality video can help. Play it back in slow motion, frame by frame and see what's happening. Be sure to take video from ALL directions. Get several opinions before doing ANYTHING else. Once you have an idea of what the problem is, then you can take steps to correct it.

13. butcher

butcher Member

I had the same problem. Have him lift the gun to his face and keep his head erect without tilting his cheek downward on the comb.You will be surprised.

14. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

The video idea is a good one , besides that if its really pounding him he needs to stop as bad habits can form that can be detrimental to his shooting. Find a stock fitter that is reputable and get it fixed ASAP.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

When you have done all of that try putting some vaseline on his cheek.

Don

16. Cush

Cush TS Member

You don't say how big the loads are. They need to be very light for many 11 year olds. He could pressing his face into the comb too hard, too.

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

By the speeds mentioned , if he is shooting factory ammo-sounds like 1 oz Rem Gun Club or STS. shells. These loads especially the STS may have a real sharp feel for an 11 year old. Try the 7/8 oz managed recoil shells.

Phil Berkowitz

18. kie95

kie95 Member

I just went thru this with my 13 year old son. An 1100 and 7/8 oz loads are not the problem so it has to be as stated in here fit or pitch. Something to look for when he shoots is if he wears a hat look at it when he makes his shot if it jumps up he is getting hit from a bad pitch. Also look to see if he's picking up his head, that with a bad pitch will cause him to loose teeth. Someone already said here a cheap way to find out pitch is to add a couple washes behind the top of the pad and see if it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

face is bruished from shooting trap

fat face shooting trap